PDA

View Full Version : DOJ Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale question

Dave Simpson
10-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Maybe someone can answer this for me. If a gun that's all ready registered to a person living in California and is no longer on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale list, does that mean that it can't be sold or transfered to another person in California?:confused:

Say you have a Kimber TLE, not a TLE Series II, can you sell it or trade it in the state of California? From what I've been told by an FFL dealer, if it doesn't match the wording on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale list it can't be brought into the state. OK, but what if it's all ready here?:mad:

bwiese
10-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Hi Dave...

If you have an 'off-list' handgun (that is not a single-action revolver, which is exempt from 'unsafe gun' laws) it can be transferred to another Californian via "PPT" (private-party transfer) at an FFL dealer. Both buyer/seller parties must be present at dealer for transaction.

However, a gun dealer cannot buy your 'unsafe' gun and resell it to another Californian. This is why you see 'consignment' guns on display at gunstores, and another batch of old guns for "LEO sale" only - this last batch was inventory they had when law became active and they decided to keep and not sell outta state...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Dave Simpson
10-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Thank you Bill!!!!!!!:D

Now I'll be able to sleep at night again.

It's just too bad you can't bring any pre-Series II Kimber's into our wonderful state.:( Or Series 70 Colt's for that matter.:mad:

bwiese
10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Dave -

[quote]It's just too bad you can't bring any pre-Series II Kimber's into our wonderful state. Or Series 70 Colt's for that matter[quote]

Well, the other exception to 'unsafe gun' laws is for people moving into CA. They can bring in their 'unsafe guns' (providing they're not assault weapons).
'Personal handgun importers' have 60 days to register/DROS their guns w/Calif DOJ; $19/gun fee as I recall.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Dave Simpson
10-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Very true Bill. What I guess I my real point was a manufacturer can still be producing a model, but if they change any of the wording in the name of the model it's no longer legal to import into California previous versions.

bwiese
10-27-2005, 5:53 PM
Very true Bill. What I guess I my real point was a manufacturer can still be producing a model, but if they change any of the wording in the name of the model it's no longer legal to import into California previous versions.

Yes - or any other substantive thing, such as barrel length, material (S/S vs blued steel), trigger type (dbl action vs single action), or even hammer style (spur vs rowel on 1911s).

Finish (parkerized vs blued, etc.), sights and grips are allowable variations without recertification. However usu mfgrs bollix it up by giving gun a different name/model#, screwing up the CA approval...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Kruzr
10-27-2005, 9:05 PM
Say you have a Kimber TLE, not a TLE Series II, can you sell it or trade it in the state of California?

The list is meaningless for PPT's.

BTW, if you have a TLE not a TLE II, you have a very rare gun indeed. There were no TLE's before the Series II safety was introduced. All TLE's were and are II's including LAPD's weapons.

Dave Simpson
10-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Kruzr, you are correct. I just picked one model out of the Custom Series II as an example and it had to be the one that there wasn't an early incarnation of.:o

I was trying to buy a Kimber Custom out of state but since it wasn't a Kimber Custom Series II my FFL would not receive it. I guess it's better for the people that have these guns in state because your pretty much able to name your price if someone is looking for one.:(