PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a SW model 19 today

battleship
03-15-2009, 12:47 AM
But im thinking in don't want to keep her, my question is will this create any alarm bells with the DOJ if i sell it this week PPT. Or is it considered normal to them if you sell it with in the same week that you completed the purchase.
my purpose for selling it is to fund another purchase so to me it seems perfectly normal but do they flag this as possibly suspect.

battleship
03-15-2009, 2:04 AM
Bump because i need an answer on this one.

Gryff
03-15-2009, 3:09 AM
I don't think it's a major flag if it's a one-time thing. I know that you aren't allowed to sell more than six (?) in a year unless you have an FFL. And I would expect that if they see you turning over several guns this rapidly, it might raise some alarms.

The only other way that it might red flag is if you are an LEO buying a non-rostered firearm and then selling it as a PPT right away. That might look like a straw purchase.

battleship
03-15-2009, 3:26 AM
Thats interesting, only allowed to sell 6 handguns a year, yet i see large collections up for sale all the time here, so whats up with that?

Gryff
03-15-2009, 3:28 AM
Thats interesting, only allowed to sell 6 handguns a year, yet i see large collections up for sale all the time here, so whats up with that?

California DOJ may take an uncomfortable amount of interest in them. I've never heard of anyone being charged for this, but there is a law on the books regarding this limit.

battleship
03-15-2009, 3:38 AM
Thanks for your info Gryff.

sorensen440
03-15-2009, 10:41 AM
just picked up and no pictures ???????
you know better then that :p

B Strong
03-15-2009, 10:52 AM
But im thinking in don't want to keep her, my question is will this create any alarm bells with the DOJ if i sell it this week PPT. Or is it considered normal to them if you sell it with in the same week that you completed the purchase.
my purpose for selling it is to fund another purchase so to me it seems perfectly normal but do they flag this as possibly suspect.

You can dispose of 5 handguns a year in California without triggering DOJ interest.

To the best of my knowledge there's no wording that limits or mandates the period of time between purchase and disposal.

BillCA
03-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm more interested in the Model 19. Which dash number? 2-1/2, 3, 4 or 6 inch barrel? Original grips, target grips or aftermarket? Got the box? :D

As far as DOJ is concerned, only if you make a habit of buying and selling guns with fast turn-arounds will they really get interested. Doing it once or twice won't really trigger anything. If they do ask, you bought it specifically as trade-fodder for another gun.

sorensen440
03-15-2009, 11:17 AM
If they do ask, you bought it specifically as trade-fodder for another gun.
wouldn't that be what they are trying to stop you from doing by limiting you to 6 hg's a year ?

rg_1111@yahoo.com
03-15-2009, 7:45 PM
Good gun. Combat Magnum. +1 on BillCA post. ???

scotty1111
03-15-2009, 7:58 PM
My 4" Model 19 was the sweetest wheel gun I ever owned.

Professor Frink
03-15-2009, 8:05 PM
Whatever you decide, I'm sure lots of revolver nerds like myself will look forward to the opportunity to pick-up a nice Mdl 19.

battleship
03-15-2009, 8:06 PM
Will post pics tonight, hopefully. Its the model 19 Texas ranger 4 inch barrel,which comes in a wooden box with a matching knife, the bluing is as good as any Python that i own if not better, its the 19-3 with wood combat grips which are the original. It was an impulse buy and i doubt i would shoot this gun.
It has the faintest of cylinder drag lines so i doubt it was shot much.

Interesting thing, is the barrel is almost a gold blue, what i mean by that is SW must have some process in which they lay gold paint down first on the metal then blue over it to bring out the roll marks of Texas Ranger 357 magnum, which appear in gold relief. Resulting in a difference in the frame and cylinder blue to that of the barrel.

The best thing i can say about this model 19, 4" barrel is - it has the best all round balance in the hand than any revolver i have, and that is not a future sales pitch, i have a SW model 27 with a 3.5' barrel that seems like im holding a brick when compared to the model 19, the 4 inch Python is sweet to look at but in the hand the 19 feels like a true extension of my arm, perhaps its the grips that do it. any way pics to come shortly. Thanks for your interest and advice.

battleship
03-16-2009, 1:17 AM
here are some pics, sorry about my crappy camera work and the crappy location, on top of the crapper.

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo338/battleship67/python820.jpg

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo338/battleship67/python827.jpg

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo338/battleship67/python829.jpg

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo338/battleship67/python826.jpg

mvpatriot
03-16-2009, 1:24 AM
gorgeous, looks like a keeper

battleship
03-16-2009, 1:27 AM
Im going to stew on it for a week to see if i shall let it go or keep it, thanks for the compliment.

BillCA
03-16-2009, 2:07 AM
The Texas Ranger Commemorative was made in 1973. There were 8,000 made with the knife and 2,000 without. 50 Specimens were Class A engraved with a knife and Case. Special serial number range of TR-1 thru TR10000. A 10% premium for serial numbers below 1000 sold through the Texas Ranger Commission.

Interesting thing, is the barrel is almost a gold blue, what i mean by that is SW must have some process in which they lay gold paint down first on the metal then blue over it to bring out the roll marks of Texas Ranger 357 magnum, which appear in gold relief. Resulting in a difference in the frame and cylinder blue to that of the barrel.

The gold lettering and inlay of the emblem is done after the marks and rolled and the gun is blued. A metal powder consisting of brass and some gold is mixed with a solvenated resin. The area is degreased and the mixture carefully applied until it fills in the low spots. Another solvent (e.g. alcohol) is used to remove the material from the high points, leaving the low spots filled with "gold".

A commercial version is sold under the name "Bonanza Gold" and was a rage in the 60's and 70's.

Over time, some of the resin cracks or shrinks and allow some of the powdered metal to escape. Sometimes this sticks on the surface of the gun and gives it a goldish hue. It can usually be removed by using an alcohol saturated Q-Tip or patch and some rubbing.

Those smooth "presentation" grips have always been a favorite of mine. They're actually slightly narrower than standard targets. I have a set on my M67 and M58 and wish I could find more.

BillCA
03-16-2009, 2:10 AM
wouldn't that be what they are trying to stop you from doing by limiting you to 6 hg's a year ?
Even if it is and he has not done more than 6 transactions, there's nothing illegal about it.

I also posit that such a law is unconstitutional in that it forms a "taking" under the 5th Amendment. If I have a large collection of 9mm 1911's which suddenly become a hot commodity, the state says I may not trade my collection for cash NOW, but must wait and possibly/probably lose money.