View Full Version : polishing 1911 good idea?

03-14-2009, 2:22 AM
it's my very first hand gun, the 1911 springfield. it came in black and i was wondering if i polish it there would be any problems with rust down the road. Under that paint would anyone know what kinda of metal it is? hopefully they just painted black over SS metal. i love the SS polish metal look to it.

well if it is not SS under and i do polish it. put a nice film of oil over it would there be any problems down the road? it would be great hearing your input. thanks ahead of time.

this is the model i have.

03-14-2009, 7:04 AM
More than likely it's not stainless steel underneath that paint. If it was stainless they would've specified it. Which part of the gun are you thinking about polishing, slide sides, side of frame, or the whole gun? You can probably get away with polishing the side of the slide. As long as you're not planning of prolonged outing in the rain or jumping into the sea the polished bare metal should fair out as long as you wipe it down with oily rag after handling. My advice - don't do it.

03-14-2009, 7:28 AM
Im with him ^^^^
If you want a polished/SS 1911 then sell this one and go buy that one

03-14-2009, 7:34 AM
it's just steel under the coating, do what you want, just oil the exposed metal. It's not a collectable at the moment and it's cheap enough to experiment. I would rather find a used $400-$500 one that has scratches and experiment but your new price and this one is not too far off. Hell, take the thing down to the last pin and learn the mechanics of the 1911, do it a few times, so that you know how a 1911 was designed (it's engenius). When you polish, do it with the grain of the metal, that way you get no swirls. Good luck

03-14-2009, 8:17 AM
The mil-spec is parkerized over carbon steel. You will need more than just a light coat of oil all over the gun to keep it from rusting. Not a good idea. If you want a pimped out gun, you need to get a nickel plated one or a polished stainless steel gun.

03-14-2009, 8:38 AM
NO! :nuts:

03-14-2009, 4:14 PM
Right on, Thanks you for your inputs. i think i will leave as it as and maybe buy a SS slide later on