PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense Shotty....pump or semi-auto?

TonyNorCal
10-26-2005, 5:36 PM
Which would you recommend and why?

Brass Balls
10-26-2005, 6:03 PM
I like a semi auto. Follow up shots are a bit faster because the recoil is softer, it can be shot one handed, it's more effective from the prone position and it shoots follow up shots by simply pulling the trigger just like my defensive rifle and carry handgun.

I also have more experience using semi auto shotguns and in my experience, using factory ammo, semis are perfectly reliable.

I can understand some arguments in favor of the pump. The pump is less expensive to buy and will do better shooting non lethal bean bags and the light "tactical" rounds, but with my experience I just can't buy the arguement that the pump is better because the semis are unreliable. I figure that my semis have functioned flawlessly through thousands of rounds in wet and muddy duck blinds so I have complete confidence that they will perform perfectly for a few shots inside my bedroom.

When using a pump shotgun in an extremely stressful life and death situation there is also the very real possibilty of short stroking the pump.

http://home.comcast.net/~1911brass/HD_Shotgun.jpg

Gnote
10-26-2005, 6:22 PM
I asked this question before too. Seems the consensus was a pump. Basically cheaper, lets parts to break. The Remington 870 was really popular as well.

Long story short, I went to a range to try out semi-autos, fell in love with trap shooting, now boyfriend is getting me a O/U for my birthday in two weeks.

Now if I can only determine what type of holster is good for his 226ST. Hs birthday is in December. I know, not really a far trade of birthday gifts.:)

Brass Balls
10-26-2005, 6:28 PM
Now if I can only determine what type of holster is good for his 226ST. Hs birthday is in December. I know, not really a far trade of birthday gifts.:)

If the holster is for concealed carry you can't go wrong with a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. There is a wait for them though and I don't know if you would be able to get one in time. However there is a reseller called Lightning Arms that stocks Milt Sparks holsters, they charge a bit more but they can get you the holster in a couple of days.

http://www.miltsparks.com/
http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm

82a1
10-26-2005, 7:34 PM
Which would you recommend and why?

For me personally, I prefer a semi (I have a Benelli M4 w/EOTech mounted on top), as it's very quick for follow up shots. In a "life or death" home defense situation, I would rather just have to pull the trigger for each shot, than having to rely on a pumping action, but that's just me. A buddy of mine has a Remmy 870, which is a great pump action shotgun (probably the best for the money IMO) and is his primary HD weapon. If you're currently on the market for a shotty, I'd suggest hitting your local range to find out what kind will work best for you.

lazyman
10-28-2005, 12:25 PM
well. I think it's a matter of personal preference, both are excellent choices. yes semi's are faster to shoot, worries of short-stroking, but that doesn't mean pumps are bad. one shot from a shotgun will do someone in pretty good, and in my home I don't wan't to be blowing up everything in my house especially my TV:) I'm pretty good with my pump gun so I would have no doubts about using it in a life and death situation. pumps have been used in just about every single modern war. semi's are starting to make an appearence to now

vega
10-28-2005, 4:54 PM
Since I only have 1 shotty which is a Mossy 500 pump in 20g, I would vote for that. I load it with #4 shell.

vega

saki302
10-28-2005, 7:13 PM
I have thre defense shotguns.

A Benelli M1S90- it's 100% reliable even with tactical loads in it ONLY if I use the straight stock. If I use the pistol grip, I need to use full power loads to get it to cycle- maybe because I'm a big guy and the shotgun hitting my shoulder is liek hitting a wall ;)
I like the feel of the straight stock better anyways.

I have an old (pre 1950) winchester model 12 pump shotgun with two barrels- the short one goes on for defense. If you want a neat slick shotgun, got for the Model 12- it's loads slicker than the 870, and it will fire with each pump if you hold down the trigger while racking the pump. They don't make them like this anymore (takedown barrel too!).

I also bought an old Remington Model 11 auto (1920's- copy of the Browning auto-5). It was the best $80 or 100 I've spent- with a little work, I fixed up the stock, added an extended mag, and it now shoots wonderfully.

If you notice, both my autos are recoil operated. They kick harder than gas guns, but are easier to clean, and have less moving parts. A remington 1100 or 11-87 will do you great on a semi, but you have to be ready to clean out the action each time you shoot- cleaning my grandfather's old 1100 when I was 9 still leaves bad memories of cleaning out the trigger group :D
Not to say if I found an 11-87 at the right price I wouldn't scoop it up..

I've felt the Benelli M3, and it's a bad compromise. The pump feels gritty, and it's heavier than the M1 or M4. I say if you want a pump, buy a pump, if you want a semi, buy a semi! Or buy both if you can't make up your mind :D
In general, if you're going to hang a bunch of crap off your gun, stick with a gas-op semi, or a pump- the recoil-op guns don't like too much weight hanging off them. That's why the M4 has a gas-assisted recoil system, so it will work with a light, scope, and other crap the military might hang off it.

-Dave

MadMex
10-28-2005, 7:30 PM
Assumption: The shotty will be kept in the master bedroom.

In the spirit of remaining consistent with other activities of the m.b., go for the pump. There’s no sense in breaking the rhythm.

vega
10-29-2005, 7:02 AM
Assumption: The shotty will be kept in the master bedroom.

In the spirit of remaining consistent with other activities of the m.b., go for the pump. There’s no sense in breaking the rhythm.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

vega

rkt88edmo
10-29-2005, 11:03 AM
If you don't have one, get a pump because they are cheaper and buy some training to go with it.

ligamentum flavum
10-29-2005, 2:59 PM
I bought my GF an 870. It's great because it's simple and reliable. You can use low recoil 00 buck and not worry about malfunctions.

lazyman
10-30-2005, 8:31 PM
I bought my GF an 870. It's great because it's simple and reliable. You can use low recoil 00 buck and not worry about malfunctions.
which brand did you use? I shot about 40 rounds of 00 winchester low recoil and the damn gun kept jamming every so often. The pump would get stuck forward and I had to play around with it to cock it back. Other times when I'd pump the gun the round coming forward wouldn't go in the chamber until 2 or 3 tries. shot everything else fine though. Havent tried low recoil ever since.

ligamentum flavum
10-30-2005, 9:13 PM
which brand did you use? I shot about 40 rounds of 00 winchester low recoil and the damn gun kept jamming every so often. The pump would get stuck forward and I had to play around with it to cock it back. Other times when I'd pump the gun the round coming forward wouldn't go in the chamber until 2 or 3 tries. shot everything else fine though. Havent tried low recoil ever since.

Federal Tactical. I'm not sure why the winchester would cause malfunctions. The pump should function as long as the trigger is pulled since it automatically disengages the action bar lock.

saki302
10-31-2005, 10:41 PM
Sounds like the gun needs work. Both Remmy 870's I had (and sold later) fed anything I ran thorugh them (mostly low recoil buck) just fine. My old WInchester M12 eats anything also. I haven't tried the Aguila mini shells, but never had much use for them anyhow.

You might have a ring of crap in the chamber from shell residue the shells are getting stuck on- just something to check.

-Dave

50 Freak
11-01-2005, 8:43 AM
Benelli M3. It's a semi AND a pump.

That's what I have. Only complaint is it's a little long. But I've always had to live with that problem.:D :D

bwiese
11-01-2005, 12:44 PM
BrassBalls...

http://home.comcast.net/~1911brass/HD_Shotgun.jpg

Nice toy.
What kinda shotty is this - Rem. 1187? 18.5" or 20" bbl??

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Brass Balls
11-01-2005, 3:26 PM
Thanks, it's a Remington 1100 Competition Master. It comes in the box as pictured except without the light. Here's a LINK (http://www.remington.com/NR/exeres/0000169arnfegvfaieeznzvo/RemArms+Rich+Product.asp?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2ffirearms%2fshotguns%2f1100_compet ition_master%2ehtm&NRNODEGUID=%7bFE47651A-91B2-43D6-99A8-B134A1E22C7A%7d&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie%5Ftest=1) for info on Remington's website, although this model was discontinued at the end of '04 you may still be able to find new ones. Check out the video that you can go to from that link, it's pretty impressive.

bwiese
11-01-2005, 3:58 PM
Brassballs,

Thanks, it's a Remington 1100 Competition Master. It comes in the box as pictured except without the light. Here's a LINK (http://www.remington.com/NR/exeres/0000169arnfegvfaieeznzvo/RemArms+Rich+Product.asp?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2ffirearms%2fshotguns%2f1100_compet ition_master%2ehtm&NRNODEGUID=%7bFE47651A-91B2-43D6-99A8-B134A1E22C7A%7d&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie%5Ftest=1) for info on Remington's website, although this model was discontinued at the end of '04 you may still be able to find new ones. Check out the video that you can go to from that link, it's pretty impressive.

Wow, I _love_ this gun. Hmm, gonna have to keep an eye out on GunBroker ;)

22" is perfect length. (I'm looking for a 24" bbl for my Benelli NOVA, closest they have in 12GA).

BTW - do you know if the barrel is chrome lined????

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Brass Balls
11-01-2005, 5:38 PM
I don't know if it is chrome lined. If I had to guess I'd say that it is not because I think if it were it would be mentioned.

It's the softest shooting shotgun I've ever shot magnum buckshot out of, fwiw.

Brass Balls
11-01-2005, 5:45 PM
There is one on Guns America
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976649016.htm

Although they are asking $800 for a "like new" example. You should be able to get a new one for that or possibly even less. Perhaps the seller will be open to a lower offer. I have been successful going that route with another seller if that's worth anything.

Bongos
11-02-2005, 1:33 PM
Mine is an Rem 11-87, 100% reliable whether shooting from shoulder or hip, it will go bang..cycle..bang!!

45user
11-02-2005, 6:59 PM
Mine is good ole 870 modified by Wilson Combat.