PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA

drdl
10-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Hi guys,

I have a friend who's moving to CA from IL. He has a couple of handguns which are not on the CA DOJ list. Can he bring them into CA? if he's allowed to bring them, what does he need to do - bring them to a local gun shop and DROS them?

Thanks!

Mute
10-24-2005, 7:38 AM
I can't think of any handguns that are actually banned, so chances are he can bring them in. Exceptions would be something like the Walther P22s that needed to be retrofitted to no longer be considered AWs. One other thing which you might want to check with the DOJ on: Hi-cap (standard) magazines. I'm not sure if he can bring those in along with the guns they belong with.

Mael
10-24-2005, 7:53 AM
The basic rule of thumb is no Hi-Cap magazines or handguns with threaded barrels. There are a few other no-no's like full-auto pistols, but that covers the basics.

dwtt
10-24-2005, 8:10 PM
Please tell your friend to buy as many handguns not on the CA approved list as he can afford and bring them into the state. As long as they are not classified as AW, he's completely legal. Once he's here, he can't buy these handguns and it would be a shame for him to miss his chance to stock up. If it turns out later he doesn't like some of the guns he bought, he can sell them through private party transfer, and we would all benefit. Any chance your friend can get a CZ40P before he moves here? Is he moving to the SF bay area? Just wondering.;)

NYC2SoCal
10-24-2005, 8:28 PM
I can't think of any handguns that are actually banned, so chances are he can bring them in....

Lots of handguns fall under the assault weapon category in CA when compared to the free states:

Obvious:
HK Mark23
HK Tactical
Glock 18

Then theres the CA allowed guns in the free world that can fall into the aw catagory:
Glock 17
Sig 226
USP 9
Berreta 92
yada yada yada..

Pretty much all 9mm semi autos in the free world have mags above 10 rounds.

Now thinking back.. The glock 17 holds 17 rounds... Man, our 10 limit ban really sucks. :mad:

Inoxmark
10-24-2005, 8:41 PM
All of the handguns below are named assault weapons that cannot be brought in:(b) All of the following specified pistols:
(1) UZI.
(2) Encom MP-9 and MP-45.
(3) The following MAC types:
(A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11.
(B) SWD Incorporated M-11.
(C) Advance Armament Inc. M-11.
(D) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11.
(4) Intratec TEC-9.
(5) Sites Spectre.
(6) Sterling MK-7.
(7) Calico M-950.
(8) Bushmaster Pistol.

CalExile
02-15-2006, 5:14 AM
I am reviewing Cal gun laws pending a potential move into the state. Many restrictions to ponder. Any other ideas on what a gun hobbyist would start to wish for after being in Cal for a while? I don't want to miss out on something obvious that I should get now before heading that way.

DV8
02-15-2006, 5:28 AM
I am reviewing Cal gun laws pending a potential move into the state. Many restrictions to ponder. Any other ideas on what a gun hobbyist would start to wish for after being in Cal for a while? I don't want to miss out on something obvious that I should get now before heading that way.

Maybe you should do a poll and see what other members think. If your friend plays his cards right, he could make a nice chunk of change out of this.

As for the MK23, I think Jarvis makes thread protectors that he can solder onto the barrel so the threads dont need to be cut. Might be cheaper than a new barrel...

TonyM
02-15-2006, 7:26 AM
Hi guys,

I have a friend who's moving to CA from IL. He has a couple of handguns which are not on the CA DOJ list. Can he bring them into CA? if he's allowed to bring them, what does he need to do - bring them to a local gun shop and DROS them?

Thanks!

Tell your friend to get a couple stainless Caspian receivers and when he gets here I'll gladly buy them. ;)

Ironballs
02-15-2006, 8:32 AM
tell your buddy to buy a p3at where he is, pay the $20 fee to bring it here/reg it here, and i buy from him and make it worth his time... =)

shopkeep
02-15-2006, 8:51 AM

Although many gun owners here will question your sanity completely for moving from VA to CA, I appreciate having more people from red states move here to increase our numbers. OK first of all I have to be honest about being a gun owner in CA:

ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER!!!

Ok now that we're through that, here's what you need to do:

#1 Buy AS MANY HANDGUNS AS YOU CAN THAT ARE NOT ON THE APPROVED ROSTER!!! All these handguns can be registered when you move and are worth 200% - 300% of their value in the free states here.

#2 If the off-list AR and AK recievers aren't banned when you move be sure to pick up some off-list recievers while you're still a VA resident so you can build them up into rifles here. Right now off-list cali-legal AR-15 builds need to have the mag pinned, but in there future there is the possiblity they could be configured into detachable mag configs once registered as Assault Weapons.

#3 BE SURE you DO NOT bring any 11+ round magazines into the state. Possessing "high capacity" magazines (I always thought 30 rounds was standard cap doh) is a felony here and if you get caught you'll never be able to own a gun for the rest of your life.

#4 BE SURE you check CCW policies of the sheriff's department of the county you move to. You may want to visit www.packing.org and plan your move accordingly. Some counties DO NOT issue CCWs.

#5 Get involved with the RKBA initiative and contact the resistance movement in your area heh :D!

Seriously though, California has an awesome variety of things to do, places to go, and incredible weather to go with it all! It really is a beautiful state and it used to be a really cool place to be a gun owner too! And with enough hard work it will be again.

CalExile
02-15-2006, 2:12 PM
tell your buddy to buy a p3at where he is, pay the $20 fee to bring it here/reg it here, and i buy from him and make it worth his time... =)

I have a P32 and like that allot. After some polishing it is a good little shooter.

CalExile
02-15-2006, 2:19 PM
Although many gun owners here will question your sanity completely for moving from VA to CA, I appreciate having more people from red states move here to increase our numbers. OK first of all I have to be honest about being a gun owner in CA:

ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER!!!

Ok now that we're through that, here's what you need to do:

#1 Buy AS MANY HANDGUNS AS YOU CAN THAT ARE NOT ON THE APPROVED ROSTER!!! All these handguns can be registered when you move and are worth 200% - 300% of their value in the free states here.

#2 If the off-list AR and AK recievers aren't banned when you move be sure to pick up some off-list recievers while you're still a VA resident so you can build them up into rifles here. Right now off-list cali-legal AR-15 builds need to have the mag pinned, but in there future there is the possiblity they could be configured into detachable mag configs once registered as Assault Weapons.

#3 BE SURE you DO NOT bring any 11+ round magazines into the state. Possessing "high capacity" magazines (I always thought 30 rounds was standard cap doh) is a felony here and if you get caught you'll never be able to own a gun for the rest of your life.

#4 BE SURE you check CCW policies of the sheriff's department of the county you move to. You may want to visit www.packing.org and plan your move accordingly. Some counties DO NOT issue CCWs.

#5 Get involved with the RKBA initiative and contact the resistance movement in your area heh :D!

Seriously though, California has an awesome variety of things to do, places to go, and incredible weather to go with it all! It really is a beautiful state and it used to be a really cool place to be a gun owner too! And with enough hard work it will be again.

Thanks for the info. I am working a thorough scrub of my inventory, and making lists of everything that has to go... I guess MG42/MG34/1919 in semi auto are out of the question? What about WWII sub guns in semi-auto? I haven't found any references to semi-auto belt feds. This site has a considerably different tone from my usual site, weaponeer.net.

CalExile
02-15-2006, 3:00 PM
If moving into Cal, does a Bushmaster lower get the same free pass as a non-listed handgun? Like the federal assault weapons ban, whenever libs start trying to write gun laws they hose it up. Their ultimate goal is a total gun ban, it is just annoyinw how they work it in bits and pieces. They try to act like their is actually a legitimate reason for the restrictions, when in reality they are a smokescreen. I will follow the laws but I don't have to like them.

Jeff Rambo
02-15-2006, 3:13 PM
No, you must check it at the door if you are moving here on your own free will.

grammaton76
02-15-2006, 3:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I am working a thorough scrub of my inventory, and making lists of everything that has to go... I guess MG42/MG34/1919 in semi auto are out of the question? What about WWII sub guns in semi-auto? I haven't found any references to semi-auto belt feds.

The sub guns are most likely out of the question.

However, the 1919 I know is legal, or at least can be legally configured. But make sure that you don't bring any more than 10 rounds linked together at a time for it, that'd be "importation of a high-capacity magazine".

I would think that perhaps you may get a little better luck with the C&R items, especially if you have a license, than you would with anything that's not C&R.

02-15-2006, 6:00 PM
Bring a few more of those P32's with you and I'll guarantee a sale!

CalExile
02-15-2006, 8:30 PM
It looks like any Kel Tec pistol, Caspian stainless 1911 frames, and HK Mk23 without threaded barrel are the winners.

1911_Mitch
02-16-2006, 9:27 PM
Kel Tec P3AT

I'll take one, Private Party Transfer, it'll earn you an extra hundred bucks for your trouble.

ohsmily
02-16-2006, 9:43 PM
It looks like any Kel Tec pistol, Caspian stainless 1911 frames, and HK Mk23 without threaded barrel are the winners.

Not too many people have the cash to go around buying a bunch of MK23 SOCOMS for 2000 a piece. Stripped hi cap 1911 or single stack 1911 frames (with long and standard dustcovers) are an inexpensive way to stock up on some items and then resell them at AT LEAST double the price here in CA (maybe closer to triple).

my .02

P.S. His real "intention" for buying all these guns should be for his personal use and not to import for the purpose of sale...but that isn't a big deal, just something to think about.

shopkeep
02-16-2006, 9:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I am working a thorough scrub of my inventory, and making lists of everything that has to go... I guess MG42/MG34/1919 in semi auto are out of the question? What about WWII sub guns in semi-auto? I haven't found any references to semi-auto belt feds. This site has a considerably different tone from my usual site, weaponeer.net.

1919 is Cali-Legal. Some members of the forums have very beautiful 1919s they built in Cali. The rest of your collection will have to stay behind though. Given the size of your collection I would seriously consider applying for an Assault Weapons permit on the basis that you are a C&R "Assault Weapon" collector. There's a 99.9% chance you'll get denied but hey it's still worth a try!

CalExile
02-17-2006, 5:03 AM
1919 is Cali-Legal. Some members of the forums have very beautiful 1919s they built in Cali. The rest of your collection will have to stay behind though. Given the size of your collection I would seriously consider applying for an Assault Weapons permit on the basis that you are a C&R "Assault Weapon" collector. There's a 99.9% chance you'll get denied but hey it's still worth a try!

I am going to look into that. I started placing for sale ads last night, but can't even visualize handing a Bren Mk II to a stranger. My wife would be easier to hand over.

CalExile
02-17-2006, 5:08 AM
Not too many people have the cash to go around buying a bunch of MK23 SOCOMS for 2000 a piece. Stripped hi cap 1911 or single stack 1911 frames (with long and standard dustcovers) are an inexpensive way to stock up on some items and then resell them at AT LEAST double the price here in CA (maybe closer to triple).

my .02

P.S. His real "intention" for buying all these guns should be for his personal use and not to import for the purpose of sale...but that isn't a big deal, just something to think about.

I agree. My concern is that like most others, I want what I can't have. I have a Mk23/P32 in the safe right now but might pick up another 23 and at least one of each Kel Tec for the future.

Another topic I am getting smart on is the "off-list" AR lower fiasco. I haven't ever heard of anything so ridiculous. What are the good "off-list" lowers to buy? Also, my move to SOCAL should be around Dec 06. Will the window be closed for me to bring in "off-list" lowers?