PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Forums

alcmaeon
10-26-2005, 4:47 PM
Hey Folks

I was hoping to find a very active California hunting forum. I would like to find out what I can about hunting near the Bay Area. Any reccomendations both on other good forums or on Bay Area deer hunting?

Can you hunt in the Santa Cruz mountains or will a mob of hippys beat on you with birkenstocks?

C.G.
10-26-2005, 4:49 PM
Hey Folks

I was hoping to find a very active California hunting forum. I would like to find out what I can about hunting near the Bay Area. Any reccomendations both on other good forums or on Bay Area deer hunting?

Can you hunt in the Santa Cruz mountains or will a mob of hippys beat on you with birkenstocks?

Scroll down this forum and the links are there.

Rascal
10-26-2005, 5:53 PM
Try Jessies hunting & outdoors website. :)
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/

C.G.
10-26-2005, 8:05 PM
Try Jessies hunting & outdoors website. :)
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/

Yup, that's the one on the bottom of this Forum.:D

wolfsong
10-26-2005, 9:51 PM
Hunting in california should really be called a cardio-vascular workout instead of hunting, what with packing your gear up and down the mountains, not seeing any game. (the snap-crackle-pop of the forest floor announces your presence better than a doberman in your backyard). But, if it's hunting you want, Cally is the place to be. If it's filling a tag that you want, just about any other state is where ya ought to be. Does beat working, though. Just my humble opinion ( and I've been humbled hunting blacktails more than I'd like to admit!). Peace and God bless, Wolfsong

C.G.
10-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Hunting in california should really be called a cario-vascular workout instead of hunting, what with packing your gear up and down the mountains, not seeing any game. (the snap-crackle-pop of the forest floor announces your presence better than a doberman in your backyard). But, if it's hunting you want, Cally is the place to be. If it's filling a tag that you want, just about any other state is where ya ought to be. Does beat working, though. Just my humble opinion ( and I've been humbled hunting blacktails more than I'd like to admit!). Peace and God bless, Wolfsong

Here's how it works: If I don't have my gun, or the game is not in season, I see plenty of game. As soon as I have my gun or it's in season, I do the cardio-vascular work-out you mentioned.

wolfsong
10-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Here's how it works: If I don't have my gun, or the game is not in season, I see plenty of game. As soon as I have my gun or it's in season, I do the cardio-vascular work-out you mentioned.Ain't that the truth! Or you have a tag for bear and there's that 5x5 with a 28 inch spread, or ya have a deer tag, and there's a 300# bear eating on a gut pile! But I've found that if you add one part bear tag to two parts deer tag, with a pinch of upland bird tag, your deer tag stew ain't half bad! Thank God the trout fishing is decent year round! Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

DULLYJAY
10-27-2005, 6:52 AM
That sounds about right! LOL

C.G.
10-27-2005, 4:43 PM
We live in the Santa Cruz mountains, on a ridgeline; nearest house is about 1/2 mile away.

My personal success as Nimrod, the great hunter (when using firearms): About a dozen rattlesnakes or so, and maybe a half dozen mice and rats. You don't need a hunting license for either (and I don't have one).

We see deer every day. A few days ago, I walked out slowly outside in the early evening, and this stupid deer buck (antler was a spike maybe 2" tall) was standing on the blacktop in front of our house, staring me down. I started singing softly and walking towards it, got to about 15 feet from it. It didn't move. I decided that it would be good fun to try scaring it away, and started to imitate a dog and bark. It ran away. It is not at all uncommon to see deer within 30 feet of the house. Getting to within 15 feet of them is rare. I could sit outside for an hour at dawn or dusk, and get a few deer (in particular if I sat on the upstairs balcony, or climbed up in a tree).

On the other hand, why bother? They are so small and thin that it's just not worth it for eating them. Is this right, or are they worth hunting? And I find just killing them for the fun of it to be not a good idea (others might disagree).

Also, is it legal to shoot females and juveniles? Most of the deer we see don't have any antlers, so I don't know whether you are allowed to shoot them.

Now, hunting for coyote, that would be a real sport. We see them every few weeks or months, and hear them every week or two. But you would have to be really good at calling them, or tracking them, to have any chance of hunting them down. Same with bobcats, except they are more rare than coyote. Don't even think of hunting mountain lions (we have seen them very very rarely, twice in the last 8 years), because shooting them is very illegal.

For deer, they need to be horned bucks, no does, juveniles. The reason they may be thin is that there may be too many in your area and can't sustain themselves. For deer and bobcats you need to buy tags.

wolfsong
10-27-2005, 7:03 PM
We live in the Santa Cruz mountains, on a ridgeline; nearest house is about 1/2 mile away.

My personal success as Nimrod, the great hunter (when using firearms): About a dozen rattlesnakes or so, and maybe a half dozen mice and rats. You don't need a hunting license for either (and I don't have one).

We see deer every day. A few days ago, I walked out slowly outside in the early evening, and this stupid deer buck (antler was a spike maybe 2" tall) was standing on the blacktop in front of our house, staring me down. I started singing softly and walking towards it, got to about 15 feet from it. It didn't move. I decided that it would be good fun to try scaring it away, and started to imitate a dog and bark. It ran away. It is not at all uncommon to see deer within 30 feet of the house. Getting to within 15 feet of them is rare. I could sit outside for an hour at dawn or dusk, and get a few deer (in particular if I sat on the upstairs balcony, or climbed up in a tree).

On the other hand, why bother? They are so small and thin that it's just not worth it for eating them. Is this right, or are they worth hunting? And I find just killing them for the fun of it to be not a good idea (others might disagree).

Also, is it legal to shoot females and juveniles? Most of the deer we see don't have any antlers, so I don't know whether you are allowed to shoot them.

Now, hunting for coyote, that would be a real sport. We see them every few weeks or months, and hear them every week or two. But you would have to be really good at calling them, or tracking them, to have any chance of hunting them down. Same with bobcats, except they are more rare than coyote. Don't even think of hunting mountain lions (we have seen them very very rarely, twice in the last 8 years), because shooting them is very illegal.Just because you don't see a mountain lion, doesn't mean they aren't there. It's the ones you don't see that you have to worry about. And you are right, it's highly illegal to shoot them. The ranchers that I know are rumored to practice the 3 S's when encountering lions - shoot, shovel, and shut up. But trust and believe, there are A LOT more lions than the state biologists would have you think. Too damn many of them...Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

wolfsong
10-28-2005, 7:40 AM
If you are referring to mountain lions being perfectly harmless to humans, even to the kids playing outside, you will wind up extremely surprised! The increase in lion attacks on humans is astounding and alarming! Cats require on average a deer-size fresh kill a week and are VERY protective of their kill. Of course, they are finicky like any other feline, and won't eat spoiled meat. Therefore, they kill frequently, and "waste" alot of game. This has a definite impact on the local deer and livestock. And as they become comfortable with their territory, ANYTHING in it is considered dinner, including kids and adults. The fact that a young lion AND a mature lion have been seen on your driveway is a sure sign that they are comfortable there. NOT GOOD! I would take a much more vigilant stance if I were in these circumstances. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

delloro
10-28-2005, 10:46 AM

you need either a hunting or a fishing license to kill a rattlesnake generally

alcmaeon
10-28-2005, 5:56 PM
Hey Treelogger, are your deer skinny or just small-- as in do you see ribs, do they look gaunt etc? I have seen several on Skyline that look good but are small in size. They look huntable to me. I grew up in Michigan and every year I was lucky enough to draw an antlerless tag I went after a smaller doe (In the SW lower of Michigan a small doe would be 100-110lbs ish). I think they taste better, which was my reasoning. Less sausage, more meat. A 100lb deer still produces enough meat for a couple of months of eating -assuming you don't eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day ;)

Rascal
10-31-2005, 1:02 PM
A colleague of my wife's who is an avid hunter in Los Alamos (New Mexico) once came to visit us, and spent some time at the UCSC campus. He was amazed at the deer here, they are so tiny. He said that the largest deer he saw here would be like juvenile does in New Mexico.

He wasn't kidding. Having grown up in New Mexico and hunted the Jemez near Los Alamos, the dear here are definately under nurished and quite small compared to their brethern in NM.

Back to the lions, Yes attacks and killings are not that numerious, but knowing that you do have them around you, do you want to bet your kids lives that it won't try and make a meal out of them? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You don't have to worry about it, but you might want to keep a watchful eye out when the kids are playing. Just my $0.02