PDA

View Full Version : Glock 18 Question

squishyhead
03-13-2009, 7:10 AM
Ok, first let me state that I have no interest in buying or building a Glock 18. I happened to get into an argument with a guy yesterday regarding my Glock 17, when he asked me if I've ever used it as a full auto. I told him I'd bump-fired it a few times, at which point he clarified that he was asking if I'd ever converted it into a Glock 18. According to this guy, there's a little kit that you can buy with "a knob", that'll convert your Glock to a fully automatic. Additionally, he stated that any Glock that's a fully automatic is a Glock 18. This doesn't seem correct to me for two reasons.

First, from what I know about the Glock 18 it has several big differences from my Glock 17 that would require extensive re-working, if not complete replacements of most/if not all of the parts. Second, I thought the serial number and big 18 stamped on the slide is what makes a Glock 18, a Glock 18, not just the full auto function. Please give me some facts that I can throw at this guy the next time I run into him, I'd really like to be proven right on this one!

CSDGuy
03-13-2009, 7:17 AM
A Glock 18 has parts that will not fit on other Glocks and some other Glock parts will not fit on it.

Putting an adapter on a G22 that makes the G22 FA does not change the fact that it's still a G22. The adapter itself is considered to be "the machinegun"... and since those aftermarket adapters were all made after 1986...

freakshow10mm
03-13-2009, 7:25 AM
Glock 18 is a specific model. It is essentially a Glock 17 spec with a selector on the left side of the slide.

And no there are no fully transferrable Glock 18s. They weren't made domestically so the GCA 1968 prohibits their importation to civilians. It was also made after 1986.

The guy that said any full auto Glock is a Glock 18 is wrong. Weiner punches are the only cure for that stupidity.

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/Glock18/selector.JPG

CSDGuy
03-13-2009, 8:04 AM
Glock 18 is a specific model. It is essentially a Glock 17 spec with a selector on the left side of the slide.

And no there are no fully transferrable Glock 18s. They weren't made domestically so the GCA 1968 prohibits their importation to civilians. It was also made after 1986.

The guy that said any full auto Glock is a Glock 18 is wrong. Weiner punches are the only cure for that stupidity.

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/Glock18/selector.JPG
That selector switch is what does all the work. The Glock 18 (and any other Glock modified with that same switch design) can't do bursts, meaning you can't set it to a "3 round burst". It's either SA or FA, nothing in between. For units that use the G17 that find that they need FA without looking FA armed, the G18 is pure genius. Aside from the switch, it looks just like any other G17...

I wouldn't mind owning a G18... I just couldn't afford to shoot it that often... ;)

rkt88edmo
03-13-2009, 8:21 AM
Ok, first let me state that I have no interest in buying or building a Glock 18. I happened to get into an argument with a guy yesterday...

I'd just stop right there :)

QuarterBoreGunner
03-13-2009, 8:24 AM

That need repeating 'cause it's funny. Weiner punches. HAH!

Ken Lunde has some absolutely fantastic pictures of a Glock 18C that he had access to. Take a peek (http://lundestudio.com/glocks.html#g18c).

freakshow10mm
03-13-2009, 8:45 AM
That selector switch is what does all the work. The Glock 18 (and any other Glock modified with that same switch design) can't do bursts, meaning you can't set it to a "3 round burst". It's either SA or FA, nothing in between. For units that use the G17 that find that they need FA without looking FA armed, the G18 is pure genius. Aside from the switch, it looks just like any other G17...

I wouldn't mind owning a G18... I just couldn't afford to shoot it that often... ;)
Yes, either full auto or semi auto. No burst unless you have trigger control.

I have the blue prints for the selector switch that replaces the slide plate on any Glock. Switch the plate, now you have a FA Glock. As a Class 2 manufacturer, I can do it on a lazy Sunday. In fact, as soon as my steel material gets here I will be making my own selector switch plate. I'll have some video up when it's done. Gimme about a week or two. Full auto Glock 30 .45 with a suppressor anyone?:thumbsup:

Ken Lunde has some absolutely fantastic pictures of a Glock 18C that he had access to. Take a peek (http://lundestudio.com/glocks.html#g18c).
That's the later C model that is comped to reduce muzzle climb. It definitely helps. When I lived in WI, the SOT that I got my suppressor from had a Glock 18 and 18C. His BIL is the sheriff so he got demo letters at will. I shot both of them there while shopping around. Fun guns for sure.

Turbinator
03-13-2009, 1:26 PM
I've seen the rear plate replacements available elsewhere, for converting any standard Glock handguns to shoot full auto. Not legal for most of us, but interesting nonetheless.

There was a guy in the Philippines who had his Glock 26 converted to select fire, it used the same round slide mounted selector that the G18 uses. I'll have to dig up his pictures and post them here for all to see.

Turby

Spyder
03-13-2009, 4:56 PM
freakshow, nobody even likes you!

:D

CSDGuy
03-13-2009, 5:20 PM

I have the blue prints for the selector switch that replaces the slide plate on any Glock. Switch the plate, now you have a FA Glock. As a Class 2 manufacturer, I can do it on a lazy Sunday. In fact, as soon as my steel material gets here I will be making my own selector switch plate. I'll have some video up when it's done. Gimme about a week or two. Full auto Glock 30 .45 with a suppressor anyone?:thumbsup:

That's the later C model that is comped to reduce muzzle climb. It definitely helps. When I lived in WI, the SOT that I got my suppressor from had a Glock 18 and 18C. His BIL is the sheriff so he got demo letters at will. I shot both of them there while shopping around. Fun guns for sure.
That selector plate replacement is also a darned good idea. Unfortuntely, if you put that plate on your Glock, it's really easy to tell that you've modified the pistol.

Of course, everyone's not so happy with you... You can make this stuff whereas the rest of us... :(

Grumpyoldretiredcop
03-13-2009, 5:46 PM
Squishyhead,

Freakshow's right. The guy needs a weiner punch. There's only one Glock model that's select fire; that's the Glock 18 in 9MM. I've only seen the slide plate conversion in videos. Google "Glock full auto conversion" and you'll see a number of those videos.

I've personally seen one other illegally converted Glock (evidence shown at an ATF demo), done by drilling the slide and inserting a pin. Tell your buddy to go ahead and buy that "knob"... he'd have an easier time getting a demo letter and a sample weapon I suspect.

Glock 18s are fun. When Glock presented their armorer/rangemaster course at my agency (almost 10 years ago) the factory rep brought a Glock 18 and used it to show how durable the design was. He had the class line up, ammo in hand; the shooter at the head of the line fired his extended mag and handed it to the next shooter, who did the same. Everybody in line was loading mags as fast as they could. When the weapon got too hot to hold (the polymer grip frame doesn't retain heat well but the slide and barrel do!), the rep would take it, locked open, and drop it in a bucket of water. He'd pull it out, shake it, and hand it to the next shooter. It was amazingly controllable, both as to recoil and burst control.

Freakshow, I'm jealous. I don't get to play with that stuff anymore and you do. :D

pat038536
03-13-2009, 5:49 PM
Doesn't Ted Nugent own a Glock 18?

tonelar
03-13-2009, 6:30 PM
Yeah he doesn't... I think his is a converted 26.

lunde
03-13-2009, 6:36 PM
The slide and frame of the G18 cannot be interchanged with those of the G17. The height of the frame rails and the corresponding rails in the slide, prevent these from being exchanged. This is in addition to the additional full-auto parts of the G18.

freakshow10mm
03-13-2009, 7:29 PM
There was a guy in the Philippines who had his Glock 26 converted to select fire, it used the same round slide mounted selector that the G18 uses. I'll have to dig up his pictures and post them here for all to see.

Turby
Full auto in other countries is largely unregulated. Lots of people in the Philies have full auto.

freakshow, nobody even likes you!

:D
I know that already. You don't have to remind me.

That selector plate replacement is also a darned good idea. Unfortuntely, if you put that plate on your Glock, it's really easy to tell that you've modified the pistol.

Of course, everyone's not so happy with you... You can make this stuff whereas the rest of us... :(
When I make it to Fresno later this summer, bring your own ammo and you can shoot the machine guns I bring with me all you want.

Freakshow, I'm jealous. I don't get to play with that stuff anymore and you do. :D
It's fun for a while but the novelty wears off soon enough. I have to pay nearly $3,000 in fees every year to be able to do this stuff, so there are drawbacks, in addition to the other FFL stuff I have to deal with.

Running a block down the road to grab the police chief so he can try out my new machine guns and suppressors: priceless. He calls me weekly to see if I got any more cool stuff.

Doesn't Ted Nugent own a Glock 18?
I can't confirm it, but I believe he has one issued to him as a TX constable. He got sworn in as LE so he could have post 86 MGs issued to him years ago. He can also now carry nationwide due to his status and LEOSA. I know of a few LE that are issued the G18.

12voltguy
03-13-2009, 8:08 PM

$180
since you can own one, this is cheaper then your time is worth
http://www.rh-custom.net/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=77

freakshow10mm
03-13-2009, 8:14 PM
RH-Lego
Islandsv. 1A
SE35247 VAXJO
SWEDEN

Notice contact information is in Sweden. Machine guns are unregulated in Sweden. It is legal there.

Here, as a Class 2 manufacturer I could import it for R&D. Is it worth the $180, customs tariffs, AECA filing for a part I can make in less than 2 hours using maybe $10 in material with a simple faxing of a Form 2 to the ATF after I made it? I'm a manufacturer. I roll my own.:68:

QuarterBoreGunner
03-13-2009, 8:15 PM
^nice.

12voltguy
03-13-2009, 8:28 PM
RH-Lego
Islandsv. 1A
SE35247 VAXJO
SWEDEN

Notice contact information is in Sweden. Machine guns are unregulated in Sweden. It is legal there.

Here, as a Class 2 manufacturer I could import it for R&D. Is it worth the $180, customs tariffs, AECA filing for a part I can make in less than 2 hours using maybe $10 in material with a simple faxing of a Form 2 to the ATF after I made it? I'm a manufacturer. I roll my own.:68:
you can whip it out in 2hrs:eek:

HkUSP45
03-13-2009, 9:32 PM
how bout this one.

http://www.fss-g.com/index2.htm

vf111
03-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Wasn't there a Glock 18 in the Travolta/ Cage movie "Face-Off"? And wasn't there a Beretta FA handgun too? Dang, those were sweet....

freakshow10mm
03-14-2009, 6:57 AM
The full auto Beretta is the 93R. Had a angled forward grip and extended trigger guard so you loop your support thumb through it and grab the front grip to control the muzzle rise.

freakshow10mm
03-14-2009, 7:13 AM
how bout this one.

http://www.fss-g.com/index2.htm
That's one of the companies that's peddling them. Word on the streets is it's an ATF front.

JTROKS
03-14-2009, 7:18 AM
Wiener punches sounds good. LOL!