PDA

View Full Version : carring while fishing?

luisdeleon
03-09-2009, 8:08 AM
anyone carry while fishing? sometimes i fish in exluded places out on the delta, a couple of times felt unsafe. i have encountered some wierd peaple. i carry very expensive equipment. and also any animals that can cause harm to my boy and i

paintballergb
03-09-2009, 8:13 AM
I have yet to carry while fishing, although I am certainly not opposed to it. However, unlike you I don't really have that expensive of gear and I don't have someone else I have to look after. If you feel safer carrying and it is allowed where you are fishing, then I say go for it.

TWOMP
03-09-2009, 8:18 AM
Of course :thumbsup:

ZOMBIEHUNTER
03-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Night fishing at lake Berryessa i always carry.

Eroland7
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
When we go backpacking/fly fishing in the sierras, I always carry my glock. Never know what you'll run into...

thefurball
03-09-2009, 2:48 PM
My rule is carry at all times when permitted.

Fishing, hunting, walking down the street, whatever.

Better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

sorensen440
03-09-2009, 2:50 PM
Always

mif_slim
03-09-2009, 4:27 PM
I do. never used it before but did run into a lot of trouble before. Fishing at Freeport some a-ho gangsters tried to do something, luckly they didnt come any closer.

ThatFishGuy
03-09-2009, 4:28 PM
i dont mean to hi-jack, but just to confirm... you can legally carry anytime you are hunting/fishing as long as you are not in a protected park where they specifically do not allow firearms correct? or can you just carry (but not hunt) any time during/or on the way to hunting/fishing?

luisdeleon
03-09-2009, 4:37 PM
i dont mean to hi-jack, but just to confirm... you can legally carry anytime you are hunting/fishing as long as you are not in a protected park where they specifically do not allow firearms correct? or can you just carry (but not hunt) any time during/or on the way to hunting/fishing?

to add to this, can we carry concealed or does it have to be open carry?

sorensen440
03-09-2009, 4:45 PM

to add to this, can we carry concealed or does it have to be open carry?
I could answer that but I think its important that you have a better understanding prior to doing any carrying while hunting or fishing

Please do a search and read any of the dozens of carry while hunting/fishing threads for your answer

savs2k
03-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I always carry when fishing. Needed it once but didn't have it on me at the delta. Never making that mistake again.

sorensen440
03-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I always carry when fishing. Needed it once but didn't have it on me at the delta. Never making that mistake again.
Its funny how that works
it wasnt while fishing but I had a situation in Reno where I really really really wished I had a gun with me.
I don't travel without one now

luisdeleon
03-09-2009, 10:07 PM
thanks guys for all the replies

Deadred7o7
03-09-2009, 11:42 PM

I was thinking the same thing. So you can carry in the boat when say, Bass fishing???

7x57
03-10-2009, 12:03 AM
I was thinking the same thing. So you can carry in the boat when say, Bass fishing???

I had totally forgotten a story I heard about a couple of guys bass fishing in SoCal who were doing so well that apparently someone suspected them of using stocked trout for bait. That someone motored over, aimed a pistol at them, and ordered them to pull up their lines. :eek:

He apparently mumbled "sorry" and left quickly when they pulled up hooks legally baited with crawdads, but the point is, when I heard that story I didn't realize that it's legal to CC while fishing! But apparently someone else can read the regs too. :D

I guess there isn't really a point to the story, except maybe keep a close eye on bass fishermen. Say, I'd like the same thing on the front of my boat that the Coasties have on theirs. :chris:

7x57

Kid Stanislaus
03-10-2009, 5:22 AM
I feel uneasy when fly fishing because I'm totally concentrated on making casts and my back is not protected at all. If I was pack'n at least I'd have a chance to retaliate against an attack, maybe.

luisdeleon
03-10-2009, 7:17 AM

you know i would like to have this answered too. i just got a boat.

Thrillbilly
03-10-2009, 8:51 AM
I always carry ;)

7x57
03-10-2009, 9:27 AM
you know i would like to have this answered too. i just got a boat.

I guess we'd have to check the boating regs pretty carefully. The fishing regs seem to OK it, but if the boating regs address guns you'd have to obey those as well.

In a related question, I wonder at what distance off the coast California gun laws cease to apply. Three miles?

7x57

mif_slim
03-10-2009, 9:44 AM
Imagine at a Bass tournament and guys are carrying, they might hav to use it if someone else is in their spot. :P jk.

atavuss
03-10-2009, 8:36 PM
while I never felt the need to carry when fishing in my boat, I do carry a Ruger Alaskan when in the backcountry.

djm315
03-11-2009, 12:36 PM
the only time you cannot carry while hunting is during an archery only hunting season ,no firearms permitted on your person even for self defence

eccvets
03-11-2009, 1:06 PM
I always carry. One good thing about a hipoint is that you dont worry if it goes flying off/dropping in to the water never to be seen again. It's good insurance for 100-150 bucks.

Deadred7o7
03-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Imagine at a Bass tournament and guys are carrying, they might hav to use it if someone else is in their spot. :P jk.

Thats kind of why I'm asking. I have done a few tournament and in one (Clearlake) had a old guy through rocks at us on the boat because we were " TO CLOSE TO MY F...-n DOCK" wtf luckily the rocks didnt hit us or the boat and my pro was just trying to get his swimbait un-snaged.

Quiet
03-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Here's the applicable penal codes.

Penal Code 12025
(a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following:
(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(2) Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(3) Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he or she is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

Penal Code 12027
Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the following:
(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.

savs2k
03-12-2009, 2:20 AM
im too young to own a boat =P. But if I had one i'd carry on there too. If you can carry legally why not do it? You carry for your safety not to look or feel cool.

chiselchst
03-12-2009, 2:37 AM
I am avid boater. It's OK to CCW when boating/fishing.

That's the first thing the Coasties will ask when they board you. DO NOT get it out for them, stay away from it and tell them where it is. No biggie...

JamesY
03-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I've read the regs and came to the conclusion that I can CC an unloaded pistol while fishing... Anyway, before I went out to a local pier and CC, I asked this question to a CA DFG person and she said it would be illegal to do in an incorporated place. After this, I am not sure if I can or can't. I've read a few threads regarding this and am still confused.

luisdeleon
03-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I've read the regs and came to the conclusion that I can CC an unloaded pistol while fishing... Anyway, before I went out to a local pier and CC, I asked this question to a CA DFG person and she said it would be illegal to do in an incorporated place. After this, I am not sure if I can or can't. I've read a few threads regarding this and am still confused.

i'm a bit confused too. So far it's ok to CC when fishing. now is it ok to have it loaded?

xxdabroxx
03-12-2009, 12:25 PM
the only time you cannot carry while hunting is during an archery only hunting season ,no firearms permitted on your person even for self defence

I dont know that that would be entirely true if you are not hunting. If you happen to be fishing during archery season, you have lost all right to self defense? Doesnt seem quite right to me.

where does it say that you cannot have a loaded firearm? I agree with the incorporated territory part though, i dont think it would fly at the local park.

Moto4Fun
03-12-2009, 12:46 PM
My interpretation of the law:
As long as you are in a place where it is otherwise legal to hunt and fish, and you are a licensed hunter/fisherman, and are in the act of hunting/fishing; it is ok to carry a LOADED weapon in a concealed fashion. I don't see anything in that specific section of the PC regarding fishing in the ocean or local parks, but I would infer (not the best thing to do when it comes to the law, but may put you in the same line of thinking of a LEO) that you should be in a location where LOADED OPEN carry would be tollerated, and/or where target shooting would be permissable. My feeling is that BLM/National Forest land would apply, city/county parks and piers at the beach would not be a good idea.

This is a good question though, since there are a lot of fishing spots that would fall into a "grey area". What about the rivers just outside of town? What about the local lakes?

xxdabroxx
03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I would think any lake or river that falls into incorporated territory (city/town limits) there would be no concealed carry. UOC would should be permissible though.

Like Moto was saying, if LOC is legal, i think they decided that it may as well be legal for you to be able to have a loaded pistol in your backpack instead of on your hip. Which would mean that a pistol in your pocket would also be kosher.

razorx
03-12-2009, 1:05 PM
Userful link... CA jurisdiction is 3 miles, US claims territorial up to 12 miles with an economic resource claim out to 200 miles.

article on maritime jurisdiction (https://secure.thelog.com/opinion/opinionview.asp?c=229755)

7x57
03-12-2009, 2:07 PM
Userful link... CA jurisdiction is 3 miles, US claims territorial up to 12 miles with an economic resource claim out to 200 miles.

article on maritime jurisdiction (https://secure.thelog.com/opinion/opinionview.asp?c=229755)

So when is the Second Amendment party going to be held on a private yacht? Presumably there will be an "unlocking ceremony" for those without a CCW just beyond the 3-mile limit. :D

I guess the merriment will cease when someone realizes that a private yacht within a few miles of the US coast is probably the least useful place ever to be able to carry.

7x57