PDA

View Full Version : Strange thing at a gun shop..from a customer this time.

56Chevy
03-12-2009, 5:26 PM
I was at Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View, and a guy just finished his HSC test. He passed with 2 wrong, but he kept arguing with the guys working there over the laws his wrong answers were referring to. He kept insisting he was right and that the test was wrong. I didn't have the heart to tell him I got 100% without studying.:p

onikage
03-12-2009, 5:59 PM
That's pretty funny. It's not like he failed it completely.

Turbinator
03-12-2009, 6:00 PM
Why argue? It's not going to change his score. Weird.

Turby

AlexBreya
03-12-2009, 6:04 PM
did the gun vault have anymore AK47 mags? GSG5 mags? 10/22 mags?

USN CHIEF
03-12-2009, 6:07 PM
I don't understand. Why was it strange?

Hemijustin
03-12-2009, 6:15 PM
Similar story when i took my HSC. There was an older gentleman taking his at the same time, he passed with 5 wrong. I overheard him arguing that a bullet wont easily pass through a door or wall. Im pretty sure he was just confused by the wording on the questions though. also he was only taking the test because he forgot his Veterans card.

MikeinnLA
03-12-2009, 6:37 PM
I have a buddy who has been waiting to pick up his new Glock because he hasn't had time to "go online and study for the handgun test". I'm like....DUDE!

Mike

B.D.Dubloon
03-12-2009, 6:40 PM
I have a buddy who has been waiting to pick up his new Glock because he hasn't had time to "go online and study for the handgun test". I'm like....DUDE!

Mike

Anyone who thinks they need to study to pass the HSC test has a self esteem problem:D

Sandman511
03-12-2009, 6:44 PM
Now I like being right just as much as the next guy..... but come on.

Other than superficial, ego fufilling reasons what could be the rationale?

He passed, he can purchase.... be thankful we can still do that!

M

gdr_11
03-12-2009, 9:10 PM
I think they should add another question to the HSC asking what sound a .45 makes:

a. bang
b. pow
c. crack

Correct answer is subject to debate depending upon which comic book you read.

dfletcher
03-12-2009, 9:33 PM
I was at Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View, and a guy just finished his HSC test. He passed with 2 wrong, but he kept arguing with the guys working there over the laws his wrong answers were referring to. He kept insisting he was right and that the test was wrong. I didn't have the heart to tell him I got 100% without studying.:p

There should be a height requirement to take the test. You must be "this tall" to have an HSC. ;)

56Chevy
03-12-2009, 9:46 PM
I don't understand. Why was it strange?
Just the fact that he was arguing...passionately. He even started to talk about how he aced all of his classes in law school. So he knew what he was talking about.

56Chevy
03-12-2009, 9:47 PM
did the gun vault have anymore AK47 mags? GSG5 mags? 10/22 mags?
Sorry, I didn't notice.

56Chevy
03-12-2009, 9:50 PM
There should be a height requirement to take the test. You must be "this tall" to have an HSC. ;)
If that guy reads this he'll blow his top.:p

paintballergb
03-13-2009, 9:39 AM
I think they should add another question to the HSC asking what sound a .45 makes:

a. bang
b. pow
c. crack

LOL

Decoligny
03-13-2009, 9:40 AM

a. bang
b. pow
c. crack

If you are on the receiving end, it shouldn't make any noise at all (depending upon shot placement of course) :D

Turbinator
03-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Now I like being right just as much as the next guy..... but come on.

Other than superficial, ego fufilling reasons what could be the rationale?

He passed, he can purchase.... be thankful we can still do that!

:iagree:

Take the HSC and put it into wallet, say thanks, and start shopping. Anything else is a waste of time.

Turby

dustoff31
03-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Just the fact that he was arguing...passionately. He even started to talk about how he aced all of his classes in law school. So he knew what he was talking about.

There it is, right there.

Scout106
03-13-2009, 1:17 PM
Studying for the HSC is like studying for a urine test.

56Chevy
03-13-2009, 5:18 PM
Studying for the HSC is like studying for a urine test.
Perfect analogy.:p

56Chevy
03-13-2009, 5:19 PM
There it is, right there.
Yup, kind of made me glad I didn't move out there. Luckily, where I live, I don't understand anything anyone says.:p

Blue
03-13-2009, 5:20 PM
I've seen stranger :D

IGOTDIRT4U
03-13-2009, 5:41 PM
I overheard some guys one day while shooting clays at Rauhagges complaining that the guys scoring the Hunter's permit class test were in with a fix as no one got 100%, and one guy even made a big deal about a question he missed that he KNEW was right but the scorer would not accept his explanation.

I'm thinnking, "Dude, you passed a long test, missed a few, and you want to argue? Just get the damn thing and go hunting, will ya!".

Jpach
03-13-2009, 5:52 PM
If you are on the receiving end, it shouldn't make any noise at all (depending upon shot placement of course) :D

Actually, I think the typical .45 ACP is subsonic. That means one would hav a chance to hear the shot since the sound is traveling faster than the bullet.

lazyworm
03-13-2009, 6:00 PM

Mike

Doesn't sound right... he'd need his HSC to DROS. How can he buy one without the HSC?

Matt C
03-13-2009, 6:06 PM
IIRC there is one question on one version about the safest direction to point a gun that I though was wrong, something like down vs up.

tba02
03-13-2009, 6:08 PM
down/up = safest

paul0660
03-13-2009, 6:16 PM
I overheard him arguing that a bullet wont easily pass through a door or wall.

He has watched too much TV. Cover and concealment aren't the same thing.

Matt C
03-13-2009, 6:23 PM
down/up = safest

Yeah, but "in general" which is more safe? Stupid question IMO.

56Chevy
03-13-2009, 7:17 PM
Doesn't sound right... he'd need his HSC to DROS. How can he buy one without the HSC?
I think he meant that his friend should just go in and take the test without studying.

56Chevy
03-13-2009, 7:18 PM
Yeah, but "in general" which is more safe? Stupid question IMO.
The safest direction is AWAY from me.:D

tenpercentfirearms
03-14-2009, 7:50 AM
I never understood why anyone would take the HSC test and waste $25 instead of just using their CCW permit for exemption. :rolleyes:

Actually, I administer this test quite a bit and there are a few questions on there that were designed to trick people. I explain that to them too. In education we would throw those questions out as they are designed more to trick people rather than to accurate assess knowledge.

Sig357
03-14-2009, 9:10 AM
A person with average intelligence can pass the HSC without studying, Yes. However there are some good safety tips that every gun owner should know in that handbook. Safety IMO, should not be taken lightly when dealing with guns. Just because someone can pass the test without studying, doesn't mean they are going to be able to handle the weapon safely.

Trust me I know one of these guys. He couldn't even load the mag properly. Damn scary. I helped him out by convincing him to sell my his handgun.:D

Trendkill
03-14-2009, 9:15 AM
My wife wanted to get a handgun (MP-9)....so I gave her a crash course in the car on the way to the gun shop.....

She aced it....

DB2
03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
IIRC there is one question on one version about the safest direction to point a gun that I though was wrong, something like down vs up.

The question was (something like) which way do you point a weapon.

A-up
B-down
C-foward (something like that)
D- Safe direction.

I answered like I was standing outside. Up. I was wrong. It was a safe direction. I remember so well, since I was yelled at about it from the dude at The Gun Room. His explanation made sense to me. Would you point a loaded gun up, in the bottom floor of an apartment?

To the OP most people don't know when to STFU. If they did, I think the FUD would stop flowing as heavily and services would get better.

56Chevy
03-14-2009, 3:09 PM
To the OP most people don't know when to STFU. If they did, I think the FUD would stop flowing as heavily and services would get better.
Yes, but we wouldn't have good stories to tell.;)

56Chevy
03-14-2009, 3:11 PM
I never understood why anyone would take the HSC test and waste $25 instead of just using their CCW permit for exemption. :rolleyes:

Actually, I administer this test quite a bit and there are a few questions on there that were designed to trick people. I explain that to them too. In education we would throw those questions out as they are designed more to trick people rather than to accurate assess knowledge.
People always hate those trick questions. I just tell them that it's there to make sure that they REALLY know their stuff. That usually keeps them quiet.:D

CaliforniaLiberal
03-15-2009, 12:45 AM
I took my HSC at Sportsman's Warehouse. Missed the first three questions, got one right, missed four more, two right, missed five in a row. I said "Hey, I don't think that can be right."

The test key was transparent plastic with holes for the correct answers. The guy had it flipped upside down.

Did much better after he turned it over.

CL

dadoody
03-15-2009, 12:57 AM

I got 1 wrong on my HSC test:

How many beers can you have before operating a firearm?

A.) One
B.) Two
C.) Three
D.) Four

I picked A for one, since it was the lowest amount.

The answer was E.) Zero (it was cut off the page. Copy.)

pnkssbtz
03-15-2009, 1:17 AM
IIRC the choices for that question were:

Up
Down
At your friends
In the safest possible direction

There were a few ambiguous questions that could go either way depending on who taught you, where you learned, etc.

Vtec44
03-15-2009, 2:00 AM
Why argue? It's not going to change his score. Weird.

Turby

Some people just hate to be wrong. :eek: