PDA

View Full Version : Will steel cased ammo damage a handgun?

pvoc
03-13-2009, 9:21 PM
Dirty...yes, but damage internal parts? Specifically 9mm and 45ACP.
Thanks!

m1match
03-13-2009, 9:27 PM
I had 2 thousand rounds of Russian steel cased 9mm about 14 years ago and when I used them in practice sessions lasting a day and around 400 rounds of ammo, it would quickly foul up the chambers of my Browning HP and Glock 19s enough to cause malfunctions. Even worse, but the fouling must have gotten bad enough that the cases were hard to extract because I broke the extractor hook off of one of my Browning HPs. It's the only time I ever broke a Browning extractor, and I've never used steel cased Russian ammo since. The powder in that stuff was the dirtiest powder I've EVER seen.

c good
03-13-2009, 9:31 PM
Steel Cased ammo is hard on extractors. That being said you could probably shoot lots of it through your particular weapon without any problems. In the long run, things will wear quicker and most likely fail sooner than if you used good old brass cases. The little bit you may save by using steel cases will be offset by premature repairs. JMHO. c good

bohoki
03-13-2009, 10:01 PM
not likely

One Shot, One Dropped
03-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Though I only use brass-cased ammo, I do find it kind of funny that Glock uses steel-cased ammo to fire the test rounds they send out...

slick_711
03-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Steel Cased ammo is hard on extractors. That being said you could probably shoot lots of it through your particular weapon without any problems. In the long run, things will wear quicker and most likely fail sooner than if you used good old brass cases. The little bit you may save by using steel cases will be offset by premature repairs. JMHO. c good

+100

rtlltj
03-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Though I only use brass-cased ammo, I do find it kind of funny that Glock uses steel-cased ammo to fire the test rounds they send out...

Those CCI blazer's are aluminum casings.

JBird33
03-14-2009, 1:09 PM
Those CCI blazer's are aluminum casings.

+1. I've never heard of a Glock with steel cased test ammo. Mine had the aluminum CCI.

Kram12085
03-15-2009, 3:19 AM

I looked into this a few years ago and that was the general consensus. It may be a tad harder on the extractors, but for the most part, it's fine to shoot.

97F1504RAD
03-15-2009, 1:02 PM
Clean the firearm after a couple hundred rounds and things will be fine. A quick barrel swab and brush then a few pads till dry in between firing a couple hundred round doesn't take much time. Then when you get home do a complete cleaning.

Parabellus
03-15-2009, 2:17 PM
What is the white casing of certain cartridges such as Federal JHP?:confused:

mkmaine
03-15-2009, 4:00 PM
I personally do not use anything but brass in my colt model 1917 chambered in 45acp. First time i used it, i was new to center fire ammunition and i saw that blazer was like half the price of everything else. took one shot, and everything bent in the gun, I could not rotate the cylinder or open it up or anything. I finally got it fixed a few years later. Now, I don't use any thing but brass. to me, its not worth it, but depending on the gun it may be.

tonelar
03-15-2009, 4:38 PM
mkmaine
you used steel or aluminum cased ammo?
i thought the cci was aluminum...

maxicon
03-15-2009, 4:56 PM
What is the white casing of certain cartridges such as Federal JHP?:confused:

These are generally nickel plated brass. Even though it's usually on premium rounds, they can have issues with the nickel flaking off. I've seen this on older boxes of nickel ammo.

As for the faster wear of steel cases, I've never seen any actual data on this, like how many rounds someone's extractor lasted with brass compared to steel. If anyone knows of data, I'd love to see a link to it, otherwise, it's all just stories about what "everyone knows", or anecdotal stories about somebody having problems.

I haven't run the numbers on a handgun extractor, but last time I checked it on .223, comparing Wolf Military Classic to XM193, by the time you shot 5000 rounds, you had saved enough to buy a complete replacement upper, or a lifetime supply of extractors.

Aluminum's another different matter. I don't shoot it in my semi-autos, as they don't allow it at the range I go to, but I often shoot it in my .357 revolvers so I can toss the shells in the trash, and have never had problems with it. Other people may have other experiences, as always.

mblat
03-15-2009, 4:59 PM
It will..... eventually..... as well as any other ammo....

mkmaine
03-15-2009, 6:26 PM
mkmaine
you used steel or aluminum cased ammo?
i thought the cci was aluminum...

yes, the cci that i used was aluminum.

Parabellus
03-15-2009, 6:32 PM
Aluminum's another different matter. I don't shoot it in my semi-autos, as they don't allow it at the range I go to, but I often shoot it in my .357 revolvers so I can toss the shells in the trash, and have never had problems with it. Other people may have other experiences, as always.
TargetMasters in Milpitas? Isn't it because they sweep up the brass and resell it? They would have to pick out the odd cases?

ontargetrange
03-15-2009, 7:36 PM
Remember that most of the steel cased ammo from Wolf is coated with a Lacquer to help in the mfg process --- when shooting their ammo you need to clean the chamber and bore with a good solvent to remove the buildup -- it will also get into the extractor areas and cause them to be "crushed" when feeding a round into the chamber -- flexing them and ultimately causing them to break --- just clean the firearm more often --- we see it all the time and help shooters with their cleaning

Artery
03-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Remember that most of the steel cased ammo from Wolf is coated with a Lacquer to help in the mfg process...

I'm pretty sure the lacquer is there to prevent rust/aid in extraction, not for manufacturing.

rue
03-15-2009, 11:53 PM

Mine was brass

maxicon
03-16-2009, 11:44 AM
TargetMasters in Milpitas? Isn't it because they sweep up the brass and resell it? They would have to pick out the odd cases?

Reed's in Santa Clara. They also collect the brass and resell it - I think every range does this. Steel's easy to separate out, of course - a magnet will do it (but not aluminum) - but I think this simplifies things for them.