PDA

View Full Version : HI CAP MAGAZINE BAN

RangerRoy
03-13-2009, 8:42 PM
Being away for 12 years and being stationed in different states, I have to have a concrete answer of hi-cap mag laws in CA. When did CA enact it's own hi cap magazine ban?

69Mach1
03-13-2009, 8:43 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

Fate
03-13-2009, 8:50 PM
If you owned them in CA prior to Jan 1, 2000 you can bring them back, regardless of where you have been/lived since.

RangerRoy
03-13-2009, 9:00 PM
I was looking for a refernce for an Army buddy of mine who is about to ETS out of the Army now and coming back here to work. Just like me, he ended up acquiring hi-cap Beretta M9 and M4/M16a2 magazines while in active service especially those which never got returned or DX'd for new parts or just plain forgotten to get newer parts for.

As for me, I always bring a copy of my DD214 with me in my rifle cases to at least show proof of being in the service and exsplained how I ended up having army issue/contract magazines. I also made sure I kept the ones that were dated too.

edward
03-13-2009, 9:28 PM
I was looking for a refernce for an Army buddy of mine who is about to ETS out of the Army now and coming back here to work. Just like me, he ended up acquiring hi-cap Beretta M9 and M4/M16a2 magazines while in active service especially those which never got returned or DX'd for new parts or just plain forgotten to get newer parts for.

As for me, I always bring a copy of my DD214 with me in my rifle cases to at least show proof of being in the service and exsplained how I ended up having army issue/contract magazines. I also made sure I kept the ones that were dated too.

Read this FAQ about hi caps.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

Did you 'acquire' these magazines in CA before Jan 1. 2000?

Did you ever 'possess' these mags in CA before Jan 1. 2000?

I don't think there are exemptions for active duty mil coming into the state with Hi-caps like there were exemptions for assault weapons.

Taken from Librarians post:

(b)(19) exempts LE agencies
(b)(20) exempts LEOs
(b)(21) exempts CA-licensed FFLs
(b)(22) exempts loans so long as the lender stays nearby
(b)(27), (b)(28) and (b)(29) exempt "entities that operate armored vehicle businesses" who buy large-capacity magazines, lend them to their employees or receive them back

There is NO EXCEPTION for non-LEO visitors to the state.

ETA: You can always dissassemble your mags and bring them in and keep them as repair kits or 10 round conversionn kits if you are unsure about their legality.

audihenry
03-13-2009, 11:36 PM
So you can use them if you had them before 2000? Or you can merely possess them legally?

Seesm
03-14-2009, 12:04 AM
As long as you had em before 1-1-200 your GTG.

m98
03-14-2009, 12:54 AM
what if I had a few steel hicaps from back then (before 1-1-2k) that are now total crap/junk. Can I replace the crapp'd steel mags with complete Pmags, and totally destroy the old steel junk hicaps but keep them for evidence purposes? I'm just confused of this scenario. I understand the repair/replacement part scenario though.

Quiet
03-14-2009, 1:21 AM
You have to had own the large capacity magazines in CA before 01-01-2000.

When repairing old large capacity magazines, you can not end up with more large capacity magazines that you started with.

m98
03-14-2009, 1:46 AM
You have to had own the large capacity magazines in CA before 01-01-2000.

When repairing old large capacity magazines, you can not end up with more large capacity magazines that you started with.

the old mags being replaced are destroyed Beyond functioning i.e. pancked&chopped