PDA

View Full Version : Found a Glock, just laying around :-O

sltgunner
03-13-2009, 4:45 PM
Howdy,

I'm doing this thread because I was shopping for a new handgun, and I had an interesting experience right before I was going to purchase. See this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2021296#post2021296 regarding my purchase choices.

I work in the vacation rental industry, and occasionally I encounter and get to keep "things left behind". Usually it's the half-empty/half-full bottle of tequila, maybe some groceries or very rarely, a tip!

This time, I'm doing my walkthrough of a property, and in one of the walk-in closets I notice a leather day-planner. I take the planner down, and it feels a wee bit heavy. I open it up and lo-and-behold, a Glock 19! Somebody left their CARRY PIECE at a VACATION RENTAL.

Unfortunately for them, I still live in the early 20th century, and am without a cellphone. The housephone is restricted to local only calling, so I can't call the owner of the house. I have no way to contact management to get a hold of this person. So, I offload the Glock (which has a hi-cap magazine), it looked to be 1st generation (no rail, no fingerbumps, etc). I separate the ammo from the hi-cap magazine and put it in a secure place while I do the rest of my cleanup/walkthrough.

In handling the Glock, I unfortunately find it to be a good fit for my hand, which put YET ANOTHER POTENTIAL FIREARM ON MY SHOPPING LIST, FURTHER COMPLICATING MY SHOPPING!

Being the industrious person, I have to go to my second job soon. So I let my partner know that I have this person's gun, and tell them to have the owner of the gun contact me there to pickup their Glock.

After arriving at my second job I get a phone call from my partner. She says a very worried man had arrived at the property about 5 minutes after I left. She gives me a description of him and his vehicle, and I have her route him to me.

The owner and I meet. I make a copy of his out of state DL & out of state CCW permit to cover my tush and hand the gun back to him, unloaded, ammunition separate in a plastic bag. I give him a short lecture about "just leaving YOUR gun around" and he wiffles off some lame excuse about "his wife was supposed to pack it"....

So, whadda y'all think?

sltgunner

ivanimal
03-13-2009, 4:48 PM
I think I am glad you found it and not someone else.:thumbsup:

Black Majik
03-13-2009, 4:49 PM
Get a Glock. It's a great weapon. Springfield only gives you a holster and mag carriers with their XD9. Glock gives you a lifetime supply of Kool-aid!

pacifico
03-13-2009, 4:50 PM
I like my Glock, but am too sentimental about my Colts to buy another one.

How did it fit your hand? That's kind of a dealbreaker for some, but I have fairly long fingers and like it just fine.

Oh, and good job.

The SoCal Gunner
03-13-2009, 4:50 PM
Good deal checking his DL and CCW permit.

sltgunner
03-13-2009, 4:53 PM
Get a Glock. It's a great weapon. Springfield only gives you a holster and mag carriers with their XD9. Glock gives you a lifetime supply of Kool-aid!

:laugh:

I ALMOST gave him the speech off the Glock T-shirt: This is my Glock, there are many like it, etc

sltgunner

sltgunner
03-13-2009, 4:58 PM
I like my Glock, but am too sentimental about my Colts to buy another one.

How did it fit your hand? That's kind of a dealbreaker for some, but I have fairly long fingers and like it just fine.

Oh, and good job.

It fit pretty well and seemed to point and balance well. I have sorta chunky hand with smallish fingers. It's a wonder that I can play bass.

My wife also handled it, and it fit her hand pretty well. I have to say that she has "dainty" hands :p

sltgunner

tpuig
03-13-2009, 5:07 PM
I think if <I> were stupid enough to leave a nice piece behind in a rental and it was well cared for, I would be sure to give the person responsible a nice $100 bill to show my gratitude....

psssniper
03-13-2009, 5:14 PM
He should have generously shown his appreciation for a couple reasons.

1) he got his gun back

2) with relatively no hassle

3) there were no LEO's involved in retrieving the gun

4) he didn't have to file a police report for a lost gun

Blue
03-13-2009, 5:16 PM
You should have given him a bag of empties back and see what he said :D

1lostinspace
03-13-2009, 5:19 PM
Glock 19 are sweet! I also love the 26 with the mag extention

sltgunner
03-13-2009, 5:30 PM
I think if <I> were stupid enough to leave a nice piece behind in a rental and it was well cared for, I would be sure to give the person responsible a nice $100 bill to show my gratitude....

And he didn't....oh well.

BUT I think that most of us "gun people" are very courteous, and I definitely was not expecting a tip. I just want the guy to be more responsible with his carry piece...

sltgunner

stormy_clothing
03-13-2009, 5:40 PM
I think if you are looking for a gun for shared use you take a look at the g21sf model

I have one and even my mom loves shooting it, more than the g23 I gave her

its good karma, just recently I found a bunch of cds someone was offering a 400 dollar reward for, gave them back and took no money

tonelar
03-13-2009, 6:24 PM
good story/ you did the right thing

Does CA recognize out of state CCWs?

chickenfried
03-13-2009, 6:27 PM
shoulda put some fake blood on the gun.

cheeto
03-13-2009, 7:29 PM
its good karma, just recently I found a bunch of cds someone was offering a 400 dollar reward for, gave them back and took no money

eather u have good money.......or u must be a super duper retard
times are hard right now with the economy and if a dude has 400 to spare for some c.d's he sure the hell deserves to pay up
i woulda took the cash

sltgunner
03-13-2009, 8:02 PM
good story/ you did the right thing

Does CA recognize out of state CCWs?

Unfortunately, no:

http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html

Other states recognize CA CCW permits, but CA recognizes ZERO other states :mad:

The gentleman who I returned the Glock to was given strong words regarding carrying in our state (i.e. he could get into serious legal hassles).

sltgunner

Sam
03-13-2009, 9:24 PM
Unfortunately, no:

http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html

Other states recognize CA CCW permits, but CA recognizes ZERO other states :mad:

The gentleman who I returned the Glock to was given strong words regarding carrying in our state (i.e. he could get into serious legal hassles).

sltgunner

surprising isn't it?

Glock=nice piece?

oh that's rich tpuig...rich!

:rofl2:

rtlltj
03-13-2009, 9:31 PM
Generation 1's are sweet.

avalon42
03-13-2009, 10:29 PM
What? NO reward?

Lame...but hats off to you.

Seed
03-13-2009, 11:06 PM
It fit pretty well and seemed to point and balance well. I have sorta chunky hand with smallish fingers. It's a wonder that I can play bass.

My wife also handled it, and it fit her hand pretty well. I have to say that she has "dainty" hands :p

sltgunner

So if it fit you well and it fit your wife well and your wife has "dainty" hands are you saying you have "dainty" hands? It's cool. Just sayin. :)

jasilva
03-13-2009, 11:31 PM
So if it fit you well and it fit your wife well and your wife has "dainty" hands are you saying you have "dainty" hands? It's cool. Just sayin. :)

No, he's saying all you other Glock owners have <cough>"dainty" hands.:43:

PorkLover
03-14-2009, 6:58 AM
what a tool for not giving you a tip! but kudos to you for doing the right thing.......

CSACANNONEER
03-14-2009, 7:04 AM
He brought normal mags into Ca while he was on vacation? I hope he had brought those same mags here before 1-1-2000! If not, he just committed a felony! I hope he gave you a good tip!

Turbinator
03-14-2009, 8:16 AM
Good job for doing what you did to return the man's gun. But hey, perfect example of how to find and keep hicap mags! Wow!

Get a G19. You'll love it.

Turby

foxtrotuniformlima
03-14-2009, 9:14 AM
Sltgunner,

you should be commended for doing the right thing and not expecting to be rewarded with cash for doing so.

Same to you stormy_clothing.

The world needs more people like you.

SCMA-1
03-14-2009, 9:55 AM
Actually, that G19 is a Gen 2 Glock. There were 3 generations of Glock frames:

Gen 1: pebbled grips (Glock 17 was the only Gen 1 Glock)
Gen 2: molded checkering, straight grips (that's the G19 you found)
Gen 3: current generation with finger grooves and accessory rail

SCMA-1

JTROKS
03-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Nice work. I think all law abiding gunowners should give law abiding gun owners a break. Unfortunately the hi-cap mag being brought in to CA was a no-no, nevertheless IMHO that was the appropriate thing to do.

leitung
03-14-2009, 10:21 AM
He brought normal mags into Ca while he was on vacation? I hope he had brought those same mags here before 1-1-2000! If not, he just committed a felony! I hope he gave you a good tip!

I was thinking the same thing.. But he probably doesn't know the law, and because it's largely unenforced people get away with it..

CABilly
03-14-2009, 10:13 PM
"You know, you broke the law in bringing this magazine into California. Be that as it may, you've already done it. You can avoid any further trouble and give it to me. That would be perfectly legal and you can just replace it when you get home. Much better than reporting your gun lost and replacing the whole thing, right?"

I'd have been REAL tempted to say something like that...

checkenbach
03-15-2009, 1:50 PM
I'm a Toyota technician and found a Glock 17 in the glovebox of a Prius(of all things!!!!). As part of the major service, we replace the cabin filter located behind the glovebox. Pretty funny, the mag was in place, muzzle pointed away from the driver. Come to find out the owner was an Asian MILF that just dropped her kids off at school a bit earlier. Scarey!!!! Be careful who you EFF with.

Turbinator
03-15-2009, 4:59 PM
I'm a Toyota technician and found a Glock 17 in the glovebox of a Prius(of all things!!!!). As part of the major service, we replace the cabin filter located behind the glovebox. Pretty funny, the mag was in place, muzzle pointed away from the driver. Come to find out the owner was an Asian MILF that just dropped her kids off at school a bit earlier. Scarey!!!! Be careful who you EFF with.

Here in CA? Wow. Just wow.

Turby

ironcross
03-15-2009, 5:05 PM
I think I am glad you found it and not someone else.:thumbsup:

I agree, Im glad there are still people that did what you did. :thumbsup:

B Strong
03-16-2009, 4:00 PM

That would be the classy thing to do.

5hundo
03-16-2009, 4:11 PM
It happens...

I saw a guy walk off the line in Chabot and leave his Broomhandle Mauser sitting on the bench...

JeffM
03-16-2009, 4:26 PM
You know you committed a felony by giving the large capacity magazine back to him right? CPC 12020(a)(2)

Unless of course you broke it down into parts.

I would have kept it for my troubles.

"Sorry sir, but due to the laws of the state of California, I would be committing a felony by giving back this magazine. If you're not sure of the legalities involved I could turn both the gun and magazine in to my local law enforcement agency and you can go through the official process to have it returned to you."

RogueSniper
03-16-2009, 5:06 PM
And he didn't....oh well.

BUT I think that most of us "gun people" are very courteous, and I definitely was not expecting a tip. I just want the guy to be more responsible with his carry piece...

sltgunner

That Out-Of-Towner was a tool for not showing you proper gratitude. If you found my gun and returned it to me, expect AT LEAST a C-Note. :thumbsup: But, you did us Calgunners proud! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Woah! Kids in the car, a loaded gun, and a MILF?! ;) Plus, you actually change the filter? I don't even think my Dealership does that. :D

I used to work in Sacramento at Sierra Outfitters. It turned out a Sheriff's Deputy came in, tried some clothes on and left. We'll he didn't just leave, he left behind his fanny pack with his BADGE, HIS GUN, 2 SPARE MAGS, and ID. :Ivan:

For sure we played with his gun, took it apart, put it back together just for laughs. We tried to get hold of him but he was on vacation in the mountains. We contacted his Supervisor and waited for this Deputy to return for his items.

Unlike the OP's guest, our place is open to the public, and what if a kid found it? The Deputy didn't give us a reward for finding his gun, but I know he got reamed by the Supervisor. Exactly what he deserved.

What's the "finders keepers" laws in Cali? I know if I find it in the ocean, I can claim salvage rights!

sltgunner
03-16-2009, 5:15 PM
You know you committed a felony by giving the large capacity magazine back to him right? CPC 12020(a)(2)

Unless of course you broke it down into parts.

I would have kept it for my troubles.

"Sorry sir, but due to the laws of the state of California, I would be committing a felony by giving back this magazine. If you're not sure of the legalities involved I could turn both the gun and magazine in to my local law enforcement agency and you can go through the official process to have it returned to you."

Actually I did break down the magazine. I was really worried even if I got traffic stopped with: 1) A gun not registered to me, owner unknown 2) a hi-cap magazine I'd be going to jail. In addition, I had no idea what the gun had been used for, so I used my cleaning gloves to disassemble it, and gave *everything* a good wipe-down.

When I handed the package back to him he got: 1 bag of 124gr Winchester Silvertips, his day-planner with his Glock inside, and another bag with his magazine...

Hey man, I *really* am paranoid ;)

sltgunner

RogueSniper
03-16-2009, 6:24 PM
:rofl:
I would have liked to see his expression when he saw everything was disassembled and in little baggies. Actually I find that pretty funny.

I would have been :eek: WTH! Then laugh my butt off!

tpuig
03-16-2009, 7:34 PM
Too bad he didn't cough up a reward. Sounds like a real class act.
It would have been nice to see the look on his face when he opened the letter arriving at his house two weeks later that contained his firing pin...