PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about buying a handgun

dagger10k
03-08-2009, 4:12 PM
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but I am not quite sure about all this.

Here's the deal: I am thinking about purchasing my first handgun, for target practice. I am a college student, and am renting a house along with some friends. Because this is not really a "permanent" residence, I DROSed 2 long guns with my address as my father's house, who lives in a different town. I know I need to provide proof or residence for a handgun. I can get a copy of the lease for the house I'm renting, but I would have to DROS it to that house instead of my father's correct? I have nothing that would suffice as proof or residence for his house, as far as I know. Would that cause any problems?

Another possibility is my father buying it and doing an inter-familial transfer, but that would cost at least $34 extra. Any thoughts?

JJ1911
03-08-2009, 4:28 PM
if you have a lease for your current residence then yes thats the one that should be on the dros. which address is on your drivers lic. or ca id?

halifax
03-08-2009, 4:49 PM
Who is the registered owner on your vehicle title? At what address?

dagger10k
03-08-2009, 5:49 PM
My Driver's license lists my address at my dad's house. My vehicle is owned by my father, at his address.

halifax
03-08-2009, 9:57 PM
My Driver's license lists my address at my dad's house. My vehicle is owned by my father, at his address.

Then go with what JJ1911 said.

dagger10k
03-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Ok, so there won't be any problems even though I DROSed from my father's address before?

One Shot, One Dropped
03-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Well, your two proofs of residence must have the same address. If you must, make a lease agreement for your parents' house and have it notarized...

nick
03-08-2009, 11:57 PM
My Driver's license lists my address at my dad's house.

So your CDL lists your father's house as the address?

dagger10k
03-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Yes. My father's address is on my driver's license. I can get a copy of the lease for my rented house, but the utility bills here don't go to my name.

nick
03-09-2009, 12:21 AM
So you'll need to DROS using your father's address, I think. For handguns, you'll need to get the notarized lease agreement, as others pointed out, unless your name is on the car registration. After all, you can have more than one residence, and your primary residence may be your father's place. Would be safer, too, since you don't know how many times your address will change in the near future, whereas your father, I presume, isn't as likely to move often.

brian01tj
03-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Well, your two proofs of residence must have the same address. If you must, make a lease agreement for your parents' house and have it notarized...

And since your CDL matches his address your good to go.

brian01tj
03-09-2009, 12:25 AM

Actually the first handgun I purchased 5 years ago was during a time I was living with my parents. The guy at Turners said all I needed was a notarized letter from my parents stating that I lived at that address and they were the owners. Talk to your FFL in case he isn't happy with it though.

dagger10k
03-09-2009, 12:35 AM
So, do I need 2 proofs of residence, or will the notarized lease agreement for my father's house suffice?

ck867
03-09-2009, 12:53 AM
So, do I need 2 proofs of residence, or will the notarized lease agreement for my father's house suffice?

1 proof should be enough. My CA driver license still has my parents address but it has not been my residency for a long time. I just use a smud bill as proof for my residency and thats it. I have heard of some gun shops requiring that your CA driver license showing that your residency address is on it AND the smud bill but I believe that might be the shops policy.

dagger10k
03-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks guys. I hope it works.

dagger10k
03-30-2009, 1:07 PM
Well, it worked!

I went out and bought myself a brand new Buckmark Camper at River City Gun Exchange, and was very happy with the exchange and the gun until I took it out to shoot for the first time and the firing pin bent. Now I get to find out about customer service I guess.