PDA

View Full Version : gun shops and display models

luisdeleon
03-13-2009, 9:29 PM
was wondering if all dealers new guns that are in the display counter are just that, and you get a NIB from the back? or just depends on the dealer? they sell you what is on desply. was just thinking that if i buy a new gun i want it untouched by others. you know how many hands those guns go through. almost like your getting a used gun, except for the barrel.

Shane916
03-13-2009, 9:31 PM
was wondering if all dealers new guns that are in the display counter are just that, and you get a NIB from the back? or just depends on the dealer? they sell you what is on desply. was just thinking that if i buy a new gun i want it untouched by others. you know how many hands those guns go through. almost like your getting a used gun, except for the barrel.

Truly depends on the item and dealer.

paintballergb
03-13-2009, 9:34 PM
They will usually give you what's in stock. If they only have one then you'll get the display, if they have a few of them then you'll get one out of the back. I usually ask because I am not a fan of the displays since people are always dry firing them and doing weird things with them.

The SoCal Gunner
03-13-2009, 9:34 PM
My experience is that you usually get a NIB gun in the back unless they don't have any in stock in which case you would have the option of taking the display model.

antiocharmory
03-13-2009, 9:35 PM
For us, normally what is in the shelf is what you get. We don't have the capital to keep a large supply of stock. On a positive note, our guns don't spend much time on the shelf because they sell rather quickly. And as of late, we're selling guns before they even touch the shelf. People see us bringing in guns that we just received from a distributor and they want to buy it before we can even log the gun into our books. But again it will depend on the dealer and how easily they can buy large quantities of firearms to keep in stock.

mike452
03-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I bought a Colt at the gun show and they gave me the same gun 10 days later.

I ask now!

Jonathan Doe
03-14-2009, 7:36 AM
Some dealers won't sell the display model.

CSACANNONEER
03-14-2009, 7:56 AM
Some dealers won't sell the display model.

and, other dealers display everything they stock. It just depends on what type of shop you go into.

tankerman
03-14-2009, 8:32 AM
I usually ask because I am not a fan of the displays since people are always dry firing them and doing weird things with them. Nothing wrong with dry firing, unless it's a 22.

Who in their right mind would buy a gun without dry firing it first?

Rob454
03-14-2009, 8:34 AM
Ive seen both. where the dealer sells what he has on display and/or gives you a new one from the back and the display is the display. Personally if I buy a display I definately ask for a discount. 99% of the time I get it. if they dont I ask for a new gun. if they say what you see is what you get and they wont discount it then i dont buy. I dont care abotu buying a "used" display gun. Its a freaking gun how used can it be really? Other than that my purchase hinges MORE on the attitude of the salesman or the shop as a whole.
To me getting a bargain is just that getting a bargain and i personally like to haggle. if I cant get a bargain I pay asking price if I want it bad enough. But I usually can find a bargain 99% if the time

Zesty
03-14-2009, 9:57 AM
^ I agree if I ever bought a display it would have to be at a discount.

The only analogy(probably a poor one) I can give is electronics....an "open-box" buy or display model is almost always going to be at a pretty deep discount.

Look Wat I kAn DO !
03-14-2009, 10:05 AM
my xd was a display model but they had just received them the same day and no discount($540). It came out to 606 out the door with DRO's. 2 weeks later i found the same gun for 485. ouch! :censored:

prob
03-14-2009, 10:11 AM
It really makes no difference to me. Heck, sometimes the display model is nicer than what might be in stock. Also, if a gun is in any way damaged from being dry fired (which is a myth of epic proportions) the darned thing is not worth having anyway.

12voltguy
03-14-2009, 10:28 AM
It really makes no difference to me. Heck, sometimes the display model is nicer than what might be in stock. Also, if a gun is in any way damaged from being dry fired (which is a myth of epic proportions) the darned thing is not worth having anyway.

there ya go
I think the org poster was joking:p

Jonathan Doe
03-14-2009, 12:44 PM
I wanted to buy a GSG rifle on display from the Martin B. Retting, and they said they won't sell it.

12voltguy
03-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I wanted to buy a GSG rifle on display from the Martin B. Retting, and they said they won't sell it.

they likelyget a ton of attention with it on display & have trouble getting more in stock, so won't sell.
I got mine of GB $550- FREE SHIPPING
I posted sellers contact info in commerical section if interested

jasilva
03-14-2009, 1:26 PM
It's a tool folks, not a piece of artwork that can't be touched. If you worry that much about someone touching/handling a gun before you buy it your probably the guy who will make a grab for his loaded gun at the range when he drops it.:eek:

just sayin'

luisdeleon
03-14-2009, 1:40 PM
well, i take care of my things and am very carfull them, i like to have them last a long time.

proudamerican831
03-14-2009, 1:44 PM
deleted

jasilva
03-14-2009, 2:15 PM
well, i take care of my things and am very carfull them, i like to have them last a long time.

I do also, but it's a tool.

12voltguy
03-14-2009, 2:26 PM
I do also, but it's a tool.

I guess a customer holding one in the shop wears it out:p

tonelar
03-14-2009, 2:47 PM
It depends on the shop- some won't let you turn the cylinder.

While other shops let customers dry fire etc. I dont buy from those places.

If you wanna play you're gonna have to pay.

CaliGunOwner
03-14-2009, 9:30 PM
Use to depend on the dealer -- but since product has been tough to get in recently, I would think you get the one you dros'd -- get the one on display

fairfaxjim
03-14-2009, 10:09 PM
It's really easy to figure this one out. It's called communication. Like has already been said, it can be anything from still in the box to fondled like a $20 hooker. TALK to the guy your'e buying it from. If they don't have another (some will, some won't, some that normally would don't that day, whatever), then inspect the one you're looking at carefully, and work out a deal. If you don't get the deal you want, nobody is going to make you buy it. I've bought both from the case and from the back. Some I got a discount for a scratch or nick, some I paid full price. I shoot all of them, they get dirty, they get hot, they get used, they get cleaned, and none of them are new now.

Sam
03-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Nothing wrong with dry firing, unless it's a 22.

Who in their right mind would buy a gun without dry firing it first?

I'd be more worried about screwy people dropping the slide on an empty chamber...it gives me shivers just thinking about such ridiculousness. In all honesty, even though there's probably nothing wrong with a display model I always ask for a brand new one in the back. I think it's mostly psychological, I want one that's unmolested and can be the first one to play with it.

aceventura
03-14-2009, 11:50 PM
I think a lot of people touch your gun before you take it home. Guns need to be test fired/function tested before they leave the factory and they give you a couple of the spent casings with the gun.

tankerman
03-15-2009, 7:47 AM
While other shops let customers dry fire etc. I dont buy from those places.
Do you only buy from car dealerships that don't allow test drives too?:rolleyes:

Most gunowners want to know what kind of trigger the gun has, specially serious shooters. I usually pass on a gun when the trigger feels like the action is full of sand. I'd rather not wait till I get home to figure that out.:thumbsup:

JTROKS
03-15-2009, 8:46 AM
Do you only buy from car dealerships that don't allow test drives too?:rolleyes:

Most gunowners want to know what kind of trigger the gun has, specially serious shooters. I usually pass on a gun when the trigger feels like the action is full of sand. I'd rather not wait till I get home to figure that out.:thumbsup:

+1

Ever buy from a dealer that has all his guns with plastic tie lock? When asked if you can see the gun he will mumble, "Can't you see the gun sitting on the display case?" He treats the guns like fine delicate porcelein. I'm not a guy that drops the slide on an empty chamber or spin the cylinder and snap it close, but I will dry fire hopefully there's a snap cap available. I just want to check the lock-up on the guns I'm about to buy.

12voltguy
03-15-2009, 9:29 AM
I'd be more worried about screwy people dropping the slide on an empty chamber...it gives me shivers just thinking about such ridiculousness. In all honesty, even though there's probably nothing wrong with a display model I always ask for a brand new one in the back. I think it's mostly psychological, I want one that's unmolested and can be the first one to play with it.
please explain how that does any damage....then point me to a respected gun expert that will agree with you;)

B Strong
03-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I've purchased display models with and without discount - it depends on the piece and the dealer.

I have no problem buying used firearms, probably because so many of the firearms I'm interested are far out of production.