PDA

View Full Version : Easiest 9mm Slide to Rack

PatriotnMore
03-13-2009, 7:40 AM
I've finally got the wife interested in shooting. Were going to go out soon and see what fits her hand.

The issue that may be the biggest hurtle on a semi auto 9mm, is going to be racking it. She really struggles with my 5" XD.

If I remember, I think the Beretta had the smoothest slide to rack, any thoughts on which model has the easiest slide to rack?

Women, are most welcome to chime in.

proraptor
03-13-2009, 7:40 AM
My fiancee has no problem racking my baby eagle in 9mm

Oldnoob
03-13-2009, 8:03 AM
The racking slide could be troublesome for some smaller build people. My girlfriend have trouble with my G22, G23, Sig 226 so those might not be a good choice for your wife. HK USP once the hammer is pull the slide is quite light, and if I remember CZ 75's slide also light enough for her.

My final solution for my girlfriend was a revolver. s&w's hammer pull are easiest for my girlfriend, Ruger GP and SP were a bit hard.

aca72
03-13-2009, 8:18 AM
In my limited experience, the Beretta 92FS is the slickest.

cheese
03-13-2009, 8:22 AM
The only Berettas i have messed with were extremely tight. They were brand new but i had a hard time racking them. They were 96 if it makes a difference.

Mr. Beretta
03-13-2009, 8:22 AM
In my limited experience, the Beretta 92FS is the slickest.

+1

Even a new 92FS after a hundred rds. racks like butter! Just keep them lubed :thumbsup:

PatriotnMore
03-13-2009, 8:40 AM
The only Berettas i have messed with were extremely tight. They were brand new but i had a hard time racking them. They were 96 if it makes a difference.

I think it does, the 96 is a .40 correct? and probably has a stiffer spring.

I am only considering .380, or 9mm as a viable round, with manageable recoil. I know we can go revolver, but then that's more recoil, I am really hoping for a semi to work for her.

230grjhp
03-13-2009, 8:51 AM
Beretta 92F or Taurus PT-92.

Black Majik
03-13-2009, 9:04 AM
My vote also goes to the HK USP. The USPs feel easier to rack than the Beretta 92FS from what I remember.

You could always get her a 1911 w/ a GI rod and plug and have her rack the gun on the edge of a table or something. :D

ETA: Which reminds me. a fullsize 1911 9mm runs a 12 lb. recoil spring, pretty daaaaaamn light w/ factory loads.

nic
03-13-2009, 9:09 AM
When you teach her to rack the slide, do you show her to push with her strong/supporting hand and pull with her weak hand? The two-directional thing helps a LOT. My girlfriend has no problems racking any semi-auto pistol using this method, and she's a pretty petite girl.

mastadonn
03-13-2009, 9:15 AM
Springfield 1911A1 with 9 lb recoil spring.

mk19
03-13-2009, 9:18 AM
the easiest slide that i have seen for women to rack has been the FNP9. I've seen women having problem with all kinds of other pistols but never with a FNP9 or browning Pro9.

erskatedoc
03-13-2009, 9:22 AM
My wife loves the Smith and Wesson M&P subcompact 9mm. Easy for her to rack and shoot. We go to the range often (4x/month). She also loves her Ruger GP 100 .357 Magnum (six shooter). If you get the M&P, make sure and get the mags with the extensions. Perfect fit for a lady's hand.

She does not like to rack my Beretta 92FS, but likes to shoot it.

SCMA-1
03-13-2009, 9:38 AM
One more vote for Beretta 9x/Taurus 9x. CZ/TZ's are probably the worst since there's not much slide to grab as a result of the reversed frame rails. Glocks are not too bad; it's mostly technique. Try working with them to improve this.

SCMA-1

JTROKS
03-13-2009, 9:40 AM
I owned a Beretta 92 that was very slick. Try what Nic said, the push and pull technique while racking. Also another way to lighten the racking chore is to cock the hammer and load one or two less rounds in the mag.

PatriotnMore
03-13-2009, 9:42 AM
I owned a Beretta 92 that was very slick. Try what Nic said, the push and pull technique while racking. Also another way to lighten the racking chore is to cock the hammer and load one or two less rounds in the mag.

Tried it, and rear pull, both were very difficult for her, on my XD.

SCMA-1
03-13-2009, 9:45 AM
Tried it, and rear pull, both were very difficult for her, on my XD.

Maybe you need to get her one of these, yeah?;)

http://www.ptdirectonline.com/ProductDetail.asp?style=31985&fprd=Fixed+Resistance+Grip+Exerciser&oid1=&oid2=

Jicko
03-13-2009, 9:48 AM
hmmmm techique....

1) try this with some gloves on first, plus snap caps

2) hold the rear of the slide with her reaction hand (weak) at chest height, thumb pointing at her chest

3) push out/punch out with her action hand (strong)

4) the slide should be able to rack, and the gun would slide off her weak hand and went forward

PatriotnMore
03-13-2009, 9:54 AM
Maybe you need to get her one of these, yeah?;)

http://www.ptdirectonline.com/ProductDetail.asp?style=31985&fprd=Fixed+Resistance+Grip+Exerciser&oid1=&oid2=

The problem is not hands, she has had double breast mastectomy, and has reduced upper body strength, she is also recoil sensitive. I am trying to find a happy ending here, but thanks.:)

nick
03-13-2009, 9:55 AM
I've finally got the wife interested in shooting. Were going to go out soon and see what fits her hand.

The issue that may be the biggest hurtle on a semi auto 9mm, is going to be racking it. She really struggles with my 5" XD.

If I remember, I think the Beretta had the smoothest slide to rack, any thoughts on which model has the easiest slide to rack?

Women, are most welcome to chime in.

You might want to look into how she does it. My girlfriend thought the slide of the G35 she used was too tight, until we looked into how she racks it, and it turned out to be quite inefficient. We then worked out several techniques which would allow her to work it easier, and for some reason, after a couple of weeks of using those techniques she could rack the slide her old way just fine, as well.

PatriotnMore
03-13-2009, 9:55 AM
hmmmm techique....

1) try this with some gloves on first, plus snap caps

2) hold the rear of the slide with her reaction hand (weak) at chest height, thumb pointing at her chest

3) push out/punch out with her action hand (strong)

4) the slide should be able to rack, and the gun would slide off her weak hand and went forward

I do have gloves for her, will give that a go. Still there are some other good weapon choices being suggested, we are going to try as many as we can, thanks .

JTROKS
03-13-2009, 10:06 AM
How about a revolver?

Hispeed1
03-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Not trying to be a stick in da mud, but I believe that training/helping her with it shooting will be more important than racking the slide of the pistol...

Jicko
03-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Not trying to be a stick in da mud, but I believe that training/helping her with it shooting will be more important than racking the slide of the pistol...

hmmmm not able to rack the slide = no shooting.... :confused:

PatriotnMore
03-13-2009, 10:11 AM

Well, she has to pass the safe handling, so even if she could put every round through the same hole, not being able to rack the slide, would fail the test, and negate a purchase in her name, which is the point.

SCMA-1
03-13-2009, 10:13 AM
The problem is not hands, she has had double breast mastectomy, and has reduced upper body strength, she is also recoil sensitive. I am trying to find a happy ending here, but thanks.:)

ahh.........sorry while I pull my foot out of my mouth.:o I understand now. I've replaced glock springs in the past with lighter recoil springs which had the effect of lower force required to rack the slide; probably a good idea to use a recoil buffer if this is done to cushion the frame.

SCMA-1

PatriotnMore
03-13-2009, 10:17 AM
ahh.........sorry while I pull my foot out of my mouth.:o I understand now. I've replaced glock springs in the past with lighter recoil springs which had the effect of lower force required to rack the slide; probably a good idea to use a recoil buffer if this is done to cushion the frame.

SCMA-1

How could you know? No need to apologize.:thumbsup:

SCMA-1
03-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Another idea would be to take her to a well stocked shooting range with lots of rentals and let her try to rack different ones in the case.

I would recommend Insight Shooting Range in Artesia (605 & 91 fwys); they have a huge assortment of rental guns (at least a few years ago when my buddy was the owner) and I don't think they'd really mind if you explained what you were doing. The new management seems to be pretty laid back also!

http://www.insightrangeinc.com/

SCMA-1

wolf13
03-13-2009, 10:36 AM
My girl friend is small, and can rack the p239 easily. Also fits her hand beautifully.

H2H
03-13-2009, 10:39 AM
glock are pretty easy.

cal3gunner
03-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Glock 17, 34, or 17L with a reduced power recoil spring is pretty easy. I've never had any problems with the girls that shoot my guns.

bohoki
03-13-2009, 2:37 PM
i vote for a used p-89 they are often pretty loose the hammer drag is insignificant and there is a lot to grab

Rivers
03-13-2009, 2:47 PM
While the price is definitely higher than the others mentioned so far, what about the HK P7M8 squeeze-cocker? Very soft-shooting, good slim grip size for smaller hands and concealment, extremely accurate. I know my HKs (USP and P2000sk) are very easy to rack. I would expect the P7M8 to be even nicer in that respect.

domokun
03-13-2009, 2:49 PM
While the price is definitely higher than the others mentioned so far, what about the HK P7M8 squeeze-cocker? Very soft-shooting, good slim grip size for smaller hands and concealment, extremely accurate. I know my HKs (USP and P2000sk) are very easy to rack. I would expect the P7M8 to be even nicer in that respect.

The P7M8s still have a pretty firm slide rack. The only advantage of having the squeeze-cocking setup is that you don't have to pull back on the slide or push the slide-lock down to chamber a round after a fresh reload.

Blue
03-13-2009, 3:45 PM
My Beretta 96 is a dream.

Sobriquet
03-13-2009, 4:00 PM
The P7M8s still have a pretty firm slide rack. The only advantage of having the squeeze-cocking setup is that you don't have to pull back on the slide or push the slide-lock down to chamber a round after a fresh reload.

+1. My P7M8 is far more difficult to rack than a USP series pistol.

To the op: Please have your wife read this regarding women racking a slide:

http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

D53
03-13-2009, 4:12 PM
After my first surgey before my second i was not able to rack my XD40 (5" slide) or my glock 22. But i was able to rack a Glock 19 and Glock 26 fairly easy with my bum hand, just my 2c

sammy
03-13-2009, 5:13 PM
The easiest slide to rack I have found was a Browning High Power. It is possible the example I tried had a weak spring but it was way easier than my Ruger MKII.

toneman
03-13-2009, 5:47 PM
Beretta 92 is very smooth, But because of the size, the grip might too thick for her,
Maybe little smaller caliber like .380 or 9 makarov ?

CrippledPidgeon
03-13-2009, 8:17 PM
+1. My P7M8 is far more difficult to rack than a USP series pistol.

To the op: Please have your wife read this regarding women racking a slide:

http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

+2 on the P7M8.

The USP uses a double spring, with max at 12 lb. The reason why it's so easy to rack its slide is because the large, weaker spring is fairly light, and by the time you engage the heavier spring, you've got momentum in your favor.

The P7M8 uses a 21 lb spring, so despite not having to overcome the hammer mainspring (eg. racking a decocked 1911 is fairly hard compared to when it's cocked), it's still quite heavy.

And in my experience, guns that shoot .380 don't necessarily have weaker springs than 9mms because they tend to be blowback (rather than short recoil) and need decently strong springs to prevent case ruptures.

The best thing for racking the slide is to do it in as sharp and quick a movement as possible. Usually when I see people having trouble with racking slides (both male and female), they're babying the gun and fighting the spring tension every step of the way. Racking quickly and smoothly allows you to use the momentum of the frame to help overcome the spring more easily. Having strong hands to get a good grip on the slide serrations helps a lot more than strong arms (I also highly recommend that she read Cornered Cat's recommendations (http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx) as was written above, because she has some really good suggestions.

And when it comes to safety demonstrations, it helps to have a friendly and understanding ffl. When I bought my P7M8, neither the FFL nor I could figure out how to lock the slide back during the demonstration, so we ended up stopping to read the manual.

12voltguy
03-13-2009, 8:30 PM
Beretta 92FS

RangerRoy
03-13-2009, 8:50 PM
A sensible suggestion is, providing you find an accomodating gun shop or range with a good assortment of handguns is to let her physically try with dummy rounds of course. Fit and ergonomics will not be determined of course by advise and opinions no matter how well intended or means or no matter how high the level of expertise of the advisors are. Only her alone will be able to detrrmine that. Not only is the lb. strength of the spring important but also the shape, serration location and angle that a slide is handled that will determine her proficiency with the firearm. Hope this helps, I have taken a lot of women and even young girls shooting and had to learn to teach them how to adapt to what's available to us as much as they can.

cush
03-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Another suggestion : Bersa UltraCompact Thunder 9mm, well lubed with Slideglide.
My DW loves her's. It's easy to rack, has soft recoil and ambidextrous controls.
First time she tried and could lock the slide back left handed got a big smile.

Another place to ask this question is: http://www.womenshooters.com/

Since ranges have a limited selection for rent maybe Calgun members can help out.
I know I would be willing to meet at a range to let her try what I have.
You might PM those who's suggestions you find appealing.
-cush

eccvets
03-14-2009, 12:02 AM
get a custom 1911, I have seen people use 2 fingers to rack those smooth as butter customs! they will run you about 3-5k though...

BigRich
03-14-2009, 1:05 AM
Have her try a Ruger P95 series pistol. They are not elegant but they work. When I had my shop that was always one that was easy to rack. Women that could not cycle other slides could do that one easily.

slvrbulit12
03-14-2009, 10:35 AM
If in your shoes I would take her to a shop or gun show that has a large selection of handguns and let her check them out, both revolvers and autos. I for one would not want someone else to decide what would work best for me. She will like shooting more if she finds a handgun that fits her hand and is easy for her to use. You may find she likes something you never thought of.

PatriotnMore
03-14-2009, 11:50 AM
I do have gloves for her, will give that a go. Still there are some other good weapon choices being suggested, we are going to try as many as we can, thanks .

If in your shoes I would take her to a shop or gun show that has a large selection of handguns and let her check them out, both revolvers and autos. I for one would not want someone else to decide what would work best for me. She will like shooting more if she finds a handgun that fits her hand and is easy for her to use. You may find she likes something you never thought of.

That's been the plan from the beginning. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=162485&page=3

gunslinger387
03-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I didn't see it mentioned but another part of technique is to hold the gun close to the chest. We are stronger in close than with our hands out. For some women it makes all the difference. Hope you find something you both like.

tonelar
03-14-2009, 1:51 PM
9mmK / .380 ACP
Blowbacks are usually easier

Kingofthehill
03-14-2009, 2:10 PM
Ruger P-95 9mm... g/f absolutely loves it!

tonelar
03-14-2009, 2:19 PM
aren't the only blowback 9x19 the P7 or Hi-point?

Greg-Dawg
03-14-2009, 2:43 PM
How about a revolver?

The question of the century!!!

If she's still set on a semi-auto, after a range session unloading a mag, the slide will automatically lock back. So when loading a new mag, all she needs to do is push down on the slide stop lever.

Or most likely, both of you will be shooting together...why not rack the slide for her?

PatriotnMore
03-14-2009, 3:17 PM
Well, she has to pass the safe handling, so even if she could put every round through the same hole, not being able to rack the slide, would fail the test, and negate a purchase in her name, which is the point.

The question of the century!!!

If she's still set on a semi-auto, after a range session unloading a mag, the slide will automatically lock back. So when loading a new mag, all she needs to do is push down on the slide stop lever.

Or most likely, both of you will be shooting together...why not rack the slide for her?

I really appreciate the feedback, but that was already discussed. My wife needs to own, and operate a handgun she is comfortable with, without any assistance from me.
Nothing is set in stone, we will be firing revolvers and semi auto's. It is my belief that she will like the semi, more than the revolver (I could be wrong), so I wanted to get some other opinions on which slides were easiest to rack.

POINTMANDDT
03-14-2009, 3:43 PM
Ruger P-95 9mm... g/f absolutely loves it!

Holy S*** my girlfriend loves my p 95 too. Go figure; and the slide is so easy to rack.

tonelar
03-14-2009, 6:24 PM
I know alot more female wheel gun owners than female auto owners. It's at 8 to 2 currently.

Bobotheclown
03-14-2009, 6:51 PM
My girlfriend is fine with racking back the slide on my Glock 19. Plus, with a extended slide release, she can release it with a simple slide of her thumb.

BigRich
03-14-2009, 8:05 PM
Blowbacks in 380 and up tend to be very heavily sprung as that is mostly what keeps the slide closed at firing (in addition to slide mass which usually isn't great).

Kingofthehill
03-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Holy S*** my girlfriend loves my p 95 too. Go figure; and the slide is so easy to rack.
I know huh.... That thing also has almost NO kick to it... its like a rough .22.... she absolutely loves shooting it.

JOe

Parabellus
03-14-2009, 10:54 PM
My wife now has a bedside pistol she can rack and load the magazine without a loader.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/Parabellus/P5_Valentine.jpg
Walther P5

Russell

JJ1911
03-14-2009, 11:46 PM
After my first surgey before my second i was not able to rack my XD40 (5" slide) or my glock 22. But i was able to rack a Glock 19 and Glock 26 fairly easy with my bum hand, just my 2c

Your XD found a good home! Hope your hand is gettin better man.

Bongos
03-15-2009, 7:39 AM
Beretta 92 FS hands down!

beast556
03-15-2009, 7:44 AM
+1 for the Beretta, My wife loves her 92fs Inox.

roc
03-20-2009, 3:31 PM
my brother has a beretta 92 that has seen a few thousand rounds thru it. It definitely loosens up. the 96 probably comes with a tighter spring since it shoots a higher pressure cartridge.

marklbucla
04-14-2009, 7:26 PM
So is the general consensus as follows:

HK USP < Beretta 92 < Everything else

I assume that you meant USP9F? How would the USP9C compare?

AMC
04-14-2009, 7:41 PM
my wife has trouble with my p226 but my (now hers) G19 is much easier for her.

calixt0
04-14-2009, 8:14 PM
I just had my wife try to rack my eaa witness. She is not a shooter and I gave her no instruction.. she picked it up and racked it without an issue.. my 9mm is a EAA witness (I believe a duplicate to a cz75) granted my gun has a lot of rounds through it. has this weaken the spring or is it just and easy gun I don't know... but it was easy for her to do.

Exiledviking
04-14-2009, 8:38 PM
My wife prefers the Beretta 92.

gobabygo
04-15-2009, 9:11 AM
I'd suggest something with an external hammer. Assuming she can cock the hammer with her thumb, that will remove the resistance from the hammer/main spring. Then you're only dealing with the resistance from the recoil spring which you can easily switch out for lower weights. Test them to make sure they work with the ammo that you'll be using though. The lighter the spring, the lighter the ammo you should be using. WWB, UMC, etc are all pretty light factory loads.

There will still be some resistant depending on the gun from the weight of the slide, unlocking the barrel and maybe just smoothness of the slide to frame fit/break-in. Also the size/surface area of where to grip on the slide can be an issue. My p7m8 might be my most difficult gun to rack because the slide is so small I can barely get my fat fingers on there. On the other hand, I run a 6-7lb recoil spring on my 9mm open gun with super light steel challenge loads. It's pretty easy to rack :thumbsup:.

12voltguy
04-15-2009, 9:35 AM
I'd suggest something with an external hammer. Assuming she can cock the hammer with her thumb, that will remove the resistance from the hammer/main spring. Then you're only dealing with the resistance from the recoil spring which you can easily switch out for lower weights. Test them to make sure they work with the ammo that you'll be using though. The lighter the spring, the lighter the ammo you should be using. WWB, UMC, etc are all pretty light factory loads.

There will still be some resistant depending on the gun from the weight of the slide, unlocking the barrel and maybe just smoothness of the slide to frame fit/break-in. Also the size/surface area of where to grip on the slide can be an issue. My p7m8 might be my most difficult gun to rack because the slide is so small I can barely get my fat fingers on there. On the other hand, I run a 6-7lb recoil spring on my 9mm open gun with super light steel challenge loads. It's pretty easy to rack :thumbsup:.

why?
a 92 is sa/da
rack it once, use decocker saftey, now all that is needed is switch saftey to fire & pull trigger, no cocking hammer, racking slide....this seems to be the reason they made sa/da's.........;)

Greg-Dawg
04-15-2009, 9:47 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1365/1178082841_5c41cc7a9f.jpg

socomIInato
04-15-2009, 9:50 AM
beretta at one time made a tip up barrel 380 auto. model #86. this would solve problem of racking slide. hope this helps.

RogueSniper
04-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Colt 1911 Series 80 in 9mm. Personally I like the 1911 in .45 with a lighter spring, shooting 185g Hornady JHP XTP. During my tactical class, it feed, fired, and eject everytime. The recoil is very light, in fact, I think it's lighter than my SIG 226 in 9mm. This is partially due to the weight of the pistol's ability to absorb recoil.

Racking the slide, with the hammer cock, seems like the best solution. Time for a trip to the range and checking out the rental guns.

marklbucla
04-15-2009, 1:02 PM
As I understand it, people say the Beretta 92 is easy, probably because of its long and light recoil spring weight of 13 lbs.

I just tried swapping in a variable 10 lb. spring in a 9mm 1911 and that seems to be pretty darn light!

HK Dave
04-15-2009, 1:05 PM
We originally bought my wife a Glock 19... she can't rack it... so we got her an HK USP 9mm compact, she does fine racking that...

I realized she was having such a hard time because instead of jerking the rack back... she was doing it slowly... shoot even I have a hard time doing it slowly and I weigh 220.

marklbucla
04-15-2009, 1:08 PM
Can she do the G19 now that she's doing it more forcefully?

Or is the G19 still harder than the USP9C?

Fobanginvtek
04-15-2009, 1:14 PM
browning hi-power 9mm =D

IsaacGlass
04-15-2009, 3:03 PM
S&W 625 JM 4lbs DA pull
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/160936_large.jpg

uther04
04-15-2009, 3:10 PM
My wife started shooting with my 92fs. She racked the slide just fine, but the gun was a little too large for her. She got a HK USPc9 which fit her hands perfectly, but was a little harder to rack the slide. After breaking it in her reccomendations are as follows with the beretta being the easiest 92fs>USPc9>Sig 226.

Brooke
04-15-2009, 4:13 PM

Long thread, which I didn't read through, so sorry for duplicate info ...

The Beretta is the easiest of my several 9's to rack. The controls on the slide (which I generally don't like) make it easier to grip.

marklbucla
04-15-2009, 4:30 PM
I do remember that the Vertec had an easily manipulated slide, but the slide mounted controls made it a pain.

Ishoot
04-15-2009, 6:28 PM
+1 on the Beretta 92 FS here. Although I find the HK P2000 a fairly easy and smooth pull as well. Not sure on which one is lighter but the P2000 has a shorter racking action. :thumbsup:

gobabygo
04-15-2009, 11:32 PM
why?
a 92 is sa/da
rack it once, use decocker saftey, now all that is needed is switch saftey to fire & pull trigger, no cocking hammer, racking slide....this seems to be the reason they made sa/da's.........;)

The OP stated that the problem is his wife can't rack a slide. This doesn't have anything to do with SA/DA, SAO or DAO, it has to do with getting that first bullet in the chamber. The ability to lower an external hammer (as opposed to a striker fired gun) will decrease the force needed to rack the slide. The 92 is one example of what I'm talking about.

12voltguy
04-16-2009, 12:25 AM
The OP stated that the problem is his wife can't rack a slide. This doesn't have anything to do with SA/DA, SAO or DAO, it has to do with getting that first bullet in the chamber. The ability to lower an external hammer (as opposed to a striker fired gun) will decrease the force needed to rack the slide. The 92 is one example of what I'm talking about.

the man can rack the slide for her, now just put the decocker on safe, that will lower hammer, not it's ready, loaded chamber & fill mag with one more & full mag, all she has to do now is move saftey to fire & pull the trigger, 11 rds , more then a revolver andno slide to rack unless she needs to reload, & the rack is very easy on a 92:thumbsup:;)

TheBundo
04-16-2009, 1:21 AM
The racking slide could be troublesome for some smaller build people. My girlfriend have trouble with my G22, G23, Sig 226 so those might not be a good choice for your wife. HK USP once the hammer is pull the slide is quite light, and if I remember CZ 75's slide also light enough for her.

My final solution for my girlfriend was a revolver. s&w's hammer pull are easiest for my girlfriend, Ruger GP and SP were a bit hard.

Lighter spring kit in the Ruger solves that. Less than $15, and very easy to DIY, about 10 minutes if your slow

DJMajors
04-16-2009, 5:41 PM
got tired of reading this maybe someone mentioned if so sorry, i recently purchased a glock 19 which my wife was having a difficult time with the gun store owner explained how to to rack the slide, first place the gun out in front of her a little above waist level assuming shes right handed with the left hand grab the slide pointing the barrel down and without putting your hand on the trigger place your right hand on the grip push the grip forward rather than pulling the slide back my wife still found it difficult with the xd but the technique was effective with other handguns

supermario
04-16-2009, 8:03 PM
I saw on outdoor channel (shot show coverage) that the Walther ppk in 380 is really easy to rack for women!!!

Parabellus
04-16-2009, 8:20 PM
I saw on outdoor channel (shot show coverage) that the Walther ppk in 380 is really easy to rack for women!!!
Not my woman and not my PPK. She really likes the look but can't get a decent grip on the short slide especially with the safety lever in the way. I know that with certain techniques and practice she could learn to rack almost any pistol but with the P5 she was good to go right from the start.;)

El Gato
04-16-2009, 8:51 PM
Absolutely hands down the Springfield 1911 govt. model in 9mm... I believe the spring weight is like 9lbs... way easier than the beretta or the glock or the XD or the BHP or the sig p6 or the Para Tac-5... all of which sit in the safe...Springer 9mm 1911's are used by us as "orthopedic" guns for their soft shooting qualities with our clients... esp. oldsters and females.... try it .. you'll like it...

gobabygo
04-16-2009, 11:22 PM
the man can rack the slide for her, now just put the decocker on safe, that will lower hammer, not it's ready, loaded chamber & fill mag with one more & full mag, all she has to do now is move saftey to fire & pull the trigger, 11 rds , more then a revolver andno slide to rack unless she needs to reload, & the rack is very easy on a 92:thumbsup:;)

Per the OP:

Joe788
04-17-2009, 6:49 AM
I don't know if anybody else mentioned it or not, but the difference between my girlfriend being able to rack a 1911 or not, hinges on whether or not the hammer is back. She can't get it started when the hammer is down. If she fully cocks it first, she can easily rack the slide at that point.

My vote for "easiest" goes to the Beretta 90-Two. Again, it's even easier with the hammer back. (Just make sure she doesn't have her finger BEHIND the trigger!)

OCGuy
04-17-2009, 7:56 AM
Wife has no problem at all racking slide on my Beretta 92 Elite 2 or HK P2000. 1911s don't even try, although Sig GSR isn't as bad. Glocks are tough, a 21sf I used to own was the exception. Sigs were tough too, but a 229 I once had was easy, slide was stiff but the serrations were so positive that she was able to get a really firm grip, think that was the problem with Glocks and Springfield/ Kimbers, they are relatively slippery. Same with GSR, slide is firm but serrations are real sharp, allows very positive grip. Something to think about.

dchang0
04-17-2009, 2:00 PM
Anyone mention the S&W CS9 yet? That thing's so easy to rack that I can do it one-handed. Not easily, and not quickly, but yes, one-handed. (Wrap thumb around backstrap, fingers over top of slide, squeeze diagonally just enough to pull the slide back and chamber a round.)

Racking the slide with two hands is ridiculously easy.

As for slippery slides, both Chris Costa and Travis Haley put skateboard-type grip tape on their Glock slides to make them grippier and easier to rack.

mhho
04-17-2009, 5:07 PM

This one:

http://www.guntalk.tv/gtv/library.php?video_id=360

Once your wife has learned to rack this one, she will be able to rack most if not all pistols. Enjoy.

NotSoFast
04-17-2009, 6:01 PM
I found the same problem with the XD. I bought the Glock 17 instead. And I liked that one so much I bought the G35 .40 S&W. :D

TheBundo
04-17-2009, 10:24 PM

Get a spring kit for the Rugers. About $10 online, they include 6 springs of varying strength, all less than stock. There are 3 each for the trigger and hammer. I went to the lightest of each, and it works perfect, and much much easier. It took 5-10 minutes to swap them out