PDA

View Full Version : Legal definition of sniperscope (PC 468)?

Shotbot
10-28-2005, 2:15 PM
A sniperscope is defined as a device made or adapted for use on a firearm, that enables the operator to detect objects during nighttime through the use of a projected infrared light source and an electronic telescope. (Penal Code 468.)

It seems to me that this definition wouldn't apply to any nightvision that doesn't project light. Anyone seen such scopes for sale in CA?

sparrow
10-28-2005, 6:22 PM
what suck's is you still can't hunt with it at night. are you sure the law dosen't apply to any electical optical device or is there a written magnification limit on the books?

Brass Balls
10-28-2005, 6:39 PM
Telescopes magnify. NVD's amplify.

A buddy of mine who's a pro gun public defender in a rural county broke it down to that.

Use for other than target shooting is either poaching or murder.

What about for varmint/coyote hunting where there isn't a season?

MadMex
10-28-2005, 7:19 PM
What about for varmint/coyote hunting where there isn't a season?
Im very interested in the interpretation on this Q. I have yotes dropn deuces at the edge of my driveway, in front of my garage. Im 400+ feet off the road, out in the county, with excellent backstop before the road. I have an M3 on the 7615P, and am willing to drop some serious $ for a NVD.

Skammy
10-31-2005, 12:42 AM
The use of the word "telescope" disqualifies a number of units available since their optics only produce a 1:1 image at the ocular.

Go to any CA gunshow. For a good (Gen 3), non magnified one you're looking at a couple of grand.

These guys are located in South San Francisco, CA:
http://www.atncorp.com/NightVision/NightVisionWeaponSights

Also a modular configuration such as an NVD mounted behind an Aimpoint or Eotech red dot fails to qualify as a a "Sniperscope".

This law has been on the books for decades, and it was meant to outlaw these:

http://users.adelphia.net/%7Edodge360/m1infrared.jpg

What about a monocular mounted to the front of a scope :confused:

Bruce
11-03-2005, 10:35 AM
A sniperscope is defined as a device made or adapted for use on a firearm, that enables the operator to detect objects during nighttime through the use of a projected infrared light source and an electronic telescope. (Penal Code 468.)

It seems to me that this definition wouldn't apply to any nightvision that doesn't project light. Anyone seen such scopes for sale in CA?

Unfortunately, most of the NVD riflescopes on the market have built in infrared light source, and that makes them as a "sniper-scope" under 468PC. However, since the qualifier is the a projected infrared light source, an NVD riflescope without an infrared light on it would be legal. The trick is finding one! :D

Clodbuster
11-04-2005, 10:51 PM
ATN makes several scopes with a removable IR.

Clod

Unfortunately, most of the NVD riflescopes on the market have built in infrared light source, and that makes them as a "sniper-scope" under 468PC. However, since the qualifier is the a projected infrared light source, an NVD riflescope without an infrared light on it would be legal. The trick is finding one! :D