PDA

View Full Version : Pistol - Loctite Thread Protector Legal?

Adog5
03-14-2009, 1:42 AM
If my pistol has a thread on it, can I locktite a thread protector so you can't attach anything to it? Would this be good enough to not be considered a pistol with a threaded barrel?

AK4me
03-14-2009, 1:44 AM
It needs to be permanent.

Tony.
03-14-2009, 7:36 AM
Blind pin or silver solder paste (1100 degree stuff)

ke6guj
03-14-2009, 10:24 AM
It depends. CA allowed for Walther to replace the barrel nuts on the P22 with new a smooth-sided nut that does not have wrench flats on it, and red loc-titie, IIRC. Red loc-tite is good enough for the P22, but is is good enough for your handgun, I dunno. Probably depend on CADOJ and a jury.

tonelar
03-14-2009, 11:12 AM
is the thread protector knurled or flat sided?

Jonathan Doe
03-14-2009, 11:40 AM
If you silver solder it, the barrel gets heated and it may change the property of the barrel steel. I wouldn't recommend it. My friend just had a machinist take out the thread on a lathe. In my opinion, the red locktite should be okay.

tonelar
03-14-2009, 1:55 PM
legally your gonna want to stay clean on this
those recommending anything other than silver solder, blind pinning or removing the threads aren't gonna go to court with you if it gets you on the wrong end of a LE encounter.

Note: If you're going to catch it for having a threaded bbl. Chances are you are gonna be charged with something more serious anyway.

Adog5
03-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied to me. I think I'm gonna get the threads machined off (not worth it).

JTROKS
03-18-2009, 7:16 AM
Can anyone point me to which regulation or amendment that dictates how a threaded handgun barrel can be modified to where it will not break this law, "(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer."???

I've been told many times that the thread protector must be mounted in a permanent manner via high temp silver solder and blind pin. The regulation clearly states, "Capable of accepting" If permanent Loctite is used, I'm thinking it will take a lot of heat, a vise and a wrench to take the thread protector off just to expose the threads. If "Bullet Buttons" became legal because a tool is involved in separating the magazine from the gun, shouldn't the same apply to thread protectors?

SanMiguel3
03-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Can anyone point me to which regulation or amendment that dictates how a threaded handgun barrel can be modified to where it will not break this law, "(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer."???

I've been told many times that the thread protector must be mounted in a permanent manner via high temp silver solder and blind pin. The regulation clearly states, "Capable of accepting" If permanent Loctite is used, I'm thinking it will take a lot of heat, a vise and a wrench to take the thread protector off just to expose the threads. If "Bullet Buttons" became legal because a tool is involved in separating the magazine from the gun, shouldn't the same apply to thread protectors?

In principle I agree with you. However, I think Locktite use has enough "iffy" factor that some young ADA might want to take a shot at presenting it to the jury. Then anything can happen.

dfletcher
03-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied to me. I think I'm gonna get the threads machined off (not worth it).

I would ID first what you are going to use on the end of the barrel before having the barrel muzzle machined - make certain that whatever the new outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle is matches the inside diameter of your new muzzle cap/protector. If you make them match, loctite or epoxy should hold it on a 22.

DocSkinner
03-18-2009, 10:56 AM
In principle I agree with you. However, I think Locktite use has enough "iffy" factor that some young ADA might want to take a shot at presenting it to the jury. Then anything can happen.

would agree here -

silver soldering is pretty easy, and shoudl definitely meet the requirements. You could also have a gunsmith shorten and recrown, or just get a replacement barrel and use it. I don't think its illegal to have the barrel with threads, only a firearm with a threaded barrel...

Is this one of the Walther .22 cal pistols? I think they were offering some mod to make it legal.