PDA

View Full Version : My political statement against the SF gun ban.

1911_sfca
10-28-2005, 2:59 PM
(This is in downtown San Francisco)

http://www.mobilenetworks.org/iig/banner.jpg

blacklisted
10-28-2005, 3:17 PM
I like it, but let's see how long until someone tears it down.

Bobshouse
10-28-2005, 4:24 PM
Nice! What size font was that?? :) Now if all gun owners did that...

MadMex
10-28-2005, 6:02 PM
U-DA-MAN!

Got Guns?

dwtt
10-28-2005, 6:26 PM
Nice! What size font was that?? :) Now if all gun owners did that...

If every gunowner in California got involved like this, we wouldn't have the assault weapon ban, the handgun "safety" approval list, the "buy a gun lock with your gun" law, or the 10-round magazine handicap. We would be like the other states in the country.

jnojr
10-28-2005, 6:29 PM
If every gunowner in California got involved like this, we wouldn't have the assault weapon ban, the handgun "safety" approval list, the "buy a gun lock with your gun" law, or the 10-round magazine handicap. We would be like the other states in the country.

If, if, if. Unfortunately, California gun owners don't care. As a matter of fact, I think they like having more stupid laws and bans... they can tear their hair, wear sackcloth, and exclaim "Oh, woe is me!" to everyone else.

Fortunately, I won't be affected for much longer.

Turbinator
10-29-2005, 1:18 AM
U-DA-MAN!
Got Guns?

I guess the sign kinda says "Hey everyone! I'm a gunowner! Rob me! Or hate me! I live HERE!"

Although I gotta hand it to ya, that's guts! :)

Turby

82a1
10-29-2005, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't be worried so much about thieves (like Ted said, they prob don't know what H is), but more so the tree huggin/PETA/Brady type nuts prevalent in that area. They're the kind that will either tear down your sign, or vandalize your home (watch Penn & Teller's DVDs and you'll know what I mean). Nice sign though! :)

Rascal
10-29-2005, 5:15 PM
1911-sfca,
Thank you for standing up for your rights.
If those Peta or other such organizations so much as touch your sign, sue the hell out of them, as the 1st amendmant garrantees your freedom of speech.

MadMex
10-29-2005, 6:50 PM
(watch Penn & Teller's DVDs and you'll know what I mean).
The P&T DVD had me laughing out loud! It really hit the mark.

QuarterBoreGunner
10-29-2005, 8:48 PM
Nice.

Very nice.

But I'm afraid that the populace won't notice WTF Prop H is until they're actually in the booth...

Where you at? Look a little like 3rd Street, but I can't tell for sure.

82a1
10-29-2005, 9:24 PM
The P&T DVD had me laughing out loud! It really hit the mark.

MadMex, glad you liked the P&T DVDs - it's one of my favorite shows. Not only is the show entertaining and hilarious, but you actually learn something from it. I have their beginning seasons on DVD; can't wait til their third is available. :)

Charliegone
10-30-2005, 12:53 AM
Yeah, like the recycling thing all being, well...Bulls***:D

1911_sfca
10-31-2005, 1:36 AM
Don't worry folks. No one has touched the sign and it's been almost a week.

Thugs around here have no qualms to break into an unattended car with a bag on the seat. But as for breaking into an inhabited dwelling... well, they are loathe to do that, for exactly the reason H shouldn't pass. They know that there's a fair chance they will get blown back to where they came from.

Anyway, thanks for all the words of encouragement. The "No on H" campaign posters have been going up around the city this weekend and are looking great.

Buford
10-31-2005, 2:03 AM
If, if, if. Unfortunately, California gun owners don't care. As a matter of fact, I think they like having more stupid laws and bans... they can tear their hair, wear sackcloth, and exclaim "Oh, woe is me!" to everyone else.

Fortunately, I won't be affected for much longer.

You sir are a putz and a ignorant fool.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Inoxmark
10-31-2005, 8:20 AM
Buford, jnojr is very active in gun rights arena and has been doing a lot to organize and direct political actions of CA gun owners. His statement undoubtedly comes from his personal frustration with the level of response his efforts have been producing. Your post was completely uncalled for.

jdberger
10-31-2005, 8:01 PM
Great sign. Thanks for having the balls and not shrinking from it just because

let's see how long until someone tears it down.California gun owners don't careI guess the sign kinda says "Hey everyone! I'm a gunowner! Rob me! Or hate me! I live HERE!"
tree huggin/PETA/Brady type nuts prevalent in that area. They're the kind that will either tear down your sign, or vandalize your home

Thanks for not listening to the pessimists.

How bout we take up a collection to finance a few more of these signs. I'll kick in $10. Who wants to hold the money?

blacklisted
10-31-2005, 8:21 PM

How bout we take up a collection to finance a few more of these signs. I'll kick in $10. Who wants to hold the money?

Hey, I'm not a pessimist, I was just stating facts (looks like you cut off the first part of my post). If I lived in SFO I would probably do the same thing. And if someone tore it down, I would put up a new one. The trouble is, you aren't convincing those who will vote yes. Some will change their mind if you talk to them and they are willing to accept facts. One can only hope that the signs will help make sure that ALL San Fransisco gun owners go out and vote, not just sit around and say "my vote doesn't count, almost everyone here is liberal and sure to vote yes"

82a1
10-31-2005, 8:44 PM

I wasn't at all being a "pessimist" when I made my comment - was just saying not to be surprised if something like that happened. Many great leaders have faced adversity when trying to bring about change, but that didn't stop them from achieving their goals. Contrary to what you might believe, I admire his courage and am happy 1911_sfca made that sign, as it might help change some minds in gun-hating SF.

jdberger
10-31-2005, 9:14 PM
OK..sorry for tagging the both of you wrong. Got $10?

The trouble is, you aren't convincing those who will vote yes. Some will change their mind if you talk to them and they are willing to accept facts. One can only hope that the signs will help make sure that ALL San Fransisco gun owners go out and vote, not just sit around and say "my vote doesn't count, almost everyone here is liberal and sure to vote yes"

This is basic political math:
20% of folks are going to be hard-core for something.
20% of folks are going to be hard core against it.

Your job isn't to convince the true believers, it is to convince the 60% in the middle. Any little bit helps.

So, instead of musing that the sign might be torn down or that PETA and tree hugger types might vandalize your home (just using you two as examples, no offense intended) perhaps it is better to offer to display a like sign or to finance another.

It has been a while since I've worked a campaign, but a yard sign is worth about $1k, a bumper sticker $10k...

1911sfca...what can I do to help?

82a1
10-31-2005, 10:01 PM
OK..sorry for tagging the both of you wrong. Got $10?

This is basic political math:
20% of folks are going to be hard-core for something.
20% of folks are going to be hard core against it.

Your job isn't to convince the true believers, it is to convince the 60% in the middle. Any little bit helps.

So, instead of musing that the sign might be torn down or that PETA and tree hugger types might vandalize your home (just using you two as examples, no offense intended) perhaps it is better to offer to display a like sign or to finance another.

It has been a while since I've worked a campaign, but a yard sign is worth about $1k, a bumper sticker $10k...

There are many ways to bring about change - there is no one right way to do it. For me, I will consider supporting groups on the frontline of this issue, such as the ones who created www.stopsanfranban.com or the NRA. I don't live in SF, so I think it would make more sense for me to support the people fighting for gun rights over there.
(BTW, the tree hugger and PETA references were said more as a joke than anything - although u never know in Frisco!):D

jdberger
10-31-2005, 10:38 PM
82a1, I don't live in SF either but I'm close enough to help.

I think the NRA has abandoned SF. I don't blame them.

Regarding the tree huggers and PETA folks, you are more right than you know.

Courage...and a stiff upper lip....

220RR
10-31-2005, 11:08 PM
you should put that banner in front of city hall or in front of mr daly's office

1911_sfca
11-04-2005, 4:35 PM

Thanks for the offer.. I just read it today. We put up a whole bunch of signs last weekend, and have been handing out flyers by the hundreds.

The best thing you could do this weekend would be to contact any friends you have in SF who are citizens, and remind them to vote no. If you're interested in hanging signs this weekend, send an e-mail to info@sfcap.org

And, I have to agree with you about pessimism -- it's true on most gun boards. It's a lot easier to poo-poo an idea on your keyboard then get up off your butt and fight for something you believe in. The stereotypes on THR and even on calguns, about San Francisco, are unbelievable. I certainly don't agree with a lot of the politics of this city, but some of the people trashtalking SF and the moronic things that are said sure do make gun owners look like the ignorant, hillbilly ignoramuses that the ultra left paint us as. (Note: I am not referring to anyone who posted in this thread, just a general comment)

Luckily, there are plenty of smart, motivated, and extremely politically-savvy gun owners in SF who are working on this. Hopefully it will be enough -- only time will tell.

1911_sfca
11-04-2005, 4:43 PM

By the way, it cost $250 and took a week to get this from out of state. It would have taken $450 and 2 days to have it done locally... So taking up a collection now wouldn't be too effective.

On the other hand, CAP has been doing a lot of great activity and are a PAC set up to take donations. A little birdie told me there might even be a print ad coming out from them soon.

jdberger
11-04-2005, 8:13 PM
By the way, it cost $250 and took a week to get this from out of state. It would have taken $450 and 2 days to have it done locally... So taking up a collection now wouldn't be too effective.

On the other hand, CAP has been doing a lot of great activity and are a PAC set up to take donations. A little birdie told me there might even be a print ad coming out from them soon.

Well, if you need help printing up flyers, I know a great copy vendor. Besides getting a great price, I'd be willing to help defray the cost.

I'll be talking to the SF residents I know.

Keep up the good work and thanks for fighting the good fight.

Josh

dadoody
11-06-2005, 7:56 PM
Why does everyone here hate preperation H? I love the stuff.

jdberger
11-06-2005, 9:50 PM
yes, works wonders under the eyes...:rolleyes: