PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 in 308 w/ 26in-ish fluted barrel

MrNiceGuy
03-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Thinking about blowing my bonus money and getting into bolt guns.
I had my eye on this one:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/41874.jpg

The reason I picked this one is because it has the 26in non-triangular barrel + it's fluted (I like the "look" + I want to go 1000 yards in the "distant" future).

Another bonus is it already comes with the B&C stock (I got a chance to play w/ the stock this weekend thx to one of my bros here on CG).

I figured I'd just spend the money now and learn on it as oppose to getting a lower end one and upgrading later.

What do you guys think?
Good choice for a bolt noob who have high aspirations of reaching out to 1000 yards?

Any anyone know if a local shop (SF Bay) has this in stock?
I know a few places out of state that still has them in stock, but figured I'd spend the money here. God knows CA needs the tax money.
I'm about to start calling around tomorrow myself but hook a brother up if you're in the know please.

Just so ya'll know which one I'm talking about, here's the link (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41875).

It's the "Model 700™ XCR™ Tactical Long Range" according to the Remington site.

All comments, advice welcome.

Thx!

sb_pete
03-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Which one is that one?
Looks nice, but which model is it?

MrNiceGuy
03-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Looks nice, but which model is it?

Whoops, added info to original post.

It's the "Model 700™ XCR™ Tactical Long Range" according to the Remington site.

Bruce3
03-08-2009, 11:09 PM
you can do 1000 yards with a 20" barrel

this guy is doing it with a 18" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qj032UJ1I

this is a good read too http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

Dark&Good
03-09-2009, 1:06 AM
That rifle is pretty close to the Remington M24 official sniper rifle. I guess you'll be fine :-)

jcaoloveshine
03-09-2009, 3:31 AM
Overpriced, an SPS Tactical will cost you 550 and get you to 1k just fine with its 20" barrel. Hell, change out the stock and you're still below 800.

Fluting only really saves weight, so unless you want to hunt with that beast it's mostly cosmetic.

If you want a full length barrel, get a PSS. They can be had for about $800, 26" heavy barrel, HS Precision stock.

Only thing close to the M24 is the action.

Stormfeather
03-09-2009, 9:39 AM
Just do it! those are great rifles, very accurate as long as the shooter does their part! Im getting one of the LTR models myself! As Jcaoloveshine said, there are alternatives, but the bottom line is, what do you want. I looked into the SPS Tactical, but for some reason, preferred the LTR. Its hopefully inbound here soon, and shes going to be sporting a whole different look once I finish with her! Let me know which way you go, and when I get back, we can take them out and compare them against each other!

glockman19
03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Dark&Good That rifle is pretty close to the Remington M24 official sniper rifle. I guess you'll be fine :-)

Just do it! those are great rifles, very accurate as long as the shooter does their part! Im getting one of the LTR models myself! As Jcaoloveshine said, there are alternatives, but the bottom line is, what do you want. I looked into the SPS Tactical, but for some reason, preferred the LTR. Its hopefully inbound here soon, and shes going to be sporting a whole different look once I finish with her! Let me know which way you go, and when I get back, we can take them out and compare them against each other!

Get it. It's a great rifle. I also prefer the 26" heavy barrel for long range shooting. For mid-range 200-600 yards I shoot a 700 CDL in .30-06 w/24" barrel. I'm waiting to close a deal on a 700P with the 26" heavy barrel that I'm hoping will accurately take me to 1,000+.

MrNiceGuy
03-09-2009, 1:04 PM
Thx everyone for their suggestions so far.

Actually it helped my steer towards a 20in barrel instead of the 26+ in barrels.

I've always liked the shorter barrels for it's portability and maneuverability but was afraid it wouldn't get out to 1000 yards.
Now that I know it's possible to go 1000 yards with a 20in barrel, I'm more inclined to go that route since it's lighter and I can move around in the bush better with it (no that I'll be hunting with it any time soon).

I'm still planning to go with the fluted barrel to shed some weight plus I'm vain and like that "look".

So it's a toss up between Storm's LTR or the 20in XCR.
Probably still leaning towards the XCR since I don't wanna deal with stock upgrade anytime soon, and the B&C is pretty good from what I hear.

Stormfeather, I know your LTR is probably gonna be all mall ninja'ed out with an AIC + some gi-normous USO or S&B on top....:P
We'll take our rigs out to Sac and go toe to toe on the 1000 line and see who's boss (I just gotta learn how to hit stuff on the 200 line first...hehe).

jcaoloveshine
03-09-2009, 1:44 PM
You don't necessarily need to change the stock on the LTR since the HS Precision stock that is made for it is fairly high quality, about the same as the B&C I would imagine since those two companies are pretty big competitors. It's not like the SPS Varmint with its $30 plastic mold stock or the SPS Tactical with its $80 Hogue stock.

Stormfeather
03-09-2009, 1:53 PM
Thx everyone for their suggestions so far.

Actually it helped my steer towards a 20in barrel instead of the 26+ in barrels.

I've always liked the shorter barrels for it's portability and maneuverability but was afraid it wouldn't get out to 1000 yards.
Now that I know it's possible to go 1000 yards with a 20in barrel, I'm more inclined to go that route since it's lighter and I can move around in the bush better with it (no that I'll be hunting with it any time soon).

I'm still planning to go with the fluted barrel to shed some weight plus I'm vain and like that "look".

So it's a toss up between Storm's LTR or the 20in XCR.
Probably still leaning towards the XCR since I don't wanna deal with stock upgrade anytime soon, and the B&C is pretty good from what I hear.

Stormfeather, I know your LTR is probably gonna be all mall ninja'ed out with an AIC + some gi-normous USO or S&B on top....:P
We'll take our rigs out to Sac and go toe to toe on the 1000 line and see who's boss (I just gotta learn how to hit stuff on the 200 line first...hehe).

The funny thing is, i normally dont really do the "tacticool" route on my guns. My m4's all have normal handguards, no front grip, 2 of them have regular carrying handles on them, Although I do have a varied selection of optics that I switch between, leupold mk iv cqt, eotechs, cmores, acogs, etc etc. For the LTR, I will be changing this one up a bit, im going with a JAE Stock, Springfield Armory Govt scope and harris bipod. Other than that, its going to pretty much be the same gun. Yes, we will have to meet up and give them a whirl out to 1000! No problems shooting 200, we can do the coin shooting. (see who can hit the middle of the coin as it sits in a groove on a 2x4) Trust me, its not that hard to do once ya get your rig dialed in! Im thinking of adding this to the "Put Up Or Shut Up" course into the next Area 52 shoot!

MrNiceGuy
03-09-2009, 3:44 PM
im going with a JAE Stock

That's a sweet stock.
I hope you've ordered that a year ago.
Are they even releasing the 700 version yet?

All I know is I had to wait close to a year to get my G2 stock from them for my M1A.

It's "extremely" heavy though, I learned the hard way trekking a whole day in the hills with that thing on my back.
But I guess you already know it'll weigh a ton....:)

I'm definitely down for the "Put Up or Shut Up" for the shoot this year, I'll be sure to bring some of those big silver dollars to shoot at...heh.

cgseanp1
03-09-2009, 8:43 PM
Not trying to hi-jack, but whats a good site for 700 accessories?

MrNiceGuy
03-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Good question.
I'd be interested too.

Bowser
03-09-2009, 11:33 PM
www.snipercountrypx.com

cgseanp1
03-09-2009, 11:37 PM
cool, and dang some of those stocks are expensive!!! 1k plus for a stock. What is the benefit of a 1k dollar stock??

FMJBT
03-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Not trying to hi-jack, but whats a good site for 700 accessories?

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseCategories.aspx?tabId=9&categoryId=11370&categoryString=10636***10560***9143***

Unfortunately, Midway seems to be out of stock of nearly everything right now.

devildog999
03-09-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm gonna be getting a Remington 700 soon hopefully too. Can't wait

FMJBT
03-09-2009, 11:50 PM
For the OP, have you looked at Tikka T-3's as well? The Tikka's are some serious shooters right out of the box, and the actions are smooth as glass. If your local store has any in stock I'd definitely suggest taking a look at them. The Varmint or Tactical versions would make excellent 1000 yard guns for the money.

MrNiceGuy
03-10-2009, 1:18 PM
Yep, I've considered the Tikkas also.
I've read good things about them.
The only reservation I have is the availability of parts (OEM and after market) for the Tikka.
The sheer amount of after market parts to customize the Remmy 700 is a draw for me (I'm a mall ninja...heh).