PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Disconnect/Chamber Indicator?

jyl
10-23-2005, 4:35 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post on Calguns.

I'm interested in the magazine disconnect and loaded chamber indicator requirement. I'll summarize how I read the law, and please tell me if I am getting it wrong.

Starting Jan 1 2006 a center-fire handgun must have a magazine disconnect or a loaded chamber indicator to be tested for the certification that allows the gun to be sold in California. Starting Jan 1, 2007 a center-fire handgun must have both a magazine disconnect and a loaded chamber indicator to be tested. A gun that has been certified can still be sold, even if it lacks these features, until the certification expires. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12125.htm

Assuming I am reading the law correctly (again, please tell me if I'm not) then should we expect a supply disruption for certain guns when their existing certifications expire? For example, I think Glocks and 1911s wouldn't satisfy either the magazine disconnect or the loaded chamber indicator requirement. Now, the manufacturers could certainly modify the design to include these features - plenty of gun designs have them.

But could there might be a period while the modified designs are being developed and certified, when these models won't be available?

Is it also possible that an original design gun might come to have more value than a revised design gun?

I'd like to get your thoughts, since I'm thinking about getting another Glock - and wonder if I should accelerate my plans . . .

Charliegone
10-23-2005, 5:53 PM
I would think that all the major manufactures have prepared for this. I'm sure some guns might disappear after 2006, but you can bet there will be guns on that list.

PanzerAce
10-23-2005, 6:01 PM
both Kimber and SA already put loaded chamber indicators on the 1911s, its a small slit above the round that lets the color show through. as for mag disconnect, dunno about it

Inoxmark
10-23-2005, 8:42 PM
As long as manufacturer keeps paying annual ransom the gun will stay on the list and can be sold w/o modifications. Once it's off the list - PPT only. New models will have to have these features in order to qualify for CA market.
BTW, this 1911 peephole doesn't count as a LCI under CA definition, neither do many existing designs (Beretta 92, etc.): A device satisfies this definition if it is readily visible, has incorporated or adjacent explanatory text or graphics, or both, and is designed and intended to indicate to a reasonably foreseeable adult user of the pistol, without requiring the user to refer to a user's manual or any other resource other than the pistol itself, whether a cartridge is in the firing chamber.

saki302
10-23-2005, 10:09 PM
The new Glocks already have the LCI- look at the extractor- it bulges out, showing 'red' when a bullet is in the chamber.

The new Ruger .22's have both- which is why I refuse to buy one!

-Dave