PDA

View Full Version : what kind of 1911 holster should i get?

colddeadhands
03-13-2009, 1:42 AM
I just got a 1911 and I want to get a good holster for it.
All of my other handguns are are single action revolvers, so I dont have much experience with this type.

I want to get one that will be good for concealed carry, but comfort is i big factor because I will be wearing it for long days in the mountains.

Thanks

EDIT* I would prefer leather.

savs2k
03-13-2009, 1:47 AM
i have a serpa blackhawk for my kimber. i love it

Knight
03-13-2009, 3:34 AM
Are you looking for an inside-waistband or outside-waistband holster? strongside or crossdraw?

I have a Milt Sparks VM-2 IWB holster for CCW and I love it. The belt loops have a wide spacing, which makes the rig very comfortable.

When I go backpacking/hiking, I carry my 1911 in a fobus paddle holster, though admittedly I only use it for lack of a better one.

Just out of curiosity, what part of Humboldt are you located?

Monte
03-13-2009, 4:41 AM
I'm a big fan of Kramer Leather's horsehide holsters. When it comes to leather concealment holsters, I wouldn't go with anything else, except maybe one of their sharkskin models. Horsehide is super dense and durable. My cowhide holsters seem soft and floppy in comparison.

If you're on a budget, I'd go with a Fobus or similar paddle holster, as long as a paddle suites your needs. Paddles are very comfortable in my experience, btw.

NiteQwill
03-13-2009, 6:36 AM
Comp-tac MTAC

Mute
03-13-2009, 9:04 AM
Alessi CQC/s or a Sparks Axiom would be good choices. If you do order one of these, I suggest you get a belt from them too. Alessi and Sparks make some of the best gun belts you can find.

Black Majik
03-13-2009, 9:52 AM
Are you looking for an inside-waistband or outside-waistband holster? strongside or crossdraw?

I have a Milt Sparks VM-2 IWB holster for CCW and I love it. The belt loops have a wide spacing, which makes the rig very comfortable.

When I go backpacking/hiking, I carry my 1911 in a fobus paddle holster, though admittedly I only use it for lack of a better one.

Dang I'm always in agreement with Knight. It's tough to beat a Sparks VM-II which I feel sets the standard for concealment holsters.

Good quality holsters help distribute the weight, along with a good quality gunbelt. Especially for a 40oz. dry 1911, good gear goes a long way and pays itself off.

For OWB, the 60TK is my favorite, since it's a high riding pancake holster that hugs very close to the body.

the_donald_
03-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Got a Serpa myself, but for IWB, I've been eyeballing...

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

Don't have personal experience, but it seems comfy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGQYGYznDL0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGQYGYznDL0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

fr0ng
03-13-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm in the market for a Milt Sparks VM2 for my govt size 1911, but 6 month wait? geeeeze!

Black Majik
03-13-2009, 2:07 PM
I'm in the market for a Milt Sparks VM2 for my govt size 1911, but 6 month wait? geeeeze!

You gotta pay wait to play!

Browse 1911forum or m1911.org. Used ones pop up from time to time.

domokun
03-13-2009, 2:09 PM
TT Gunleather Holsters. They're really nice and worth the wait.

Sam
03-13-2009, 4:05 PM
I love my VMII holster. A full size 1911 in one is absolutely no problem to lug around all day. You all know you want my milt sparks belt for sale!

Sam
03-13-2009, 4:06 PM

head on over to top gun supply and if they don't have the VMII in stock you can sign up for an email alert. Once you get that email alert you need to mooove faaast!

colddeadhands
03-20-2009, 12:23 PM

I've been thinking I want strong side, thats what im used to. as far as inside waste band or out i don't really know. I was thinking that inside would be better for CCW, but that outside would be more comfortable. I dont have any first hand experience except for western style gun belts.

Im outside of Winnemucca.

colddeadhands
03-20-2009, 12:24 PM
All of these look like good options guess I have a little homework to do and time to start digging in the couch for change.

thanks

RobT2K
03-20-2009, 10:03 PM
I have a nice pancake OWB holster in shark skin from wilson combat that is very nice. It's nice and tight to the body and doesn't move around. I have a officer's size, so it is easy to conceal OWB, might not be easy with a Gov model and OWB carry.

piedrarc
03-21-2009, 7:50 AM
I'm gonna chime in here. Mike Taurisano makes a great functional holster that will outperform anything out there. Reinforced High Ride
(Pro-Max) is a true concealment holster that keeps the pistol close and is made to support the weight and size of the 1911. A added plus is the wait time is not bad at all.

http://www.taurisholsters.com/reinhighride.cfm

Snapping Twig
03-21-2009, 4:28 PM
Check out these videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6id83qgQVic&feature=channel

Lots of holster info.

One Shot, One Dropped
03-21-2009, 9:59 PM
I know you might not like the style, but I haven't heard anyone mention Safariland, and they have very nice and very practical holsters (check their 6280 line).

draconianruler
03-21-2009, 10:05 PM
How about a shoulder holster from Galco. They are comfy when you carry long time.