PDA

View Full Version : Suspended priviledge = denial of rights?

DB2
03-12-2009, 6:55 PM
Interesting how in this great state of California, one can be denied his constitutional rights due to a suspended priviledge. Case in point; a suspended DL (priviledge) fails you from DROSing a firearm (right).

Long story short, I was rejected on a Dros due to a temporary suspended drivers liscense. The liscense thing is my own fault and should have been taken care of sooner. But what fascinates me is how my drivers liscense with current info (even though temp suspended), and a squeeky clean back ground check won't work to DROS a firearm. Because my DL is suspended does that mean I'm not who it says I am? I guess it's not a valid ID anymore.

Now I need to pay California $14 to reinstate my DL so I can DROS again. It's my own lazy *** fault for not taking my proof of insurance in to verify I had it, although now it shows in there computer as being valid. Frigin DMV.:thumbsup::rolleyes:

And no, I had no idea my DL was suspended, until the shop called.

ETD1010
03-12-2009, 6:56 PM
no, you can get an California ID card and use that for DROS if you have a suspended/revoked/expired, etc driver's license.

SJgunguy24
03-12-2009, 7:00 PM
no, you can get an California ID card and use that for DROS if you have a suspended/revoked/expired, etc driver's license.

Yep 100% I have DROS go through on at least 8 different firearms and became an 03 FFL with a suspended license.:thumbsup:

Trader Jack
03-12-2009, 9:07 PM

That will not work. The California ID is the same number as your CDL and it will also be considered as invalid for a dros.:chris:

ohsmily
03-12-2009, 9:23 PM
That will not work. The California ID is the same number as your CDL and it will also be considered as invalid for a dros.:chris:
A valid California ID card will work just fine.

nick
03-12-2009, 9:26 PM

An ID, while having the same number as the DL, is not suspended when your DL is suspended.

leelaw
03-12-2009, 9:27 PM

If the CID is valid, then DROS will not be denied. Remember that DROS forms specify between CDL and CID.

barrykay
03-13-2009, 9:06 PM
If the CID is valid, then DROS will not be denied. Remember that DROS forms specify between CDL and CID.

Very true. BUT, If it is cross checked with the DMV and if a suspended license comes up, they can and will put a DMV hold on it. I have had it happen to me.;)

saki302
03-14-2009, 5:06 AM
Just out of academic curiosity- is a U.S. Passport an acceptable alternative to a driver's license?

-Dave

Vin496
03-14-2009, 6:56 AM
Just out of academic curiosity- is a U.S. Passport an acceptable alternative to a driver's license?

-Dave

No,

A passport is proof of US citizenship. You must be a resident in the State you are purchasing a gun, and a passport does not show this information.

Darklyte27
03-14-2009, 7:24 AM
You are not required to DRIVE to buy a gun...

Rob454
03-14-2009, 7:55 AM
I dont get it? How is it the DMVs fault you got your license suspended? The reason that its done this way is because there are too many people who get in trouble somehow and theire afraid the said person will go out buy a gun come back to the courtroom, or witness or whatever circumstance they got their lic revoked and come back shooting.
So why was the license suspended?

IGOTDIRT4U
03-14-2009, 7:55 AM
You are not required to DRIVE to buy a gun...

You are not required to have a DL to buy a car!

And the correct answer is that a CID will work even if the CDL is suspended.

Vin496
03-14-2009, 7:59 AM
I dont get it? How is it the DMVs fault you got your license suspended? The reason that its done this way is because there are too many people who get in trouble somehow and theire afraid the said person will go out buy a gun come back to the courtroom, or witness or whatever circumstance they got their lic revoked and come back shooting.

WTF are you talking about?

He never said it was the DMVs fault, and the rest of your post is complete FUD!!

I'm hoping you were trying to be sarcastic, but it just didn't translate well.

DB2
03-14-2009, 9:20 AM

Didn't say it was the DMVs fault. Here is what I said.

It's my own lazy *** fault for not taking my proof of insurance in to verify I had it, although now it shows in there computer as being valid.

Liscense is suspended due to no valid insurance on file, WHEN I was pulled over for tags. I didn't have my Farmers binder with me. The insurance is on file now, but I didn't take it to the court personally to get it signed off. = liscense suspended.

As far as the rest of your post, lets just say it's entertaining. I would not need a new gun to shoot up a court room. the DOJ already knows that. :rolleyes:

I just find it interesting how a priviledge trumps a right. Never had experience with that before. The 4 gun Dros probably didn't help.:43:

thedrickel
03-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Well . . . to exercise one of your constitutional rights . . . you are required to produce a valid form of state-issued ID . . . possession of which is otherwise not required . . . makes a lot of sense to me! NOT!

PS Way to get denied man!

Vin496
03-15-2009, 2:11 PM
NOPE--been there done that, I had to spend weeks in the Alaska backcountry underarmed because of this provision. I couldn't buy the proper firearms due to the Kommiefornia ID glitches, change of address etc.
Alaska FFL's refused to sell to me because it is a Federal law that Kommifornia residents can only buy guns in Kommifornia. I was determined that if we were mauled by a bear and survived I was going to make a big noise out of being a Disarmed Victim at the hands of the State.

FUD!!!!

The is no Federal law restricting gun sales to Californians in California. What the law says is that as long as it is allowed in the purchaser's home State then it is ok. That is how many other States allow long gun sales to residents of adjoining States.

If you knew you were going to Alaska, why didn't you purchase the gun before you went?

leelaw
03-15-2009, 3:06 PM
FUD!!!!

The is no Federal law restricting gun sales to Californians in California. What the law says is that as long as it is allowed in the purchaser's home State then it is ok. That is how many other States allow long gun sales to residents of adjoining States.

If you knew you were going to Alaska, why didn't you purchase the gun before you went?

They must follow all requirements for CA sales, too. How many out of state FFLs do you know who can run DROS?