PDA

View Full Version : SBR in Cali...???

K_SNIPER
10-26-2005, 6:31 PM
OK...since I'm on the legal questions these days....

If you have a SB23 registered AR....Will the DOJ let you make it a SBR if you go thru the BATF registration...blah...blah...blah?

K_SNIPER
10-26-2005, 7:06 PM
It's interesting to me what good cause would be in Cali...When I registered my AR's for SB 23, one was registered as "Receiver Only" but came back from the DOJ as a "rifle". I heard later that this is standard. I'm in Orange County so the chief is fairly gun friendly I believe. What do all the others use in other states as "good cause"?...I know several on the AR forum that have simply stated..."Enhance Collection" or the standard which has worked for many.."Firearms Collector"

6172crew
10-26-2005, 7:18 PM
It's interesting to me what good cause would be in Cali...When I registered my AR's for SB 23, one was registered as "Receiver Only" but came back from the DOJ as a "rifle". I heard later that this is standard. I'm in Orange County so the chief is fairly gun friendly I believe. What do all the others use in other states as "good cause"?...I know several on the AR forum that have simply stated..."Enhance Collection" or the standard which has worked for many.."Firearms Collector"

SBR's have to go through local LEO and Im sure if the palm was greazed he or she would sign off on it.

Rumor has it that becoming a class 3 guy here in the PRK cost around 17k

artherd
10-27-2005, 8:19 PM
Good question...but it all comes down to having a good reason/cause to possess one in the eyes of the CA DOJ and a signature from your local chief LEO on the Federal application.

Ted; no it does not.

1) Fed level, Corporations bypass the CLEO signature. As such, doing this the smart way nothing will hinge on your fatalistic view of LE.

2) State level, SBRs are outright verbotten except for LE/mil. No civ permits at all, UNLIKE MGs!

a) MGs can be SBRs though, this is about the most effective (ie only) way outside becoming a MG/class3 dealer. CA DOJ does issue MG posession permits, but they are roumoured to be very hard to get (outside the film industry.)

CPC 12001.5. Except as expressly provided in Section 12020, and solely in accordance with Section 12020, no person may manufacture, import into this state, keep for sale, offer for sale, give, lend, or possess any short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle, as defined in Section 12020, and nothing else in this chapter shall be construed as authorizing the manufacture, importation into this state, keeping for sale, offering for sale, or giving, lending, or possession of any short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle, as defined in Section 12020.

artherd
10-27-2005, 9:57 PM
Whatever Artherd, I'll just shut the **** up.
Totally unnessecary.

Unless you feel something I posted is factually inaccurate. Then I welcome any correction.

Bruce
10-28-2005, 8:19 AM
OK...since I'm on the legal questions these days....

If you have a SB23 registered AR....Will the DOJ let you make it a SBR if you go thru the BATF registration...blah...blah...blah?

No. 12020PC specifically bans SBR's. BATFE will defer to the local law.