PDA

View Full Version : which handgun to get?

theelite127
03-11-2009, 11:50 PM
hi all, i'm new to this, just got my HSC yesterday from Bob @ the Old West Gun Room in El Cerrito!

i have a few questions regarding a good pistol. I want a 45 that shoots acp, since i learned to shoot on my dad's 1911, and we can share ammo.

here are my options:

SA XD45 acp for around $500. my dad swears by SA and he recommends me getting this brand, but he's new to polymer guns.

S&W M&P45 for around $630. Nice gun, changeable backstraps, although a little expensive for my first pistol.

Glock 30 2nd gen. $450. whats there to say but that everyone has/had one.

so which one fellas?

thanks,
Russ

Look Wat I kAn DO !
03-12-2009, 12:29 AM
go try size them up first. See what fits you and what you want out of them.

JDoe
03-12-2009, 7:15 AM
Considering ammo costs are you sure you want a .45? 9 mm is way cheaper.

Greg-Dawg
03-12-2009, 7:30 AM
You'll get some options up to the ying yang. Find a local range that rents and try them out.

Oldnoob
03-12-2009, 9:15 AM
From your pre selection I can tell you are off for a great start. All 3 will be wonderful gun for you. XD is a tap slimmer than others but I personally can't shoot XD well and don't care about the plastic grip safety. S&W M&P are great a bit weird trigger but the ego of grip is awesome and 3 different size back strip are a plus. Glock is my personal pick, though I would try to find sf (short frame) version of it and 3rd gen instead of 2nd. Just personal choice, because I like conversion barrel and some of them only work in 3rd gen frame.

Oldnoob
03-12-2009, 9:18 AM
Uh, just realize you live around Cerrito, there is a indoor range in Brea (OC Indoor) not too far away from you, I believe they have all three guns for rent.

cook2s
03-12-2009, 9:52 AM
Uh, just realize you live around Cerrito, there is a indoor range in Brea (OC Indoor) not too far away from you, I believe they have all three guns for rent.

El Cerrito is up in the bay area.

I personally am a fan of the Glocks. Although all are nice guns and you can't really go wrong with any of them. Find out what fits nicely in your hand and is comfortable. As mentioned before, I would take a look at the SF models of the Glocks as well. May I suggest the 21 or 21SF to add to your list of options. Same as the 30, but larger and you get the benefit of the longer barrel. Especially as your first handgun.

Another note of comparison between the XD and the Glock, especially if you are used to shooting a 1911. The angle of the frame to the barrel of the XD is much more similar to that of the 1911 than the Glock. I have seen that as the deciding factor many times for people between the Glock and the XD.