PDA

View Full Version : SW1911PD

532Fastback
03-13-2009, 7:18 PM
Do i need to take the gun to a shop to adjust the sights? I shot mine for the first time tonight and it was pretty bad accuracy wise, its a BADASS gun though. I tried adjusting the rear sight and it only helped a little bit but i swear i didn't see it move even with the screw almost all the way out.

Juicymeat
03-13-2009, 8:12 PM
Can you be a little more descriptive? Is it grouping to the to like the left or right, or is it just not grouping at all? I would suggest that you get a buddy to shoot it first, then if say the gun was grouping left for you, and it grouped left for your friend, you'd know that you needed to adjust the sight and it was not operator error.

ETA: The S&W 1911PD has novak style sights, which I don't think are adjustable. That set screw is not an adjustment screw as much as a retention screw.

MonsterMan
03-13-2009, 8:31 PM
I love my SW1911PD. It was on target when I go it. I actually pounded out the sights and replaced them with night sights. It seems to be best when the sights are centered in there slots. But you can get a punch and give them a whack and move them a bit to sight it in better. I marred up my new sights a bit, but it was nothing a little black touch up couldn't fix. :-)

I second the having someone else shoot it to see how I performs for them.

gdr_11
03-13-2009, 8:37 PM
Another point...its one thing if you are shooting tight groups to the left; another if the groups are spread out.

Having someone else shoot it is solid advice, along with trying it from a couple of different rests.

532Fastback
03-13-2009, 10:23 PM
I was aiming at the right shoulder of my target and all my shots went into the X, the middle of my target.(my target was a siloutet of a person) The 3rd time i played with my sight i was able to get the 2 rounds i had left to get closer to the right shoulder. I looked at the sight after my 2nd 8 rounds fired and it looks like the sight is off center a bit.
i am going to go shoot it again tomorrow and my dad wants to go and look for a used .38 or .357 so i will have him shoot a couple of rounds and see how he does.