View Full Version : Safe for easy access.

03-13-2009, 2:32 PM
Just order my SIG 226 a week or so back. I get to pick it up next week. All great so far and I'm very excited. however, I have a 3 years old and a 6 months old who, while they are not able to get eveyrwhere right now, will soon be able to and I'm not having a handgun around the place with them roaming free. At the same time there's no point in having it if it's not easily accessible in case of emergency (break in or whatever). Does anyone have any experience with the handgun safe's which are either fingerprint controlled or otherwsie virtually instant to open I can bolt to a shelf in the closet? Are the biometric ones fool proof / child proof and or reliable? Any recommednations?

03-13-2009, 3:08 PM
First, nothing is absolutely childproof. You do everything you can to minimize the possibility of an accident, then do a bit more. Educate as soon as possible. Until then, make it as unattractive and boring as you can.

That said, the safes with the four keys on top are very fast to open. Great for the type of use you have in mind. Not an absolute but well built and reliable. More complex keypads may improve your security but at the expense of time.

03-13-2009, 3:20 PM
That's the bedside safe I use and I like it for fast access. However with only 4 keys there are only 24 possible combos. One aspect of security is due diligence. Don't put a easily hacked safe in the open. Hide it. A 10 key wall safe behind a painting where someone would look is fine because there are 3.6 million combos. You are legally liable if a child causes harm with a weapon you fail to secure.

03-13-2009, 3:51 PM
I have a Gunvault for the one handgun I want fast access to, the rest in the big safe. I also have big dogs that give me a time cushion. The AA battery pack, Duracell Ultra gives me 2 years of open/close. I do not keep a round chambered and I doubt a child could rack the slide as an additional safeguard. The safe is bolted down as I have heard that dropping it could cause it to open.

03-13-2009, 6:17 PM
Try This