PDA

View Full Version : first handgun recomendations?

Travis8128
03-10-2009, 9:04 PM
so im looking into buying my first handgun.

i dont know exactly which brand i want but im liking the springfield 1911's or the full size Beretta.

but basically all i want is a .45acp or 9mm full size handgun that is silver with wood grips(or fake wood as long as it looks good)

preferably on the cheaper side.

any suggestions?

West coast
03-10-2009, 9:31 PM
9mm Glock17, or any 1911 but you will spent more money on the 1911.

GrizzAwoken
03-10-2009, 9:33 PM
Very good thread about the same topic that is extremely reccent (yesterday.)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=160279

-Grizz

paintballergb
03-10-2009, 9:35 PM
Buy the highest caliber and that way every handgun afterword will be child's play ;)

Travis8128
03-10-2009, 9:36 PM
Buy the highest caliber and that way every handgun afterword will be child's play ;)

50ae isnt my style lol.

Travis8128
03-10-2009, 9:37 PM
50ae isnt my style lol.

those guys are just trying to compensate for something else.:D

GTR645
03-10-2009, 9:37 PM
If you're going the economic route, then a polymer handgun in 9mm is a good bet. Check out Glock 17/19, Springfield Armory XD, and Smith&Wesson M&P. If you don't mind getting used guns, see if you can get a SIG P226 or P229: heavier guns at a bit higher price. You can also get a CZ-75 model, which has a lot of bang for the buck; they come in many variations so you'll probably find something that will fit your hand well.

I noticed you wanted a "silver" gun, but do you want all silver or two-tone? If all silver, then you should probably go with a Springfield Armory 1911.

paintballergb
03-10-2009, 9:39 PM
50ae isnt my style lol.

You say this would be your first handgun purchase but what's your past shooting experience. (to gauge your experience as to what would better suit you)

CenterX
03-10-2009, 9:40 PM
Save a little more - take a few months if needed and get a Colt Gold Cup, Kimber, Wilson, Dan Wesson, Les Baer - and also get a .22LR conversion kit.

Practice with the .22LR until you get real good and then go to the 45ACP.

Or get a Sig 9mm - P226 or P228 or P229.

But most of all get what you want and fits your hands. Both of them. Trade off Weak and Strong.

BamBam-31
03-10-2009, 9:42 PM
A good new 1911 is not "on the cheaper side." Either look for a gently used one, or pony up around $800 for a decent new Kimber/Springfield/S&W.

Also, a 9mm is better than a .45 for a first handgun simply because there's less recoil w/ a 9mm, and 9mm is cheaper to buy. Given your two choices, a stainless Beretta is probably the better choice.

I would shoot as many different pistols as I could, however, if I were you. Try the aforementioned Glock. Try a CZ 75b. Try an XD, M&P, Browning Hipower, Sig 226. You'll find they all have slightly different handling characteristics, all of which are FAR more important than having "silver with wood grips."

Eroland7
03-10-2009, 9:44 PM
I would get a glock for my first handgun. Sure dependable, really easy to clean and take down, great first handgun. Just my opinion. My first gun was a glock 23.

eccvets
03-10-2009, 9:46 PM
454casulle

CSACANNONEER
03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
A good .22lr is by far the best first handgun purchase. You can shoot all day for less than 50 rounds of center fire ammo costs! Trigger time is the key to getting better and a .22lr is the key to more trigger time. With all the money you'll save practicing with a .22lr, you'l be able to afford a couple high end centerfire pistols in no time.

Travis8128
03-10-2009, 10:16 PM
A good .22lr is by far the best first handgun purchase. You can shoot all day for less than 50 rounds of center fire ammo costs! Trigger time is the key to getting better and a .22lr is the key to more trigger time. With all the money you'll save practicing with a .22lr, you'l be able to afford a couple high end centerfire pistols in no time.

eh. i want to step up into bigger calibers.

Travis8128
03-10-2009, 10:20 PM
You say this would be your first handgun purchase but what's your past shooting experience. (to gauge your experience as to what would better suit you)

i have shot numerous .40's, .357 magnums, 9mm's , .380's , .45acp and many more.

i have been shooting since i was 8 years old and started out with a 12guage shotgun with slugs lol!(got a nice and bruised shoulder on that day)

i am 15 almost 16 now and have gone atleast twice every other week to the range since i was nine.

so for my age i know my way around guns.

edit: please dont thread crap saying it is illegal for me to buy guns.

wildhawker
03-10-2009, 10:31 PM

Yes, and while we're dispensing poor advice make sure you seek no training and learn every improper and unsafe gun handling technique while you're at it.

Start with instruction and range rentals or shoot with friends (or maybe a kindly Calgunner); don't pick up a flinch by shooting too much gun too early- learn fundamentals so you know what you're doing when you begin shooting larger and more powerful calibers.

For starting out in 9mm, the CZ SP-01 (and CZ 75s) are hard to beat. Accurate and reliable out of the box. If you already have the basics down and your experience says you're comfortable and proficient with a .45, you may want to try 1911's or a Sig P220.

BamBam-31
03-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Question: So is Daddy buying this handgun for you now, or are you simply looking 5+ years ahead to your own first handgun purchase?

I think it's a safe bet that you'll be doing some growing in that five year span. What may feel like a fat oversized grip now may be just perfect in five years time.

paintballergb
03-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Yes, and while we're dispensing poor advice make sure you seek no training and learn every improper and unsafe gun handling technique while you're at it.

I was a joke. Notice the smiley thing?

i have shot numerous .40's, .357 magnums, 9mm's , .380's , .45acp and many more.

i have been shooting since i was 8 years old and started out with a 12guage shotgun with slugs lol!(got a nice and bruised shoulder on that day)

i am 15 almost 16 now and have gone atleast twice every other week to the range since i was nine.

so for my age i know my way around guns.

edit: please dont thread crap saying it is illegal for me to buy guns.

Well it seems like either could work for you but if I were you I would get a 9mm. Really easy to shoot and control but here is the biggest reason AMMO. Ammo for a 9mm is so much cheaper that a .45. I think you mentioned a beretta 92 in your first post, thats a good choice.

On a side not. I gave my dad money to buy me a handgun when I was a minor and just put it in my name when I turned 21.

Travis8128
03-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Question: So is Daddy buying this handgun for you now, or are you simply looking 5+ years ahead to your own first handgun purchase?

I think it's a safe bet that you'll be doing some growing in that five year span. What may feel like a fat oversized grip now may be just perfect in five years time.

"daddy" wants a handgun to.

but he values my opinion when it comes to firearms because of the knowledge i have obtained over the very few years i have been into the hobby/addiction of shooting along with you great guys on calguns :)

Gp100
03-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Don't get a ruger pistol,don't get me wrong ruger pistols are built strong very reliable but the accuracy is only ok.

Ruger revolvers are a different story there revolvers are very accurate and tough as nails.

Travis8128
03-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Well it seems like either could work for you but if I were you I would get a 9mm. Really easy to shoot and control but here is the biggest reason AMMO. Ammo for a 9mm is so much cheaper that a .45. I think you mentioned a beretta 92 in your first post, thats a good choice.

On a side not. I gave my dad money to buy me a handgun when I was a minor and just put it in my name when I turned 21.

cheapness of ammo is really a BIG deal. emphasis on big.

because even though i shoot ONLY with my dad or other trusted adults i have to earn the money to pay for the guns, ammo, and range fees on my own.

i guess you could say its my dad's way of showing me that i have to work my *** off to get what i want.

now me being so young i cant say thats been the easiest thing to do, but im a hardworking kid that knows how to get his hands on money when he needs it.

1lostinspace
03-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Get an UZI and hold it sideways

Travis8128
03-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Get an UZI and hold it sideways

chea holmes along with my mac10 essay!

killin those haterz essay.

now that thats over with if you dont have a reply that would actually benefit this thread in a positive way please leave.

BamBam-31
03-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Then I would really, REALLY look hard at CZ 75b variants. Best bang for your buck 9mm. ;)

Travis8128
03-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Then I would really, REALLY look hard at CZ 75b variants. Best bang for your buck 9mm. ;)

currently hopping on gunbroker to check them out.

now all i have to do is find the price on there and subtract about 100 dollars because of all the rip offs haha.

paintballergb
03-10-2009, 11:06 PM
cheapness of ammo is really a BIG deal. emphasis on big.

because even though i shoot ONLY with my dad or other trusted adults i have to earn the money to pay for the guns, ammo, and range fees on my own.

i guess you could say its my dad's way of showing me that i have to work my *** off to get what i want.

now me being so young i cant say thats been the easiest thing to do, but im a hardworking kid that knows how to get his hands on money when he needs it.

Yeah then 9mm sounds like it would better suit you. Check out this site. Might help.

http://www.best9mm.com/

Travis8128
03-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah then 9mm sounds like it would better suit you. Check out this site. Might help.

http://www.best9mm.com/

thanks for that link!

currently bookmarked.

thanks guys for the majority of mature replys!