PDA

View Full Version : Sand bags

Dark&Good
03-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi,
Just how good is sand in catching bullets? Do you guys have any data about penetration in sand?

cribbage
03-09-2009, 10:37 AM
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot7.htm

ayayaybangbang
03-09-2009, 10:38 AM
delete

shmeare
03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
neat!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot7.htm

JDoe
03-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Outstanding! Now does anyone know the R value of sand in exterior walls? :D

Gunaria
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Outstanding! Now does anyone know the R value of sand in exterior walls? :D

I'm guessing 12??? It should make a great sound barrier after all sand is just SiO2.

timdps
03-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm guessing 12??? It should make a great sound barrier after all sand is just SiO2.

I think you would need to beef up the walls a bit to take care of the weight of the sand. Also he was using 2x6s not 2x4s, so there was 5.5" of sand instead of 3.5" of sand as there would be in normal house construction. Would have been more interesting if he had used 2x4s. Not that someone could not add a a sand filled 2x6 "sill", say three feet high all the way around the interior of a house...:43:

Just for reference and RPG-2 can penetrate three feet of sand, which is why one sees massive sandbag emplacements/structures in Vietnam war photos.

tim

gunboat
03-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Many houses today do use 2x6 construction for insulation reasons. --- but I wonder how well a 30/06 ap round would penetrate. Overall, it is something to contemplate in this world of "drive bys" -- The thought of a 100 thousand gang members in LA alone is worth a bit of worry -- my ha-penny

zatoh
03-09-2009, 3:15 PM
Adding a layer of Tivek or Visqueen under each drywall sheet might keep the sand from pouring out of the holes too.

I wonder if wet/moist sand stop bullets better than dry sand?

Dark&Good
03-09-2009, 5:50 PM
Well, well... very interesting. Thank you.

As for the questions that came up, we could do similar tests ourselves (.30-06 and others) - I'm going to ask the RM at the Chabot Range in Castro Valley, can't see why he wouldn't be in... they also have some lanes that are not being continually used, and we'd make the results public, too, which could benefit many.

Seesm
03-09-2009, 11:15 PM
That is amazing as I would think bullet would travel further than just the 6 inches...

I have about 3 foot of dirt and its packed tight on the backside and not as tight in the front and NOTHING goes through that...

I had a idea sand was great but not that great!! Thanks

cgseanp1
03-09-2009, 11:18 PM
nothing like a nice pair of sandbags :)

hntnnut
03-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Back in the early 80s one of the range demonstrations the instructors would do for us in our hunter saftey classes was to take a 5 gal bucket filled with sand and shoot it with a 30-06 @20 yards then take a identical bucket filled with sand and shoot it with a compound bow. The rifle round would never penetrate out the back but on the other hand the arrow would always be sticking out the back or laying on the ground behind the bucket.

Richard

Dark&Good
03-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Whoa, really??? New perspectives opening...

cgseanp1
03-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Whoa, really??? New perspectives opening...

Not really a big surprise to me.. Arrows have a lot more mass and they don't smash when they hit the sand

Army
03-10-2009, 1:19 PM
Not really a big surprise to me.. Arrows have a lot more mass and they don't smash when they hit the sand
Less about mass, than about velocity. Bullet weight can equal, and easily surpass arrow weights. But sand cannot get out of the way fast enough for a bullet, and the slower arrow will simply push on through.

Hatcher Hall at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, uses a sand pit at the classroom indoor test range to stop up to .50BMG AP rounds. The wall separating the sand from the outside world, is right at the entrance to the building. It's quite nerve wracking to be next to the wall, and not only hearing, but feeling the .50 impacts on the sand behind you :)

wildhawker
03-10-2009, 1:53 PM
I think you would need to beef up the walls a bit to take care of the weight of the sand.

True, as well as account for the additional mass in the subgrade/base preparation, foundation construction and wall connections if a substantial column of sand or similar material were to fill the walls. Add a seismic event and you could have trouble but quick if not properly engineered.