PDA

View Full Version : Sportsman's Warehouse mass closings

caduckgunner
03-12-2009, 6:40 PM
Anyone think they may have tried to expand to fast :rolleyes:

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/company.cfm

March 10, 2009

Stuart Utgaard, the Chairman and CEO of Sportsman's Warehouse Holdings, today announced that the company is taking two major actions to improve liquidity.
1. 23 stores are being liquidated to reduce bank debt. 2. 15 stores are being sold to UFA Co-op.
• Aurora, CO
• Coon Rapids, MN
• DePere, WI
• Henderson, NV
• Lafayette, IN
• Las Cruces, NM
• Las Vegas, NV
• Legacy, TX
• Memphis, TN
• Nampa, ID
• New Berlin, WI
• Oklahoma City, OK
• Pittsburgh, PA
• Pocatello, ID
• Roanoke, VA
• Rogers, AR
• Round Rock, TX
• St. Cloud, MN
• Sioux Falls, SD
• Southaven, MS
• Visalia, CA
• Wichita, KS
• Woodbury, MN • Bend, OR
• Bozeman, MT
• Burlington, WA
• Coeur d’Alene, ID
• Fargo, ND
• Federal Way, WA
• Helena, MT
• Kennewick, WA
• Lacey, WA
• Missoula, MT
• Portland, OR
• Salem, OR
• Silverdale, WA
• Spokane, WA
• Vancouver, WA

It is hoped that these actions will enable the firm to go forward as a viable entity with approximately 2,300 employees. Sportsman's Warehouse is a leading outdoor retailer of sporting goods headquartered in Midvale, Utah.

Saigon1965
03-12-2009, 6:42 PM
Perhaps it's just the sign of the times - A lot of retail is going away - There will be more -

Jonathan Doe
03-12-2009, 6:44 PM
If they sell more stuffs to California, they may stay in business longer.:rolleyes:

Danield
03-12-2009, 6:48 PM
There was a store in Victorville a while ago, I went to their website to check the Ad, and it wasn't listed anymore.

caduckgunner
03-12-2009, 6:52 PM
There was a store in Victorville a while ago, I went to their website to check the Ad, and it wasn't listed anymore.

I think it was only open for 4 months or so.

SuperSet
03-12-2009, 6:54 PM
With the boom in gun sales, I'm a little surprised that that wasn't enough to prop up the company. How long before Bass Pro Shops is next?

tgriffin
03-12-2009, 7:01 PM
With the boom in gun sales, I'm a little surprised that that wasn't enough to prop up the company. How long before Bass Pro Shops is next?

Ya know, I was about to say, thats not going to happen, but really...I stopped myself thinking that in this economy...all bets are off.

Paul
03-12-2009, 7:11 PM
They won't sell anything black or anything with screws to one out of eight US citizens - the ones that live in California. That's a screwed up marketing strategy. If their accountants are a confused or stupid as their lawyers are there's no wonder they're going out of business. I get banning the sale of magazines but why they don't sell gun stocks, tactical lights, triggers ...

Bryan16
03-12-2009, 7:16 PM
I have bought many things from them and really would hate to see the Rocklin location go under. Unfortunately, they never have anything in stock now. I haven't seen a Glock or Sig in stock for months. Luckily they still carry the CCI 10mm practice round which I like. They had a great reloading selection at one time but now it's down to bare bones.

gdr_11
03-12-2009, 7:36 PM
Roger that on the Rocklin store. Last time I was there they had squat for semi auto pistols and only minimal revolvers. I asked if they could search stock in other stores and transfer in (as they have done before) and I was told they had stopped all inter-store transfers of firearms.

With the closure/sale list now public, maybe I will try again to see if we can acces stock from a doomed store.

USN CHIEF
03-12-2009, 7:38 PM
I am happy that they are clossing. Screw them for not selling to CA. :clap:

JHC
03-12-2009, 7:49 PM
The Rocklin store might as well be closed, I went there last week firearms were scarce, most the holsters were gone, and the relodaing supply shelves are bare.

Shane916
03-12-2009, 7:58 PM
The Rocklin store might as well be closed, I went there last week firearms were scarce, most the holsters were gone, and the relodaing supply shelves are bare.

Yeah doesn't make sense.

back in the day that place was always busy and always had items well stocked.

Definitely makes it hard to sell merchandise when there is none available in the store!

rg_1111@yahoo.com
03-12-2009, 8:06 PM
I was in the Rocklin store two months ago. Store was bare lots of shotgun shells.

cal_ar_shooter
03-12-2009, 8:56 PM
I was in the Rocklin store two months ago. Store was bare lots of shotgun shells.

Yep, went there after the Gun Show at Cal Expo Sunday and they had nothing....:confused:

DarkHorse
03-12-2009, 9:26 PM
I am happy that they are clossing. Screw them for not selling to CA. :clap:

Bro, I believe you're thinking of Sportsman's Guide, the website. This is about Sportsman's Warehouse, a retail store. I don't think they're related.

Shane916
03-12-2009, 9:37 PM
Bro, I believe you're thinking of Sportsman's Guide, the website. This is about Sportsman's Warehouse, a retail store. I don't think they're related.

You're correct they aren't related.

lol @ USN :D

It would be difficult for a retail store (non-online) located in Rocklin, CA to not sell to Californians don't ya think ;)

Darklyte27
03-12-2009, 9:38 PM
wow...

Knauga
03-12-2009, 9:57 PM

They were building that store longer than it was open :eek:

railroader
03-13-2009, 5:28 AM
The victorville location completely sucked. It was off the freeway where you couldn't see it. They put it in victorville off the 15 where it misses all the eastern sierra fishing crowd. If it was farther south off the 15 where you could see it like Bass Pro maybe it would have worked. Mark

Thrillbilly
03-13-2009, 5:50 AM
The Nampa location up here just opened last year. Oh well the wife and I went there and picked up some pretty good deals. We ended up leaving there with a S&W 642 Crimson Trace for her and a new float tube, fly rod, lots of tapered leaders and tippet for me.

rue
03-13-2009, 5:58 AM
Rockin, CA. store hasn't had squat in months as far as reloading supplies. I stopped asking why and when a long time ago and just starting ordering online. If they can't restock shelfs with popular items screw em.
I won't be missing the disappointment after driving an hour to see bare shelfs.

xxG3xx
03-13-2009, 6:14 AM
when the store in victorville was open i would go there and buy stuff weekly..and out of no where they said "we are closing our doors". if they would of waited a little longer i think they would of been booming now because all of the obama stuff going on.

BroncoBob
03-13-2009, 6:28 AM

I was just about to say that.

Greg-Dawg
03-13-2009, 6:44 AM
The bad economy is a big slap, with property lease, shipping merchandise, employee/labor costs....things had to go...including a whole store.

What sucks more is more people will be out of the job.

fairfaxjim
03-13-2009, 8:21 AM
A lot of chain stores are in the same boat. While things were booming, they rapidly expanded. They paid top dollar on leased space - real estate was goofy high, high construction costs, and dumped a lot of money in getting a lot of stores up and running. Now there is a lot less discretionary income out there due to the economic conditions = greatly reduced sales.

As for the sporting goods specific stores, people may be buying guns to beat the Obama effect, but gun purchasers are not a very big demographic as far as large store retail goes. Add to that the total lack of available merchandise in the firearm arena since the election, and the firearms cash cow is DOA. A whole chain of stores requires a LOT more product flow than a mom & pop gun storefront. A double whamy, people not buying what you can get, i.e. conventional sporting goods, and you not being able to get what people are buying. Then they spent all the cash on hand building stores, have high debt loads to go with that, greatly decreased cash flow from sales, and bye bye!

Internet sales has an effect too. CompUSA closed all of their retail stores and now is internet only.

-hanko
03-13-2009, 3:42 PM
The Nampa location up here just opened last year. Oh well the wife and I went there and picked up some pretty good deals. We ended up leaving there with a S&W 642 Crimson Trace for her and a new float tube, fly rod, lots of tapered leaders and tippet for me.
But again, the Nampa store is hard to see from the freeway, + the Meridian, ID store is only around a 20-25 minute drive east down the freeway. Ammo & reloading stuff is not especially cheap, considering Idaho...

They sell Bushmaster, but at full msrp. Not a bad place to shop for closeouts.

Thrillbilly, what city are you in??

-hanko

AKman
03-13-2009, 3:59 PM

Cabelas got a huge boot in revenue due to gun/ammo sales. While the market was crashing, their stock was going up.

Blue
03-13-2009, 4:00 PM
Perhaps it's just the sign of the times - A lot of retail is going away - There will be more -

Dude I drove by a building today that used to be a Target and it's a friggin WALMART now :eek:

leitung
03-13-2009, 4:10 PM
The Rocklin store has been out of almost everything for months. Barely any pistols, mostly single actions and 38 sunb noses. Almost no semis, although they had the Kahr 9mms all over the place, they were taking the high end 1911s and putting them on the wall in a futile attempt make it look full. I was hoping after they got bought out by that one company that things would improve. However I have not seen that happen. Last time I was in there, even the long guns were starting to slip away. Ammo was almost gone except for shot shells. Really lame... I hope things will improve soon!

Rule .308
03-13-2009, 4:14 PM
I went to the Victorville store when they first opened and it was great, went back about 6-8 months later and it was gone, bummer.

Jerkdog
03-13-2009, 5:59 PM
The Rocklin store has been out of almost everything for months. Barely any pistols, mostly single actions and 38 sunb noses. Almost no semis, although they had the Kahr 9mms all over the place, they were taking the high end 1911s and putting them on the wall in a futile attempt make it look full. I was hoping after they got bought out by that one company that things would improve. However I have not seen that happen. Last time I was in there, even the long guns were starting to slip away. Ammo was almost gone except for shot shells. Really lame... I hope things will improve soon!

+1 on all that. I was in there about 3 weeks ago and the place was a ghost town.

givens
03-13-2009, 7:34 PM
I worked at the Victorville location. It would have worked but they did not advertise and we could not get product regularly. I came in to work and was told they were closing the next day. We were only open 4 months. I feel like many other companys have done was expand too fast. I also heard that some Canadian company was supposed to buy them out. I guess that fell through.

Shane916
03-13-2009, 8:25 PM
A lot of chain stores are in the same boat. While things were booming, they rapidly expanded. They paid top dollar on leased space - real estate was goofy high, high construction costs, and dumped a lot of money in getting a lot of stores up and running. Now there is a lot less discretionary income out there due to the economic conditions = greatly reduced sales.

As for the sporting goods specific stores, people may be buying guns to beat the Obama effect, but gun purchasers are not a very big demographic as far as large store retail goes. Add to that the total lack of available merchandise in the firearm arena since the election, and the firearms cash cow is DOA. A whole chain of stores requires a LOT more product flow than a mom & pop gun storefront. A double whamy, people not buying what you can get, i.e. conventional sporting goods, and you not being able to get what people are buying. Then they spent all the cash on hand building stores, have high debt loads to go with that, greatly decreased cash flow from sales, and bye bye!

Internet sales has an effect too. CompUSA closed all of their retail stores and now is internet only.

You nailed that one on the head.

Before the economy dump I used to do multiple carry-outs daily with treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, table tennis etc. At least 10 daily.

So far this year I've done 1. :)

On a side note the firearms and ammunition continue to sell rather well. Unfortunately that's not where the money is for large sporting goods companies.

WokMaster1
03-13-2009, 9:06 PM
For some reason I thought Sportsmans Guide was closing when I read the OP's post. I need a beer.:D