PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle transport?

yossarian
03-09-2009, 6:18 PM
My motorcycle is my main form of transport. I've always taken the cage to the range because of rifles, but the recent acquisition of a handgun has me thinking about taking my bike instead. Am I correct in thinking that if the gun was carried unloaded in a locked container I could carry said locked container in a backpack? Is open carry an option while riding, provided school and govt building distance requirements are met? I've tried reading through the penal code but it gets confusing when applied to bikes because it speaks of a vehicle as an enclosed thing.

Anyway, any experience or recommendations here would be appreciated.

ZRX61
03-09-2009, 6:22 PM
I can get 3 or 4 handguns under the seat of my bike.. & the seat lock makes it a *locked container*

smokingloon
03-09-2009, 6:23 PM
I just put my handgun in a soft case secured with a lock. Then I place it in my backpack.

Captain Evilstomper
03-09-2009, 6:25 PM
technically you could open carry it

xtalpimp
03-09-2009, 6:31 PM
I rode down 880 from ye olde traders with benelli M3 straped to my back in a soft case with the zippers locked. Rode by one local PD and one CHP that did not pull me over. That was before 9/11 though

rivviepop
03-09-2009, 6:54 PM
I don't mean at all to be rude, but please search both the Handguns and Legal sub-forums, this question comes up a lot and has been answered a number of times. All the information you need is readily available on the site with a simple "motorcycle" search in those two areas - a lot of us ride and have already offered all of our solutions for you. :)

B Strong
03-09-2009, 6:55 PM
Locked case in the backpack or tankbag, you're good to go.

alexander
03-09-2009, 7:59 PM
Locked case in the backpack or tankbag, you're good to go.

Only if you think you can defend a backpack as being 'within' the motorvehicle, when you're on the back of the bike. I wouldn't be able to say that with a straight face, so I put it under my seat.

Everyone should talk to a lawyer before taking any gun advice from this board.

smittty
03-09-2009, 9:24 PM
Back pack with a zipper lock = trunk.

chuck762
03-09-2009, 9:54 PM
Only if you think you can defend a backpack as being 'within' the motorvehicle, when you're on the back of the bike. I wouldn't be able to say that with a straight face, so I put it under my seat.

How is a locked back pack any different than carrying a locked gun rug in the back of an SUV?

When I used to ride to the range I used a tank bag with a lock on it. I don't like backpacks due to it adding to a possible injury show joe cell phone hit you on your bike.

alexander
03-09-2009, 11:17 PM
How is a locked back pack any different than carrying a locked gun rug in the back of an SUV?

Because you're only protected by 12026.1 when the firearm is 'within a motor vehicle'. I've never been 'within' my motorcycle, as far as I can tell. I'm always riding on top of it.

(a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit ... transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that
the following applies to the firearm:
(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the
vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than
the utility or glove compartment.

smokingloon
03-10-2009, 1:14 AM
Because you're only protected by 12025 when the firearm is 'within a motor vehicle'. I've never been 'within' my motorcycle, as far as I can tell. I'm always riding on top of it.

you should try it. it is very exhilarating.

B Strong
03-10-2009, 4:07 PM

I've been carrying handguns on bikes for over 30 years, I shoot with a couple of LEO's that also ride, and we all carry our guns to the range as I described.

You're on a bike, not in it. The piece being secured in a locked case satisfies the law.

Backpack, tankbag, saddlebags, you're OK as long as the piece is in a locked case.

alexander
03-10-2009, 4:23 PM
You're on a bike, not in it. The piece being secured in a locked case satisfies the law.

That's my exact point. My read of 12026.1 is that it only protects you if the locked weapon is 'within' the motorvehicle. I'm glad your method works for you, I feel that it's a grey enough area that I don't do it the same way. :TFH:

Vectrexer
03-10-2009, 6:42 PM
The Remington 700 has been strapped across my back several times going from Pacifica (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Pacifica,+CA&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=EBW3ScWvGJqqtQPwo8m5Dw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=image)to Coyote Point Rifle range. (http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=1601+Coyote+Point+Dr,+San+Mateo,+CA%E2%80%8E&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&cid=0,0,1871490831551593011&ei=SBW3ScXnPIKOsQPVjMGaDw&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image)(Near San Mateo) This trip includes transit on HWY 280 and HWY 101. So far no problems. I do carry the magazines and ammo separated from the rifle itself.

As for pistol carry I have made hundreds of trips using the hard bags on the Honda ST1000. Now those bags do lock so there is not much issue, if any. I would say a locked case inside soft bags or a backpack should do just as well. I'm sure any LEO who would actually stop you could tell right away your intent was to safely transport the firearms. Just remember to keep the firearms unloaded, even when inside the locked case.

And don't draw more attention that you absolutely have to. Going 80 MPH down the highway with rifle strapped on is sure to cause concern about any visible (or known) firearms. Even after the ticket has been issued.