PDA

View Full Version : pocket pistol

walter
03-09-2009, 1:46 AM
i have a s&w j frame and i like everything about it except the recoil. call me a b*tch but i just cant shoot it and dont feel confident that i can hit what i want to

what's a good replacement? i really wanna stay with 9mm or 38 special but might consider going lower but not higher (due to ammo prices)

i've considered
pm9 (too unreliable imo)
G26 (too big)

Quiet
03-09-2009, 2:22 AM
All the good & affordable pocket guns (Kel-Tec P-32, Kel-Tec P-3AT, Ruger LCP, etc.) are not on the approved list.

However, they do pop up every now and then in the WTS forum.

Miltiades
03-09-2009, 4:14 AM
I also have an airweight J frame and I agree with you that it is very difficult to shoot well and has a sharp recoil. The best pocket alternative to a J frame is a Kahr PM9, which is about the same size and weight, but you excluded that based on reliability.

One alternative you might consider is a Kahr MK9 carried inside the waist band in a tuckable holster. This is the all steel gun that has the same dimensions as the PM9 but weighs 24 ounces. I have one of these that has been perfectly reliable through about 1000 rounds, and I trust it for defense. It provides 6+1 rounds of 9mm +P, has excellent sights and trigger feel, and handles recoil well because of weight. I can shoot it almost as well as my Glock 19 out to 30 feet or so. I consider it to be superior to the J frame for close in defense on the basis of greater capacity (7 vs. 5), better accuracy, and better ballistics (9mm vs. .38).

It is too heavy for pocket carry but is excellent for IWB belt carry. I have a Comp-Tac IWB tuckable appendix carry holster that disappears at the 2 o'clock position.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/KahrMK950.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/KahrMK953.jpg

Spyder
03-09-2009, 7:20 AM
I, as well, was going to recommend the Kahr. I've got the K40 Elite '03, though any of the sub or micro sizes would work. If you want a true pocket gun, get a PM9 as it is quite a bit lighter than the stainless version showed above. Otherwise, as Mil said, it is great IWB. I've been carrying my K40 that way for many years.

AJAX22
03-09-2009, 8:04 AM
Colt 1903 pocket

dfletcher
03-09-2009, 8:32 AM
Is the Smith an airweight? If so, is carrying a steel J frame an option? Maybe a 327 Magnum (that's 327, not 357) revolver? I don't know what can be had in the 380 class, but if you've been using a steel J frame and the recoil is too much, that might be the next class of guns to look at.

jazman
03-09-2009, 9:45 AM
You could have it ported, brings down the muzzle flip/recoil. I have a ported 642 that is great to shoot.

Mac Attack
03-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Find yourself a Colt mustang lightweight. They are great pocket guns but are not as light as a keltec p32 or .380 and cost a few hundred more.

I have a P32 and used to own one in 380. I sold the 380 and stuck with the 32. The best gun to carry is the one you know you will always have on you. A P32 in pocket is better than a gun you leave at home.

SgtDinosaur
03-09-2009, 10:13 AM
My P32 is the best pocket gun I have found in many years of looking. Everything else is just too big, including J frames. I have a 340PD in .357 that is very light, but it still looks fat in my pocket. I put some Crimson Trace laser grips with the air pocket on it, and recoil is managable. Wouldn't want to fire 50 rounds out of it, though.

Vacaville
03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Several options are available:

1. Try different grips and loadings of .38 spl. with your J frame.

2. If you're willing to go down in power, check out the Bersa Thunder .380.

3. Assuming you've got an airweight, get a steel model. I've got a Taurus 85 that weighs 24 oz. and the recoil is stout, but manageable.

JeffM
03-09-2009, 10:46 AM
What do you base the PM9 unreliability claim on? I've put nearly 400 rounds through mine without a hiccup.

I love it. Its just about the same size as a J frame, but flatter, and holds 6+1 or 7+1 if you use the extended magazine.

walter
03-09-2009, 12:17 PM
What do you base the PM9 unreliability claim on? I've put nearly 400 rounds through mine without a hiccup.

I love it. Its just about the same size as a J frame, but flatter, and holds 6+1 or 7+1 if you use the extended magazine.

because when i go to kahr forums, every other thread is a problem thread. its like going to a bmw forum :p

Spyder
03-09-2009, 8:58 PM
My Kahr has never had a hiccup. I don't clean it reguarlarily and have put more than two thousand rounds through it. Could just be mine 'cause I have heard some people *****ing about them, but the same goes for ANY other make out there. I love mine and will buy another. I wouldn't own a Glock to save my life if my department didn't issue them... to each his own. I recommend the Kahr. =]

JeffM
03-09-2009, 9:10 PM
My Kahr has never had a hiccup. I don't clean it reguarlarily and have put more than two thousand rounds through it. Could just be mine 'cause I have heard some people *****ing about them, but the same goes for ANY other make out there. I love mine and will buy another. I wouldn't own a Glock to save my life if my department didn't issue them... to each his own. I recommend the Kahr. =]

That's funny. The reason I bought the Kahr was because I liked Glocks so much but wanted a sub-subcompact.

smittty
03-09-2009, 9:17 PM
because when i go to kahr forums, every other thread is a problem thread. its like going to a bmw forum :p

You know, my 2 wheel bimmer hasn't had a single issue and I've had it for a looong time but I can't argue that the bimmer wagon hasn't been in for warranty work.

If the forums have a lot of problem threads then you can bet that problems exist.

I think it's a shame to give up on the Airweight! Are you gripping it high like your supposed to? The web of your hand should be almost touching the hump.

I like the stock rubber grips but I recently tried a new one just for fun and I like it too. Last weekend I shot it with the new grips and for the first time I hit almost every target I fired at and quickly. That's 4" spinning plates at about 15 yards. The new grips somehow seem to line up my wrist just right and it felt effortless. What grips are they, send me a pm and I'll share.

03-10-2009, 9:05 AM
I wouldn't give up on the J frame, there are so many loading of .38Spl out there that you can surely find something light enough to make it shootable.

I personally have a 432 Airweight (.32Magnum) and it's a dream to shoot. I know you don't want to step down in power, but if you can hit it with a .32 and can't with a .38 then which will work better? ;)

Spyder
03-10-2009, 8:22 PM
That's funny. The reason I bought the Kahr was because I liked Glocks so much but wanted a sub-subcompact.

Haha, not that Glocks are horrible or bad or anything, I just don't personally like 'em. =] I'm not even going to get involved with the dang this one sucks and this one is god discussion. Last time I did that I ended up owing my CO a crapload of pushups! :D

kermit
03-10-2009, 9:03 PM
Have you tried the S&W Model 60 or Ruger 101 with 38 Specials? They have a bit more heft than the Airweight and may do the trick for you.

If you don't mind the 32 ACP, the Seecamp may also be a possibility, if you can find one. Mostly built for close work, rather than punching paper, but may be what you're looking for in a pocket pistol.

S&W is recalling all the Walther PPKs, so you may be able to find one cheaper than normal;)

joea
03-11-2009, 1:43 AM
Here's my p3at pistol. It's very comfortable. I have 6+1 in the pocket holster on my right and 2, 7 round mags in a double mag pocket pouch on my left.
Mags 1 & 2 is interleaved with hydra-shoks and AE ball, 3rd is straight AE ball. I'll do the 9 round mag upgrade some day on the pocket pouch mags (2&3).
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o231/icepic1/hpim0582-1.jpg

626Tony
03-11-2009, 1:50 AM
semi auto - Khar
Revolever- smith and wesson 360 PD

maxicon
03-11-2009, 2:56 PM
I have a P3AT, a 642, and a PM9, and the PM9 is my hands-down favorite among them. It's a great trade-off between weight and power, and is much more accurate than either of the others. It's also a lot more comfortable to shoot.

The P3AT is by far the smallest and lowest profile, but man, the recoil tears me up. I have to wait until the end of the range session to shoot it, as a few mags will have my hand shaking. The sights are nearly unusable for me.

The 642 is light, but isn't nearly as flat as an auto. Recoil's not bad with range loads, but +P is a bit painful. The sights are also terrible on this one, and a laser grip helps, but it's not something you want to totally rely on. The trigger is awful, too, and the heavy DAO hurts my accuracy.

The PM9 is the only one of the 3 I enjoy shooting. Recoil's manageable, accuracy is great, sights are good, and it's flat.

matalac
03-11-2009, 7:09 PM
If you can pocket it...

Bersa Thunder 380.

If you can get it...

Bersa Thunder 380 CC or Colt Mustang 380 or keltec pf9

If you can afford it...

R9 or PM9.
Get ya search on.:thumbsup:

9mm is cheaper than 380 and has better ballistics. Whether that justifies the higher price of the others is up to you.

Demophilus
03-11-2009, 7:30 PM
+1 on 461's comment. Try different .38 Special loads. Granted, target wadcutters or M41 ball are anemic loads, but they're accurate, have .380 kinetic energy levels, and probably more momentum.

They're also cheap enough for lots of practice.

xxxx
03-11-2009, 7:32 PM
Colt Mustang .380ACP - if your conformable with .380