PDA

View Full Version : Sad News...at least in my area.

mif_slim
03-11-2009, 8:55 AM
So just about 6 months ago Sportmen Warehouse opened up in Visalia. I was pretty happy about it. Bullet componets were ~2 dollar cheaper then Bass Pro, its closer, had what I needed. I got most of my powder there and basically everything about reloading there.

Well, just yesterday they announced that that store will be closing. Some idiot got on the news and said, "Well, it didnt have alot of use here, I mean it doesnt have anything in it that anyone needs, just hunting and fishing stuff. People need skii, boat rec. ect." WHAT AN *****! Just because he doesnt like fishing/hunting then the store can go away.

Anyways, sad, now Im going to have to resort to Herb or Rod n Gun, which is pretty pricey. 35.99 for RCBS Dies at SW, Herbs same die goes for 49.95. Tumble Media goes for 14.99 at SW, Herbs going for 21.99!

Beelzy
03-11-2009, 9:31 AM
Support your other LOCAL shops before they are gone as well.

Try Mayfield Firearms in Fresno. ;)

mif_slim
03-11-2009, 9:44 AM
I bought my Sig, 2x M44, MkIII 45 and when they use to sell reloading stuff, thats where I bought them, but now, their going towards just firearms.

paintballergb
03-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Yeah here in Fresno it sucks because the only shop with a decent amount of merchandise is Herbs but they are over priced and rude. I always try Mayfields first for one big reason, they are nice guys(and gal). If they don't have anything they will recommend another store where you might find it. Just the other day I showed up at 4 on Saturday which I quickly found was Mayfields closing time. The owner was locking the door but he asked what I needed and I told him I was just browsing and he said "come on in", good guy :thumbsup:.I only ever went to Mccormicks once but they were good guys too just further from my house than Mayfields.

JeffM
03-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Crap, I really need to use my SW giftcard I got for Christmas then.

Gunaria
03-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Buy what you need off the internet.

Read this thread;

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=161305

Seesm
03-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Support locally... I bought some bullets locally 1000 rds or .223 and while I was buying there was a guy buying a old M1 saying go online you can find it cheaper... I said "These guys have been here for 30 some years how much longer if we keep going online"? Funny thing is I checked prices prior to buying and they were like 2 cents cheap per round at that point...(local shop)

They had just gone up as they were a few per cheaper the week before. So I miss the lowest local prices, but I think I just missed a price hike cuz at home I peeked online and the prices went up even more soon after, so I suspect the local shop is up too now... Support local as much as you can.. (no shipping that way)

There is also a black rifle shop near me and I check some prices and they are about what I can find online but I am willing to pay a few buck more to keep them fighting the good fight... Maybe it's just me a few but it needs to be us all....

fusionstar
03-11-2009, 10:12 AM
you can support your local mom and pop shops all you want, when pop is addicted to crack and mom is a chronic gambler, there ain't nothing saving that store. Don't ask me how I know lol.

Beelzy
03-11-2009, 10:15 AM
you can support your local mom and pop shops all you want, when pop is addicted to crack and mom is a chronic gambler, there ain't nothing saving that store. Don't ask me how I know lol.

What Gun Shop do you haunt?? :eek:

mif_slim
03-11-2009, 11:19 AM
I had Mayfield order my some Winchester 55gr 224 PSP, cost came out to be $10.74 per 100. To me, thats much cheaper then online. Right now, I dont think they can find those anymore though...I wish I should of ordered more though!

I had them order me some Lee components too, it came out a few dollars cheaper then Lee website. I think Mayfield is a superb shop. Im going to support them as much as possible, just that they kind of stoped on stocking reloading components, which is what I need more then guns n gears right now.

paintballergb
03-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I had Mayfield order my some Winchester 55gr 224 PSP, cost came out to be $10.74 per 100. To me, thats much cheaper then online. Right now, I dont think they can find those anymore though...I wish I should of ordered more though!

I had them order me some Lee components too, it came out a few dollars cheaper then Lee website. I think Mayfield is a superb shop. Im going to support them as much as possible, just that they kind of stoped on stocking reloading components, which is what I need more then guns n gears right now.

I have never asked them to order me something. Usually I will just get it online. They are pretty willing to order something for you?

Beelzy
03-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Mayfield Firearms was the ONLY FFL in my area that would even touch my
order for a Belt-Fed 1919a4.

They ROCK!! :cool2:

USN CHIEF
03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Yes my Fellow Cal gunners. Please support your local Gun Shops. It is getting very hard for me to find great deals online. Please support your local shops. LOL.

Warhawk014
03-11-2009, 12:36 PM
if they dont have it, they will try to get it for you. and they are really good guys. i bought all my guns from them. and when they dont have the gun i want they order it right there. plus they have a 100% satisfaction guarenty, if you buy a gun from them and within 30 days of the purchase, for some reason you do not like the gun, they let you trade the gun in for something else that you like. you get the full dollar amount of the purchase minus the dross fees towards another gun of your choice. although it has to be new and not a ppt, or consignment. i think thats kool because if you get a gun thats just not working out for you. your not stuck trying to sell it for alot less than what you got it for. to me that goes a long way in customer satisfaction. i dont think i have heard of any other shop giving you a full credit like that or even willing to take back the gun that you have been shooting for 2 weeks and still give you full purchase price

Beelzy
03-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Yes my Fellow Cal gunners. Please support your local Gun Shops. It is getting very hard for me to find great deals online. Please support your local shops. LOL.

Yup, especially when the Internet Ammo/Supply Snipe is around. :p

MrSlippyFist
03-11-2009, 1:09 PM
Clovis Rod and Gun is a great store. Not always the cheapest, but good folks and always had great info on hunting/fishing.

mif_slim
03-11-2009, 1:10 PM
they will try to get it if they can. they havent turn me down yet for asking to order for me. as for good, their the best shop i know of. i traded my browning and got full price at 350. before i went to herb, they wanted 9o bucks! screw that!

GoatLovin
03-11-2009, 2:17 PM
Anyone know if the Rocklin store is safe? http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/company.cfm

It's not on either list.

mif_slim
03-11-2009, 2:21 PM
Anyone know if the Rocklin store is safe? http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/company.cfm It's not on either list. i hope so, i have a home there and i visit it everytime i go up.

mcsoupman
03-11-2009, 7:45 PM
Sad to hear about that in Visalia. Like others I visit Mayfields often. Bought my PT99 and my Shotgun there, both used. They have always been friendly, just super busy the last few months. Always 5 or more guys in there when I go.

I also really like the Gun Shop in Clovis by Brecco Enterprises on Tollhouse. Great guy. Smaller shop but he took his time and chatted with me. I bought my Trailside from him. If you are coming all the way up here you might just give him a visit.

VegasND
03-11-2009, 7:48 PM
I heard there's a total of 28 stores closing. Both Sportsman's Warehouse stores in Vegas are closing too.

cheese
03-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Mayfield Firearms was the ONLY FFL in my area that would even touch my
order for a Belt-Fed 1919a4.

They ROCK!! :cool2:

I just came from Mayfield and they had NO guns for sale. They said something about a problem with the state concerning money and they arent allowed to do background checks