PDA

View Full Version : Home Ammunition Storage Laws

redhead
10-23-2005, 2:35 PM
Ok, most of you know how this thing goes. Somebody told my husband that if you own more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition, you have to register with your local police department. I did a google search, took a quick look at the Ca. DOJ firearms division page, and couldn't find anything relevant.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what the actual law is? I really hate to work on "I heard...".

I also hate to publicly embarrass myself like this, so be kind! :o

C.G.
10-23-2005, 2:49 PM
Ok, most of you know how this thing goes. Somebody told my husband that if you own more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition, you have to register with your local police department. I did a google search, took a quick look at the Ca. DOJ firearms division page, and couldn't find anything relevant.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what the actual law is? I really hate to work on "I heard...".

:confused: . That somebody doesn't work for Koretz, does he?

Mssr. Eleganté
10-23-2005, 3:12 PM
There is no California state law about how much ammo you can store at home, but a few local governments do regulate this. See if your city has an online version of local laws on their web site. Otherwise you might have to go down to the local library and search through the codes the old fashioned way. Ammunition storage restrictions are usually in the fire code, but almost always only regulate storage of black powder or other explosives. Storage of smokeless powder and loaded ammunition is hardly ever regulated.

Somebody on this forum from your city may have already researched all of this and might be able to answer your question more directly. There's a chance that your husband's friend already knows the regs for your city, but it's more likely that he is just repeating a rumor he heard down at the gunshop about the "arsenal license" provisions of the "Brady II" federal law. This law never made it out of Congress.

TonyM
10-23-2005, 3:12 PM

I've heard this before, but it was not the Police you had to tell, it was the Fire Marshal.

Is it true? I dunno, but I'm not going to call to ask.

redhead
10-23-2005, 3:29 PM
There's a chance that your husband's friend already knows the regs for your city, but it's more likely that he is just repeating a rumor he heard down at the gunshop about the "arsenal license" provisions of the "Brady II" federal law.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't. He live in another county, in another town. I checked to see if my town has the city regs online - no go. I just may have to go to the library. I haven't been there in ages...

JAFGO
10-23-2005, 6:51 PM
I am not aware of any state regs regarding the amount of ammo one can have at her residence. Maybe some local ords like mentioned above. The only regs I know of are for the reloader's storage at home of gun powder. If I remember right, the limit is 20 lbs of smokeless and 1 lb of black powder. Never have seen any mention of limit on primer storage at home.

Black_Talon
10-23-2005, 7:07 PM
"Come and get me DOJ"
http://www.black-talon.org/RKBA/ammo/ammo.jpg

Trader Jack
10-23-2005, 7:55 PM
Idiot, Idiot, Idiot.

saki302
10-23-2005, 9:10 PM
"Knock Knock"

"Mr. Black Talon, please let us in.."

:D

blacklisted
10-23-2005, 9:16 PM
"Knock Knock"

"Mr. Black Talon, please let us in.."

:D

*Breeching shotgun blast*

"Get the guns! Move and you will die!"

"Someone shut that dog up!"

:)

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with having lots of ammo. In fact, everyone shoudl have lots of ammo.

EOD Guy
10-24-2005, 6:40 AM
Storage of ammunition and components is usually covered under local fire codes. There is generally no limit to loaded ammunition. There is usually a limit for primers, but I can't recall what it is (10,000?). The California Health and Safety Code does have a limit on how much smokeless and black powder you can possess without a permit.

California Health and Safety Code §12102

12102. This chapter does not apply to any possession or use of 20
pounds or less of smokeless powder, or one pound or less of black
sporting powder, provided that:
(a) Smokeless powder is intended only for hand loading of small
arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.
(b) Black sporting powder is intended for loading of small arms or
small arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.
(c) All such powder is for private use and not for resale, and, in
the case of black sporting powder, there shall be no gift, delivery,
or other disposition to another person.
(d) The storage, use and handling of such smokeless and black
powder conforms to rules, regulations, or ordinances of authorities
having jurisdiction for fire prevention and suppression in the area
of such storage, use, and handling of such explosives.

Black_Talon
10-24-2005, 4:21 PM
Idiot, Idiot, Idiot.

You callling me an idiot?

BigMac
10-24-2005, 4:51 PM
Dont mind Trader Jack... he's, lets say, abrasive some times.

Wow, 20 lbs... I May be in violation. 8 lbs varget, 8 lbs 335, 8 lbs vitavitori shoot, I'm just getting started. I am in compliance with black powder, I have less than a LB.

I do keep my powder in a cabinet that will contain it and vent off presure in the even of fire.. Dang 20 lbs is less than my next order of pull down powder will be ;)

Telpierion
10-24-2005, 5:10 PM
There is a limit of 20 pounds of smokeless powder and one pound of black powder. I'm not sure if that includes powder in loaded ammunition though. Actually that may be just gun shop rumor I'm repeating.

artherd
10-24-2005, 11:35 PM
"Come and get me DOJ"
http://www.black-talon.org/RKBA/ammo/ammo.jpg

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet Good choice, RA9TA is my SD ammo.

EOD Guy
10-25-2005, 5:31 AM
There is a limit of 20 pounds of smokeless powder and one pound of black powder. I'm not sure if that includes powder in loaded ammunition though. Actually that may be just gun shop rumor I'm repeating.

That is correct. See the extract from the Health and Safty Code in my post at the top of the page.

The limit does not include powder in loaded ammunition.

Sagebrush
10-25-2005, 7:04 AM
I wonder if by black powder, the code just means authentic black powder, or also includes the modern black powder substitutes. I would guess the former.

artherd
10-25-2005, 9:31 AM
I would venture to guess that the AG would consider Pyrodex, etc. to be a smokeless powder. However a determination letter would be nice.

blacklisted
10-25-2005, 10:17 AM
I am curious, what makes black powder so dangerous that one can only have a pound of it (compared to smokeless powder)? Seems to me that double base powder would be a bit more dangerous than traditional black powder. Somebody that I know made 3 pounds of black powder a few years ago and burned it all up before discovering the law :) .

EOD Guy
10-25-2005, 1:07 PM
I am curious, what makes black powder so dangerous that one can only have a pound of it (compared to smokeless powder)? Seems to me that double base powder would be a bit more dangerous than traditional black powder. Somebody that I know made 3 pounds of black powder a few years ago and burned it all up before discovering the law :) .

Because black powder is classified as a division 1.1D explosive material. Smokeless powders are classified as Division 4.1 flammable solids.

It's a matter of relative hazards.

redhead
10-25-2005, 5:58 PM
Thanks, all. I'll have to go down to the local library and see if I can find the local codes. I don't have any reloading component, just loaded ammunition. Just a little bit of it. ;)

C.G.
10-25-2005, 6:48 PM
Thanks, all. I'll have to go down to the local library and see if I can find the local codes. I don't have any reloading component, just loaded ammunition. Just a little bit of it. ;)

Instead of the library, you should go to the range and get rid of it!:p

redhead
10-25-2005, 9:25 PM
Instead of the library, you should go to the range and get rid of it!:p

I'll have to see what I can do. :D

1911_sfca
10-26-2005, 12:52 PM
It doesn't apply to you since you're in the East Bay, but for anyone else in San Francisco, I looked through the county ordinances/codes, and didn't find anything restricting rounds of ammo, or anything related to powder. FYI.

The police code does prohibit manufacturing ammunition (commercially). That's the closest thing I found.