PDA

View Full Version : Gunbroker.com supports the lead ban?!

Spyder
03-13-2009, 6:04 AM
That's what I got out of this months Gunbroker.com newsletter at least...

Dangitt, can't cut and paste it 'cause its an image in my emails...

steven_m64
03-13-2009, 6:27 AM
here it is:
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6958/gbleadammo.jpg

AlexBreya
03-13-2009, 6:54 AM
332 condors! we may need to start slimming their numbers.

dfletcher
03-13-2009, 8:50 AM

Absolutely - one of them pooped on my convertible, mess plowed through the canvas top and took out my center console. Damn buzzards!

SmokinMr2
03-13-2009, 10:34 AM
I hear they taste like chicken :devil2:

rrr70
03-13-2009, 10:38 AM

87 in Cali.:D

easy
03-13-2009, 5:16 PM
I don't think they support lead-free, I think the are reporting on lead-free. It loooks like they just took press releases and stuck them into their newsletter for 'think about it' filler.

leitung
03-13-2009, 5:21 PM

:rofl2: When is condor season again?:44:

85FourEyedGT
03-13-2009, 7:36 PM
why does everyone here hate condors lol! theyre awesome !!

audihenry
03-13-2009, 7:59 PM
why does everyone here hate condors lol! theyre awesome !!

I remember seeing one a decade ago at the zoo: a magnificent creature!

scr83jp
03-13-2009, 8:04 PM
That's what I got out of this months Gunbroker.com newsletter at least...

Dangitt, can't cut and paste it 'cause its an image in my emails...The CA Dept of Fish & Game hasn't a clue where the condors are getting the lead

Spyder
03-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Well that's my point. The article pretty much says, over and over, that condors die because they eat carcasses that have lead in them from hunters. I thought that was never actually proven and was just speculation...but then again I'm not affected by the lead ban where I hunt and shoot so I haven't followed it nearly as closely as others. ...and I also believe that it is the Fish and Game Commission, not the Department of Fish and Game that pushed the lead ban through... :/

gunboat
03-14-2009, 4:51 PM
It really is just another ant-gun propaganda issue -- Condors eating lead contaminated carcass' is a strawman argument -- How many bullets can there be left in carcass' in their habitat? Start with a false premise and build a case -- That's what enviro lawyers get paid to do --

Can'thavenuthingood
03-14-2009, 5:24 PM
In a couple years as the Condors continue to die off, it will be due to hunters using home grown lead bullets, black market bullets and pre-ban bullets.

Only solution will be to outlaw hunting. As the Condor continues to die off due to lead poisoning it will be due to poaching and guns will have to be outlawed to save the only 3 left in California.

Never thinking the lead bullets may not be the cause after all. Its evolution at work.

Vick

rp55
03-14-2009, 8:35 PM
:rofl2: When is condor season again?:44:

It's open now apparently. Poor bird had lead poisoning of both varieties.

Ailing condor taken to L.A. Zoo (http://www.montereyherald.com/news/ci_11912994?nclick_check=1)

Exam finds lead poisoning and shotgun pellets in wing and body
By KEVIN HOWE
Monterey Herald Staff Writer
Updated: 03/14/2009 01:35:43 AM PDT

A California condor brought to the Los Angeles Zoo for treatment of apparent lead poisoning was found to have been wounded by shotgun pellets, said the Ventana Wildlife Society.

Society executive director Kelly Sorenson said Condor 286 was ailing in late January, going from being a healthy, dominant bird in the Central Coast condor flock to being picked on by adolescent birds. Condors are assigned a number and have a radio transmitter attached to them.

Wildlife biologists captured the condor March 4. Field tests showed a high lead level in his blood, Sorenson said.

The bird was taken to the zoo for treatment, where X-rays showed shotgun pellets in his wing and body.

Zoo veterinarians are treating the bird for lead poisoning and haven't attempted to remove the pellets because of the condor's fragile condition, Sorenson said.

He said it is not known if the pellets themselves were lead or more recently-manufactured steel or nonlead alloy shot. He said that even if they are lead pellets, that wouldn't be the source of the lead poisoning.

Condors are particularly susceptible to lead poisoning from ingesting pellets, bullets or bullet fragments while scavenging game carcasses, Sorenson said. Harming condors, which are listed as an endangered species, is a federal felony.

In July, the state Fish and Game Commission changed hunting regulations to require hunters in the condor's range to use only nonlead ammunition.

For information on ammunition regulations, see www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor.

Seesm
03-14-2009, 9:21 PM
Come on what lead? Stupid....