PDA

View Full Version : Dilema with a Walther P22

Iloveguns
03-13-2009, 12:09 AM
New to this site. Hope this is in the right section. Wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think. Last week I went into the store I originally bought my p22, to do a firearm transfer with a buddy of mine. The asst. manager told me that they wouldn't touch it. I was not aware of the recall they had on them to permanently fix the piece on the end of the barrel for the state of California. He told me it was back in 2005 which confused me because I bought the gun in 2007 from there store. He was trying to tell me it was my problem to get this gun to Walther as it is know illegal in CA. Needless to say I had him call Walther up and there sending me a label to ship it back. My question to you is. Did they sell me an illegal gun? And should they be responsible for this, and possibly buy the gun back from me. Or should I just send it in and not complain? I moved here from Wisconsin 5 years ago. If I would have known how retarded it is to sell a gun in California compared to Wisconsin. I would of had second thoughts on moving here!! Any input would be great

69Mach1
03-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Does it say "CA" on the slide?
If it doesn't, does the end of your barrel look like this?
http://home.dustins.org:81/wp-content/uploads/20080726-shooting-02.jpg

weekend_plinker
03-13-2009, 12:16 AM
call walther up and have them send you the new barrel and keep the old one. If you ever decide to move out of this state. you have the original barrel to put back on so you can add a silencer in the future.

TKM
03-13-2009, 12:35 AM
The DOJ approved the P22s back in the day. A few days later they realized that the P22s had threaded barrels (just like the assassins in the movies used to kill baby condors and stuff) and were Assault Weapons under California law. This has been described as the left hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

Rather than letting us walk the face of the earth with a little Felony in hand they decided that Walther/S&W would fix it.

The DOJ sent us all letters and Walther/S&W picked up the tab to Fedex the pistols back to the factory and epoxy a thread protector in place of the removable original part. If you weren't a California resident at the time you probably had no notification. The whole registering your handguns when moving to California is another thread.

Threaded barrel on a handgun =bad. Take it apart and contact Smith if you are so inclined.

Iloveguns
03-13-2009, 8:57 AM
Bought the gun In CA. From Turners outdoorsman. It does have the CA on the side. Might have been missed by Walther I'm not sure. Ill trying calling Walther again.

69Mach1
03-13-2009, 8:58 AM
Does your barrel thread protector have the notch in it? Also, if it can be removed then it's an AW. Ship it back for modification.

dfletcher
03-13-2009, 9:17 AM
There was a thread on another site in which the buyer (in another state) of a CA Walther P22 recounted getting the gun and not knowing why there was a protector on the barrel - said he had a hell of a time getting it off but with some elbow grease and heat he did so.

CA DOJ approved then "realized" it was an AW? I'll bet someone looked at it & had the immediate "well, it's only a 22" reaction and figured - as a normal person would - it must be OK.

tba02
03-13-2009, 1:17 PM
Bought the gun In CA. From Turners outdoorsman. It does have the CA on the side. Might have been missed by Walther I'm not sure. Ill trying calling Walther again.

Having the CA on the side would be a good indicator. The other would be the barrel lacking threading for a suppressor and having a rounded barrel nut (non CA models allow easy removal with a wrench).

I have a circa 2002 that was sent back to Walther for "adjustment" and a letter stating the fact was included. Initially a "WAP" model but the CA was added to the slide. Newer ones are "CAP" models, again with the CA reference.

There will also be a date code (AB, AC, AD etc.) which would be useful to compare mfg to ban/mod dates.

bwiese
03-13-2009, 2:59 PM
If you have a Walther marked as 'P22CA', it is a legal pistol in CA; it does not require modification and can be sold, possessed, etc. like any other pistol.

Iloveguns
03-13-2009, 3:17 PM
If you have a Walther marked as 'P22CA', it is a legal pistol in CA; it does not require modification and can be sold, possessed, etc. like any other pistol.

? Even if that piece comes off? I'll will try posting pictures of what I mean later tonight. Thanks for the info guys.

ke6guj
03-13-2009, 3:21 PM
as asked above, does it have the wrench flats to remove the barrel retainer? Or is it smooth? If it is smooth, it sounds like the loctite failed, and you should be able to just re-loctite it. IIRC, all that Walther/S&W did for the recall was to replace the retainer nut with a smooth nut and loctite it in place.

Iloveguns
03-13-2009, 3:30 PM
Here is what I am talking about.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/ndcrusher/Gun2001.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/ndcrusher/Gun2003.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/ndcrusher/Gun2002.jpg

Iloveguns
03-13-2009, 3:33 PM
As you can see its smooth. There is no sign of loc-tite.

ke6guj
03-13-2009, 3:35 PM
are you talking about the removable compensator?

Nothing illegal about that that I know of.

The recall and issue is with the barrel retaining nut at the end of the barrel. The barrel is threaded under that nut and would violate the pistol AW regs, except that CADOJ allows for Walther to use a smooth nut loctited in place.

edit: you wouldn't normally see loctite, it wouldbe on the threads. Does the barrel nut unscrew easily?

Iloveguns
03-13-2009, 3:40 PM
Yeah the compensator The guy at the gun store told me it was illegal to have with the compensator off it needed to be permanently fixed. Sorry Im not good at expressing what Im trying to talk about.

Barrel nut does not come off.

ke6guj
03-13-2009, 3:46 PM
OK, I'd hold off on sending it back to Walther. Call them and explain that you have the P22 Target version, and that the compensator is removable, not the barrel nut.

AFAIK, there is no restriction on the removable compensator, as long as it does not use the barrel threads to attach.

Too bad Turners is just about out of stock on everything, otherwise you could show him an identical model in the showcase.

69Mach1
03-13-2009, 3:47 PM
Wrong. You're legal. An assault weapon pistol is one with a threaded barrel. Since the nut does not come off to expose the threads underneath you're fine. The comp comes off like that.

Iloveguns
03-13-2009, 3:53 PM
Thanks guys. Ill try going in again on Tuesday to see if they give me any more grief.

Blue
03-13-2009, 3:56 PM
Dude find another place to do the transfer.

tba02
03-13-2009, 4:33 PM
Yup. legal!
Funny part is that many tend to strip those screws and have a bear of a time getting them off :chris:

More p22 info at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Gio
03-13-2009, 5:19 PM
I just bought my P22-CA Target for my B-Day in Feb from another member that bought it new back in 2003. So your original place is just being st00pid about it. Try another place to do it at ;)

-Gio