PDA

View Full Version : Gun Shop Recommendation in San Bernardino/Redlands or Inland Empire

onikage
03-11-2009, 1:12 PM
Hi all! I've been lurking around here for several months now and finally registered up.

I was hoping I could get some recommendations for some decent firearm dealers in the San Bernardino/Redlands areas. If not immediately in those two cities, then how about the rest of the nearby Inland Empire? Obviously pricing, selection, and especially customer service are the major considerations.

I did a search, but mostly found range recommendations and a lot of the store discussions seemed fairly old. I also saw the "Bay Area" vendors sticky, but didn't see one for the IE or SoCal for that matter.

Thanks in advance!

fignuts81
03-11-2009, 1:43 PM
Pro Defensive Firearms is in Redlands, haven't been there though. I usually buy on the internet and transfer through Hewitt A. Smith Co. in Colton. He can get prices and order for you too, but he does not keep anything on hand.

onikage
03-11-2009, 1:55 PM
Pro Defensive Firearms is in Redlands, haven't been there though. I usually buy on the internet and transfer through Hewitt A. Smith Co. in Colton. He can get prices and order for you too, but he does not keep anything on hand.

Hmm that's good to know actually since I pretty much order everything I buy online usually (other hobbies, household goods,etc). I'm only familiar with impactguns.com website and everything there always seems to be out of stock, but priced well.

fignuts81
03-11-2009, 2:09 PM
You should look at Budsgunshop.com too, though their supplies have been rather low lately also.

AJAX22
03-11-2009, 2:12 PM
I'm not looking at a map right now, but isn't CWS (in highland) close to you?

I love those guys.

fignuts81
03-11-2009, 2:51 PM
I believe so, probably 5 or 10 miles north of Redlands.

booga
03-11-2009, 2:53 PM
CenterFire Firearms (http://www.centerfirefirearms.com) in Riverside
91 at the Central Ave exit

Friendly, informative, and willingness to help.

GP3
03-11-2009, 2:55 PM
Cold War Shooters is alright.

onikage
03-11-2009, 3:37 PM
Cold War Shooters is alright.

Yes, Highland is close by. Why are they just "alright" if you don't mind elaborating? I don't want to derail this topic by potentially turning it into a debate so if you wish you could just PM me.

Zion Lion
03-11-2009, 6:05 PM
I was going to purchase my Glock 23 through Magnum shooting range in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I went there on a monday to take my HSC and they had the G23 there. Came back on a thursday and it was gone. I was bummed out. I ended up going to the Glendale Gun show that following sunday and found Ammo Bros out of Cerritos and they had what i wanted. So i ended up getting it through them. Magnum has fair prices for a mom and pop place.

skullydc
03-11-2009, 8:01 PM
Just picked my sweet little Ruger sp101 hammerless today from Big Johns in Yucaipa today. Small shop with a good selection. 15 min E of Redlands, by the time you get up the Blvd. They had a dozen glocks, S&W revolvers and and few M&Ps, a couple of Kimbers and springfields. Lots of long guns and a nice selection of Shotguns. Even picked up a few hundred primers.

skully

tkmech21
03-11-2009, 8:08 PM
Just picked my sweet little Ruger sp101 hammerless today from Big Johns in Yucaipa today. Small shop with a good selection. 15 min E of Redlands, by the time you get up the Blvd. They had a dozen glocks, S&W revolvers and and few M&Ps, a couple of Kimbers and springfields. Lots of long guns and a nice selection of Shotguns. Even picked up a few hundred primers.

skully

Next time your in there ask him to tell you the story of the guy who tried to rob him with a knife. :TFH:

onikage
03-11-2009, 9:59 PM
Next time your in there ask him to tell you the story of the guy who tried to rob him with a knife. :TFH:

Wow, desperate times I suppose to try to rob a gun store with a knife.

hawk1
03-12-2009, 8:26 AM
Annies Get your gun in Corona.

GP3
03-12-2009, 8:47 AM
Cold War Shooters is fine. It's closer to you. Don't expect to make friends.

Had I known about Annie's Get Your Gun in Corona, I would not have gone to Cold War Shooters.

Annie's has 10 times the customer service/friendliness. Which is huge to me.

Zion Lion
03-12-2009, 9:00 AM
Cold War Shooters is fine. It's closer to you. Don't expect to make friends.

Had I known about Annie's Get Your Gun in Corona, I would not have gone to Cold War Shooters.

Annie's has 10 times the customer service/friendliness. Which is huge to me.

CWS has really left a bad taste in your mouth. share your experience

GP3
03-12-2009, 9:08 AM
I might be coming off a little rough. Sorry about that. The transaction went smooth. If you know what you want, and have done your own research they are perfect. At the time of my transaction they were real busy, so one-to-one service was lacking. Can't blame them really.

Zion Lion
03-12-2009, 9:19 AM
No its cool. If you have had a bad experience I want to know so I can avoid going and will purchase else where. CWS is about 5-10 min away from my work. I was going to go yesterday at lunch but I was too lazy haha.

onikage
03-12-2009, 1:23 PM
Same here. If it doesn't make me avoid the store entirely at least I know others have given me fair warning.

RickD6023
03-12-2009, 1:35 PM
Dave's Gun Shop in San Bernardino (Central & Lugo) near the Orange Show Fairgrounds

ke6guj
03-12-2009, 1:44 PM
I don't know how OLL-friendly they are. Heard the owner spouting some major FUD about how the ATF was gonna **** us all because of the fixed mag garbage and how we were trying to circumvent the law.

tkmech21
03-12-2009, 1:57 PM
I don't know how OLL-friendly they are. Heard the owner spouting some major FUD about how the ATF was gonna **** us all because of the fixed mag garbage and how we were trying to circumvent the law.

That guy is about as blunt as you can be, and very monotone, not somewhere you want to go to ask questions, unless you want to feel like a retard for asking.

Danield
03-12-2009, 2:48 PM
I'm in redlands. wanna be BFFs??

Anyway, I've been to Dave's indoor range a few times, they were not friendly at all. I wouldn't buy them from, high prices, lack of service. I've bought 4 guns from Turners in San bernardino, service is usually ok. I've been to CWS a few times..as others have said, sometimes the service is lacking. But it is a tiny shop that gets busy.

Zion Lion
03-12-2009, 3:10 PM
Turners in San Bern. has been empty,on firearms and ammo. I was there on my lunch break last week. I'm still sitting here at work in redlands. Cant wait to get off. haha 50 min left!

Danield
03-12-2009, 3:18 PM
Turners in San Bern. has been empty,on firearms and ammo. I was there on my lunch break last week. I'm still sitting here at work in redlands. Cant wait to get off. haha 50 min left!

I went in there this morning to pick up my 10/22. They did have maybe 4 glocks, which they didn't have 10 days ago. they had some 45 and 44mag ammo

Saigon1965
03-12-2009, 3:30 PM
The place is hilarious - No signage what so ever - Windows are all tinted - The only way you can tell is there are a few mannufacturer's stickers on the corner of a window -

I'm not looking at a map right now, but isn't CWS (in highland) close to you?

I love those guys.

onikage
03-12-2009, 3:53 PM
I'm in redlands. wanna be BFFs??

Anyway, I've been to Dave's indoor range a few times, they were not friendly at all. I wouldn't buy them from, high prices, lack of service. I've bought 4 guns from Turners in San bernardino, service is usually ok. I've been to CWS a few times..as others have said, sometimes the service is lacking. But it is a tiny shop that gets busy.

LOL about the BFF thing. A pity Daves is a no go. I work in SB so it would have been on my way home to Redlands. It always gets me when you have small independent shops with rude owners or employees. You would think they would want to stay ahead of the pack by having excellent service to get customers. These are the same people who complain about the Internet killing their customer base.

onikage
04-08-2009, 10:50 AM
This may be a bit of a necro post, but I'm adding this reply so that future searches can ping the conclusion on this topic.

I ended up using Hewitt A. Smith Company (http://www.hewittsmith.com/) in Colton, CA. He is a small FFL with excellent customer service. I told him what I was looking for and he spent about a week looking for it (Sig Mosquito). Once he found it I was able to purchase it without incident and pick it up after the jail period. His pricing was fair and the small talk was great. So if anyone else is looking for a gun dealer, I highly suggest him. If he can't find what you are looking for then you can buy off gunbroker.com or out of state in general, his FFL Fee is $50 as I recall.

Quiet
04-08-2009, 6:36 PM
[OLL friendly] Bright Spot Pawn (Riverside) is the place to go in the IE. :thumbsup:

[unknown] Centerfire Firearms (Riverside), is a good place. Good customer service, cheaper than Turner's. Haven't been there in over 9 years though, their selection went thin after the 2000 AWB went into effect.

[OLL friendly] Cold War Shooters (Highland) is alright. They got black rifle stuff, if you need it now. Prices tend to be high, but the stuff I've bought from them was priced cheap.

[not OLL friendly] Dave's Indoor Gun & Archery (San Bernardino) is alright. I've never had a problem from them, maybe it's because I knew Dave and my work goes there to qualify. Gotten some deals in their consignment cases. Not sure if they are still a Class III SOT.

[not OLL friendly] Big John's (Yucaipa) is alright. Prices on par with Turner's. They have hard to get stuff (ie. H&K P9S) show up in their consignment cases every now and then.

[OLL friendly] Pro Defensive Firearms (Redlands) is good place. Friendly staff, competitive prices.