View Full Version : Questions about cleaning and general care

03-09-2009, 1:18 AM
Hello everyone,

I recently inherited a few guns and while I have been firing these guns all my life it is now time for me to take care of them and keep them in good shape.

My question is that I am completely unfamiliar with cleaning techniques. I was wondering how I should go about learning how to properly take care of my new guns.

The guns I inherited are:

First generation Remington M1911 (blue, hand engraved, ivory grips, minor pitting in the barrel, and small amount of exterior rust)

A Colt .357 magnum trooper mark III (nickel, great condition just dirty)

Para - ordinance p10 - 45 ( nickel, again just seems dirty)

SAA Colt .45 2nd generation (damn near mint and I would like to keep it that way)

Navy Arms yellow boy .308 (have not fully inspected yet)

and last but not least an M1 Carbine. (seems to be in perfect shape as well besides a small rust spot on the sight)

Whew, okay sorry about the long list but I really want to know specifically what steps I should take for keeping these guns in tip top shape. Would anyone know of any resources in the Orange County area? Perhaps a local gun shop that could show me the ropes on how to clean these guns myself?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

03-09-2009, 3:11 PM
What I would do: If you are not going to be shooting them, then just disassemble and soak in a bucket of cheap motor oil for a few hours or over night; reassemble without wiping the oil completely dry; seal in plastic with as little air as possible.

The motor oil has additive to trap moisture, and the remaining film will protect the metal for years to come. You may want to brush the rust away if there is any.

I've heard that transmission oil does a better job than motor oil, but it's 4-5 times more expensive.

03-09-2009, 3:54 PM
There are cleaning procedures on virtually any gun on you tube. It seems like you have a couple of collector's pieces. Depending on the condition maybe you should save those and buy shooter grades of them?

03-09-2009, 4:15 PM
I live in OC and have the cleaning stuff for most of that, plus can give you some basic pointers. Looks like a nice collection you inherited.

Here is a good video on the m1 carbine

1911 stuff

If all else fails try searching youtube or google how to clean .....

03-09-2009, 6:24 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I been searching on youtube and google for cleaning instructions and the one I am having trouble finding is for the trooper.

I went to bolsa gunsmith today and they were able to help greatly with instruction on maintaining all of them and walked me through taking apart the 1911 and the p-10.

They are all in fantastic shape for the most part, but the 1911 is going to need a new barrel in the future and a deep cleaning, but other than that everything is great.

I have bought all the cleaning supplies I need now so tonight I will be cleaning everything.

Thank you very much for the links guys those were just what I needed, especially the m1 and 1911 database link.

Hoffman, I would love any pointers you have to give. My grandfather loved his guns more than almost anything and believed that if you cant fire a gun then what good is it, I intend to do the same (except the Single Action Colt will be more sparingly).

There is about 28 other guns he had, but those are going to other family members this is just my share of them. I did receive a new one today as well, a navy arms schofield.

Thanks again to everyone for the tips and links I very much appreciate it. I guess more than anything I was just very nervous about damaging the guns from improper cleaning. After going to the gunsmith today and getting some instruction I feel quite a bit more confident now.

03-09-2009, 6:41 PM
Take your time when you first clean them inspect them and get to know them. Buy some ammo (if you can find it) and go enjoy them.

Oh ya

03-09-2009, 8:29 PM
here are some more useful videos (http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/MaintenanceGuides.aspx)

03-09-2009, 8:42 PM
hold on to that SAA and don't take any amount of money for it. they sure are collectors pieces. I've got a 1882 edition SAA with the screw in the frame and nothing could replace it. Be sure to keep that one well oiled to protect it too.

03-09-2009, 11:36 PM
@hoffman: I will get some pics up ASAP.

@smokingloon: Fantastic videos on that link, that was exactly what I needed.

@kar6man: yes the SAA is absolutely my personal favorite, it definitely draws attention every time I show it to a gunsmith or dealer and it will never be sold.

Tonight I cleaned the trooper and dear lord that was a lot of dirt but now its nice and shiny :thumbsup: .

I have another problem though, I was able to field strip the 1911 easy but I can't figure out how to safely get the p-10 field stripped. Anyone familiar with how to do that? I have been looking on google and youtube and not much luck yet. I am guessing the spring does not come out first?

03-10-2009, 10:43 PM

03-11-2009, 8:34 AM
It was mentioned to oil the guns. If they are stored in a safe is not a bag or two of desicant sufficient to keep guns in good condition?

Bird of Fire
03-11-2009, 9:08 AM
That schofield is gorgeous. LUUUUUUCKY!

Yes storing the firearms in a safe with desicant will work, but the oil needs to be there as an additional layer of protection on the metal. I'd also advise against storing it in an open cell foam case as pictured, as that can wick oil away from the firearm and even damage the finish. For long term storage, the plastic baggie would be best. If you take em out once a month to shoot, a gun sock works for short term storage as well. :)

03-11-2009, 10:50 AM
those are some nice pics!

03-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the tip, I do have a safe but it is not a true gun safe its a sentry safe. My grandfather had all the guns stored in there prior. I plan on shooting at least once a month so should I get some gun socks and keep them in the safe?

Edit: oh almost forgot to say Thank you about the schofield, I'm looking forward to giving it a go as soon as I can find some ammo for it. I have reloaded ammo but it's anyones guess how old it is.

03-11-2009, 6:23 PM
That 1911 is niiiiice :shock: :drool5:

03-11-2009, 7:36 PM
First Cleaning tip: Give it to me :D

Great inheritance! Have some fun with those pretty ladies.