PDA

View Full Version : Looking for range advice

Haplo
03-09-2009, 6:52 PM
Hi, I've never been to Angeles before and I was just wondering what to bring, and what if any kind of targets they sell there or rental of target stands, etc? I'm planning on bringing my AR-15 and AR-10 along with my pistols. Planning on zeroing in a new optic and see how far out the AR10 in .308 will go.

I'll probably be going either this weekend or next. I just don't get out to rifle ranges much because I get my shooting fix from driving 10mins away to a local indoor range.
Thanks

Hans Gruber
03-09-2009, 7:30 PM
I would suggest at least a towel or mat to lay over the concrete bench or else you'll get yourself a case of "Bench Elbow" like I have after my last outing where I forgot mine :) They rent target stands for a refundable $4 which you get back after you return it undamaged. They have expensive targets for sale so I like to print my own at http://www.targetz.com A stapler is very nice to have for attaching said targets to the cardboard stand mount surface.

Umm... cash for the hot dog cart!

Don't expect to shoot past 100 yards for groups as you can only set up targets up to 100 yards on days other than Monday and Thursday (then you can go out to 300). There is steel out to 700 yards though. I have issues figuring out hits that far as the shooter so bringing a buddy with a spotting scope or binoculars will be very helpful.

That's all I've got for now, hope you find it helpful! Have fun! Hopefully I'll be able to drag the wife up there this weekend too.

[ETA: Good ear protection especially on the weekends on the rifle benches. I double up with plugs and muffs personally. ]

Haplo
03-09-2009, 8:16 PM
Great, thanks for the info. I do have bulk paper targets I use for pistols, so I'm good there, I just don't have any stands so it's good you can rent them. Bummer about the 100yd limit though. I'll have a spotter for the steel, so that'll be fun.

How's the pistol range there?

Hans Gruber
03-09-2009, 8:52 PM
Great, thanks for the info. I do have bulk paper targets I use for pistols, so I'm good there, I just don't have any stands so it's good you can rent them. Bummer about the 100yd limit though. I'll have a spotter for the steel, so that'll be fun.

How's the pistol range there?

Pistol range is good but usually pretty crowded with no defined lanes. Everyone just squeezes in where they can on the weekend and lots of brass flies. They have steel swingers and an area where you can set up paper targets.

Greg-Dawg
03-09-2009, 9:30 PM
I'll probably be going either this weekend or next. Thanks

Try your best to go on a week day if you can.