PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal

mort r
03-11-2009, 6:42 PM
Hello out there , I am moving back to calif. and I was wondering , can I bring my ar's with me. They are not pre-ban. Please if anyone can give me some help that would be nice.
Thanks
Martin

m24armorer
03-11-2009, 6:47 PM
Might want to ask this in the legal or riflemans forum.

Full Clip
03-11-2009, 7:02 PM
Have a list of the makes and models of your rifles.
And read the flow chart: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

mdouglas1980
03-12-2009, 1:25 AM
if they are off list I read on the DOJ website that you can bring "assault weapons" into CA as long as you fill out a form and register it with a fee.
Certainly call the CA DOJ first though because if you get caught with it without it being registered its a felony. For it also says that transportation of an unregistered assault wepon into CA that the DOJ doesn't know about is a BIG no no!
the 2008 dangerous weapons control act:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

taken from the DOJ website:
(2) A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall do one of the following: (A) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2. (B) The person shall cause the assault weapon to be delivered to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, in this state in accordance with Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person. If the licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, is prohibited from delivering the assault weapon to a person pursuant to this paragraph, the dealer shall possess or dispose of the assault weapon as allowed by this chapter.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Librarian
03-12-2009, 11:39 AM
if they are off list I read on the DOJ website that you can bring "assault weapons" into CA as long as you fill out a form and register it with a fee.
Certainly call the CA DOJ first though because if you get caught with it without it being registered its a felony. For it also says that transportation of an unregistered assault wepon into CA that the DOJ doesn't know about is a BIG no no!
the 2008 dangerous weapons control act:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

taken from the DOJ website:
(2) A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall do one of the following: (A) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2. (B) The person shall cause the assault weapon to be delivered to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, in this state in accordance with Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person. If the licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, is prohibited from delivering the assault weapon to a person pursuant to this paragraph, the dealer shall possess or dispose of the assault weapon as allowed by this chapter.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

You CAN'T REGISTER an 'assault weapon' - all registration periods are closed for 'the public' and have been for years.

You CAN'T GET the Assault Weapon permit - the State does not issue them to 'the public'.

Possession of an unregistered aw MAY be a felony (it's a "wobbler", could be felony, could be not) - but importing an aw IS. Penal Code 12280. (a) (1) Any person who, within this state, manufactures or
causes to be manufactured, distributes, transports, or imports into
the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who
gives or lends any assault weapon or any .50 BMG rifle, except as
provided by this chapter, is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction
shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for four, six,
or eight years.

mdouglas1980
03-12-2009, 2:04 PM
Well I guess you didn't read it closely then, this is from the 2008 edition of it. The registration period for residents of CA has been closed for years. It clearly says in the brief" a person moving into the state" and a permit must be issued before you can send it to a FFL in CA and I'm sure wait ten days for it too, yes they most likely will reject the application for the permit, but its a free phone call. plus I forgot to mention that to call the DOJ CA Bureau of Firearms, they also like people moving in from out of state to send in registration forms for they're hand guns too. Then again I'm not a lawyer, I'm just posting what I read on their site. :thumbsup:

Librarian
03-12-2009, 3:47 PM
Well I guess you I didn't read it closely then, this is from the 2008 edition of it. The registration period for residents of CA has been closed for years. It clearly says in the brief" a person moving into the state" and a permit must be issued before you can send it to a FFL in CA and I'm sure wait ten days for it too, yes they most likely will reject the application for the permit, but its a free phone call. plus I forgot to mention that to call the DOJ CA Bureau of Firearms, they also like people moving in from out of state to send in registration forms for they're hand guns too. Then again I'm not a lawyer, I'm just posting what I read on their site. :thumbsup:

Fixed it for you.

If you are under the mistaken impression that CA has any likelihood at all to allow a person moving here to bring in an 'assault weapon' (failing a significant change in the law or an MAWP), you haven't been keeping up.

ETA: This did, however, bring up an interesting question. It's supposed to be possible; how many times did it happen that a permit was issued? I just wrote BOF; maybe they'll answer.

Dr Rockso
03-12-2009, 4:09 PM
Hello out there , I am moving back to calif. and I was wondering , can I bring my ar's with me. They are not pre-ban. Please if anyone can give me some help that would be nice.
Thanks
Martin
As far as bringing your AR-15s, that's a big fat 'it depends'. Certain AR-15 lower receivers are legal, certain ones are not legal. We can best give you advice if you post the make and model as they are stamped on the lower receivers of your rifles (e.g. StagArms STAG-15, Bushmaster XM-15, etc).

If any of your lowers are illegal you may replace it (the lower only) with a legal one. This along with a few other steps should render any AR you own in a CA-legal configuration.

mdouglas1980
03-12-2009, 6:04 PM
Fixed it for you.

If you are under the mistaken impression that CA has any likelihood at all to allow a person moving here to bring in an 'assault weapon' (failing a significant change in the law or an MAWP), you haven't been keeping up.

ETA: This did, however, bring up an interesting question. It's supposed to be possible; how many times did it happen that a permit was issued? I just wrote BOF; maybe they'll answer.

I'll I'm doing is trying to help this guy out, by telling him what the law says and that he can call them and try that's all. no need to get all up tight about it, and yes I keep up just fine. :thumbsup:

domokun
03-12-2009, 6:48 PM
I'll I'm doing is trying to help this guy out, by telling him what the law says and that he can call them and try that's all. no need to get all up tight about it, and yes I keep up just fine. :thumbsup:

Calling the CA DOJ will result in lots of FUD and confusion based on the answers they've been known to give over the phone. It's best to either retain a CA lawyer that's an expert on the subject on CA firearms laws or do their homework and due diligence and fully understand the laws in CA themselves and make a determination with the help of the folks on here as to whether or not their ARs are capable of being brought into CA in a CA compliant configuration or not.

mdouglas1980
03-12-2009, 7:04 PM
Calling the CA DOJ will result in lots of FUD and confusion based on the answers they've been known to give over the phone. It's best to either retain a CA lawyer that's an expert on the subject on CA firearms laws or do their homework and due diligence and fully understand the laws in CA themselves and make a determination with the help of the folks on here as to whether or not their ARs are capable of being brought into CA in a CA compliant configuration or not.

all in all probably a better idea :thumbsup: