View Full Version : Where to get cheap golf balls?

03-09-2009, 8:38 AM
well, I've just had my eyes opened to how fun golf balls are to shoot. Just one thing, there kinda spendy for something I am going to destroy. Anyone know of a cheap source to get used golf balls? I really don't care what they look like, after all im gonna shoot em. I guess I will call the local golf course and see if they have any info for me.

03-09-2009, 8:41 AM
Check with driving ranges. That's where I get mine.

03-09-2009, 9:39 AM
Driving ranges or golf shops. They usually have a bargain bin or small selection of used golf balls they've pulled out of the water hazards, have been retired from range use or have minor defects (aka X outs) for cheap.

03-09-2009, 9:50 AM

Do they just give them to you, or do you just walk off with the bucket of balls after paying your $8 to the clubhouse?:thumbsup:

03-09-2009, 9:53 AM
Free tip on golf balls,

Find one of those ranges where you drive into a lake. those balls are different (made to float) and wear out quicker for some reason. because they go through them quicker, they seem to always have buckets of balls that are "no good" for them.

03-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Do they just give them to you, or do you just walk off with the bucket of balls after paying your $8 to the clubhouse?:thumbsup:

03-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Golf balls don't strike me as particularly biodegradable and even as fragments, will litter whatever place you are shooting them. Perhaps you should file golf balls with glass bottles as bad to shoot at.

Chris M
03-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Just be careful if you're going to be drilling any holes in them to mount them to target stands (on top of an exposed nail or threaded with wire to hang them). I was using a drill press to drill holes in golf balls while at my dad's shooting range, and I had a few of them that had some sort of pressurized liquid in them that sprayed all over my face - in my eyes, nose, mouth, etc. I'm still alive, and my senses of vision, smell, and taste are still intact, but it was still an unpleasant experience.

Also, if you're going to thread and hang them using wire, make sure the wire is strong enough to withstand the centrifugal forces that a spinning golfball will generate, so that the whirling golfball doesn't come loose and fly in random directions when struck with anything more powerful than a 22lr.

Also, don't try to shoot golf balls with a 22lr that are already partially sunk in the ground. The bullet may ricochet and come flying right back at you.

Done right, shooting golf balls can be fun. I've done it the wrong way and scared the crap out of myself on a couple of occasions.

03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
kmart sells used golfballs. You get about 50 for $12 IIRC. That's not to bad.

03-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Don't go wading in the lakes and water hazards at the course looking for golf balls.
#1 Grounds keepers and Marshals aren't too happy about that.
#2 The water is usually brimming with lawn chemical run off from the greens.

If we were in Florida, I'd say watch out for gators.

03-09-2009, 11:48 AM
A couple of other cheap reactive targets are charcoal briquets (make a nice black "poof!" when hit) and crackers. A lot easier on the countryside also.

03-09-2009, 12:38 PM
I have at least two one gallon pails of them somewhere, everytime I try to hit my 7 iron hard I cut a smiley face in them.

03-09-2009, 12:41 PM

Better yet, take your dog for a walk around a golf course. Mine always comes home with a range or lost ball. 30 walks = 30 'cheap' golf balls.

03-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Interesting. I will have to try the charcoal one, as for biodegradable, my range doesn;t seem to mind golf balls, or all the lead we pump into the ground, but then again we have to use biodegradeable clay pigeons to help save endangered frogs, go figure.

03-09-2009, 2:01 PM
Ebay, or lostgolfballs.com

03-09-2009, 5:31 PM
You can buy bags of cheap golf balls at WalMart
Try shooting potatoes - they're cheap and provide a rewarding splatter when hit solidly.

03-09-2009, 5:35 PM
You can always go to a place that sells fruit and sneak around back try to find the case of the bad apples/oranges/grapefruits. Take em out to the desert and BLAM :D No clean up necessary.

03-09-2009, 5:40 PM
How bout some eggs?:chef:

03-09-2009, 6:21 PM
my #1 source for used golf balls and sometimes new.....Garage Sales.......I bought a 5 gallon bucket of used golf balls for $10.....I also bought 2 brand new boxes of Noodles for $10......not too mention the occasional $2 ammo can find.........

03-10-2009, 12:43 PM
God I have always fantasized about buying ammo at garage sales. Ever since I read aobut a guy finding a can of linked ammo for a vickers gun for cheap! Nice idea with the eggs. Im going to hagve to talk with the people who run my range and see if watermelon is PC.

03-10-2009, 1:25 PM
Well in my younger days (last week) we would sneak onto a driving range in the middle of the night and fill up all of your backpacks with golf balls, then a bout a week later we would sell them back to the golf corse, I know no the most ethical thing to do but hell it paid for a lot of stuff through HS. lol