PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR PROBLEM WITH C-PRODUCTS 10/20 MAGAZINES!!!

rumble phish
03-14-2009, 9:58 PM
To anyone who has purchased any 10/20 mags made by C-Products and sold by RifleGear, be aware that while at the range today I was able to put 11 rounds each into both of my C-Products 10/20 magazines! I thought it was a fluke at first but when I unloaded them and tried again the result was the same. I have had these magazines for several months and have taken them to the range on more than one occasion. To be honest I never tried to put an eleventh round in them before so I'm not sure if they have been like this all along or if maybe the spring has weakened or something. I will be calling RifleGear first thing on Monday to let them know about this, but in the meantime I disassembled both of them and put them back in my safe. They WILL NOT be used again! I shudder to think what may have happened if there were any LEO's at the range who decided they wanted to "look" at my guns. :eek:

Anyway, the bottom line here is to CHECK YOUR MAGAZINES. I've heard of the Stag 10/30's having similar problems. If you have any C-Products 10/20's please check them before you wind up in the pokey!!

Seesm
03-14-2009, 10:05 PM
I have seen this posted here before and it is a "issue" but just call where you got em from and they should ok to swap for another. But I had a mag awhiel ago you could "STUFF" a 11th round in but it would not feed it... It would only feed if 10 were loaded... Does that count at all! :)

rumble phish
03-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I have seen this posted here before and it is a "issue" but just call where you got em from and they should ok to swap for another. But I had a mag awhiel ago you could "STUFF" a 11th round in but it would not feed it... It would only feed if 10 were loaded... Does that count at all! :)

As I understand the law, and I'm not about to test my theory, if the magazine can ACCEPT an 11th round it is illegal. Period. Whether it can successfully feed all 11 rounds into the gun is irrelevant.

I'm going to be calling Riflegear on Monday morning. I'm confident that they will take care of me and the situation. But i will no longer use modified hi-cap mags just for the sake of looking "cool". I will only use actual 10 round mags from now on.

hoffmang
03-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Calm down.

The worst that could ever be argued is that you imported large-capacity magazines. However, you clearly intended to import 10 round magazines. Possession of 11 round magazines is not illegal. Intent and mens-rea matter.

You can always call C-Products and ask them to remedy the situation.

-Gene

rumble phish
03-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Calm down.

The worst that could ever be argued is that you imported large-capacity magazines. However, you clearly intended to import 10 round magazines. Possession of 11 round magazines is not illegal. Intent and mens-rea matter.

-Gene

Sam
03-14-2009, 10:40 PM
It seems like keeping the invoice may be valuable in case of LEO harassment.

ETD1010
03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Calm down.

-Gene

I think the issue may be related to the fact that you have a fixed mag rifle with a magazine capable of more than 10 rounds; not having the magazine itself. Then again, if it won't feed, I'm not sure if that counts. either way, I'd get it fixed.

tenpercentfirearms
03-14-2009, 11:05 PM
We have been warning people to check their magazine capacity for years now. Never assume your magazine holds ten rounds even if the manufacturer claims it does.

The DOJ told me over the phone (which means this is worthless) that they don't sweat this one as long as the manufacturer claims it is a 10 rounder.

hoffmang
03-14-2009, 11:09 PM
I think the issue may be related to the fact that you have a fixed mag rifle with a magazine capable of more than 10 rounds; not having the magazine itself. Then again, if it won't feed, I'm not sure if that counts. either way, I'd get it fixed.

And that is a VERY good point.

Simply having the 11/30 magazine isn't much of a problem.

Placing an 11/30 into a Bullet Button built AR is a serious problem.

-Gene

Seesm
03-15-2009, 12:40 AM
We have been warning people to check their magazine capacity for years now. Never assume your magazine holds ten rounds even if the manufacturer claims it does.

The DOJ told me over the phone (which means this is worthless) that they don't sweat this one as long as the manufacturer claims it is a 10 rounder.

Good point but I would NOT take that DOJ call at any kind of value... OUCH.

Hans Gruber
03-15-2009, 1:46 AM
My only problems with my CProducts 10/20's from Riflegear is that they really suck :( Somethings wrong with the feedlips where it can hardly keep the rounds in the mags plus the finish is peeling off like no tomorrow after only maybe a hundred rounds through each.

Do I shrug and say oh well or try to return them?

luchador768
03-15-2009, 10:57 AM
My only problems with my CProducts 10/20's from Riflegear is that they really suck :( Somethings wrong with the feedlips where it can hardly keep the rounds in the mags plus the finish is peeling off like no tomorrow after only maybe a hundred rounds through each.

Do I shrug and say oh well or try to return them?

C-Product 10/20 mags are garbage IMHO, I have had nothing but problems with mine.

U2BassAce
03-15-2009, 11:43 AM

That is good (I HOPE). I have actual 10 round C Products mags that will hold 11 rounds.

luchador768
03-15-2009, 12:31 PM
On a side note, isn't sad that California gun owners have been reduced to wringing our hands about 11 rounds accidently fitting into a mag designed to take 20 rounds.

Swiss
03-15-2009, 3:01 PM
That is good (I HOPE). I have actual 10 round C Products mags that will hold 11 rounds.

Which model? I have two of the C-Products 10 round mags and they will only accept 10 rounds. I have not had any problems with them. See here for the model (http://www.cproductsllc.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22_26)

gn3hz3ku1*
04-20-2009, 9:26 PM
gene,

since the op did not break any laws in acquiring what is now a 10+ rd mag aka highcap. does that mean the op can legally convert to a 'regular' mag with a rebuilt kit?

And that is a VERY good point.

Simply having the 11/30 magazine isn't much of a problem.

Placing an 11/30 into a Bullet Button built AR is a serious problem.

-Gene

fleegman
04-21-2009, 3:38 AM
I purchased some of those 10/20's last year, and noticed several of them accepted an 11th round. I kept the mags and refuse to get myself worked up over these sorts of issues.

rumble phish
04-21-2009, 10:01 AM
I purchased some of those 10/20's last year, and noticed several of them accepted an 11th round. I kept the mags and refuse to get myself worked up over these sorts of issues.

Of the two i purchased from Riflegear only one would accept and 11th rouond. These were the ones that were tabbed by C-products, no the ones blocked by RG.

the people at RG were totally cool about the situation and told me to return them and they would replace with the the actual 10 rounders and give me credit fo rthe diference in price. Rifle Gear is a class act! :thumbsup:

BUT.......

after taking a long look at teh mag in question i realized what teh problem was. the side tabs that were meant to keep the follower at a certain level were not pushed in as far as on the other mag. i took a small screwdriver and pushed them in just a hair and BINGO! It'll only hold 10 rounds now :)

just gotta check your tabs. I think the blocked versions that RG makes are probably better, but I'm happy now :)

spdrcr
04-21-2009, 10:13 AM
gene,

since the op did not break any laws in acquiring what is now a 10+ rd mag aka highcap. does that mean the op can legally convert to a 'regular' mag with a rebuilt kit?

No.

Technically he did break the law by importing what was determined to be a high capacity magazine. Since that was not his intent, it would likely be overlooked to the extent that the purchaser was trying to resolve the situation. If the purchaser willfully converted that mag using a rebuild kit he would be guilty of importing and/or manufaturing a high capacity magazine which he did not own prior to the ban.

gn3hz3ku1*
04-21-2009, 10:18 AM
No.

Technically he did break the law by importing what was determined to be a high capacity magazine. Since that was not his intent, it would likely be overlooked to the extent that the purchaser was trying to resolve the situation. If the purchaser willfully converted that mag using a rebuild kit he would be guilty of importing and/or manufaturing a high capacity magazine which he did not own prior to the ban.

hmm someone sent me something i didnt order.. i committed no crime.

spdrcr
04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
hmm someone sent me something i didnt order.. i committed no crime.

If you receive it and keep it you did.