PDA

View Full Version : Anyone polish just the flats on their Glock slides?

OutlawDon
03-08-2009, 7:44 PM
Not the entire slide, but just the flat sides on the slides like some 1911's. Wondering how it'll look. I just recently purchased a G19 and trying to get ideas that's different from the usual beadblasting/refinishing of the entire slide. Thanks.

Miltiades
03-09-2009, 4:32 AM
I wouldn't do that because it would result in a strange zebra effect, with the top and ends of the slide remaining black. Why not pay about $100 and have your entire slide hard chromed? I did that to my Glock 19 and like the look. The hard chrome on top of tenifer steel is also one of the hardest and most scratch resistant finishes I have ever seen.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/Glock1931.jpg

supersonic
03-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I would highly recommend against doing any kind of abrasive/polishing-type of work on your 19. The reason for this is that -in doing so- you will remove or compromise the proprietary Tenifer layer that was applied to the slide at the factory. The Tenifer is, essentially, why you see all those infamous Glock "super-corrosion-torture-tests" where the slide comes out the other end unharmed. That coating is one of the main reasons Glocks are known for their durability. "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" comes to mind here, except that in the case of the G19's finish, I would change that well-known saying to "Don't "fix" it if it ain't ever gonna break"..............especially for primarily cosmetic purposes!!;)

Oldnoob
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
I would highly recommend against doing any kind of abrasive/polishing-type of work on your 19. The reason for this is that -in doing so- you will remove or compromise the proprietary Tenifer layer that was applied to the slide at the factory. The Tenifer is, essentially, why you see all those infamous Glock "super-corrosion-torture-tests" where the slide comes out the other end unharmed. That coating is one of the main reasons Glocks are known for their durability. "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" comes to mind here, except that in the case of the G19's finish, I would change that well-known saying to "Don't "fix" it if it ain't ever gonna break"..............especially for primarily cosmetic purposes!!;)

Why are people keep thinking the Tenifer is the black coating on Glock? Tenifer is a treatment Glock use when manufacturing the slides. It makes steel and iron harden, and Glock make it work realllllly well. Take off the parkerized coating will do nothing to harm the Glock slide other than make it look ugly(just my opinion. I like my guns black). If you like the stainless steel-like look, go ahead and take off the parkerized coating. If you like more of grayish look, go with hard chrome. Your Glock, your choice.

For more information on Tenifer, check out Glock FAQ: http://www.glockfaq.com

supersonic
03-09-2009, 2:21 PM
Why are people keep thinking the Tenifer is the black coating on Glock? Tenifer is a treatment Glock use when manufacturing the slides. It makes steel and iron harden, and Glock make it work realllllly well. Take off the parkerized coating will do nothing to harm the Glock slide other than make it look ugly(just my opinion. I like my guns black). If you like the stainless steel-like look, go ahead and take off the parkerized coating. If you like more of grayish look, go with hard chrome. Your Glock, your choice.

For more information on Tenifer, check out Glock FAQ: http://www.glockfaq.com

Nobody said anything about Tenifer being the "black" color on a Glock slide. Don't know why you referenced my post about that. The Tenifer is a micro-thin colorless (or translucent, if you like) material applied to the surface of the steel at a molecular level. It is nearly diamond-hard, but (again) very, VERY thin. If you have gone as far as actually removing the "black" from the slide.............what do you think probably came off with it?;)