PDA

View Full Version : FTF in a revolver

bluthandwerk
03-08-2009, 2:06 PM
I just picked up my new Taurus Tracker .44 the other day and took it to the local range yesterday to try it out.

The first 5 shots worked fine, but on my second go-round I got one FTF. The hammer dropped and the firing pin dented the primer, but evidently not enough to ignite the primer. I reset it and tried again, and it fired this time.

I thought it might have been the round, but then with the next 5 rounds, 3 out of 5 failed to fire, so now I'm thinking it's something about the revolver, perhaps the firing pin.

Does this sound correct? I will probably take it back to the dealer first, since he is also a gunsmith, but I have a feeling it's going to have to go back to the manufacturer if it's a manufacturing defect.

BTW - The ammo was Magtech, also brand new. I've never used it before in .44 rem. mag. but I've never had a problem with .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

neomentat
03-08-2009, 2:20 PM
try a different brand of ammo, if it doesn't work then it's the gun. if you're getting light primer strikes then you might need to replace the main spring with a heavier one.

sounds like the ammo though

bluthandwerk
03-08-2009, 3:31 PM
Thanks. I'll pick up something a little more upscale and see if that's any better.

TKM
03-08-2009, 4:23 PM
Some models have an adjustable bushing at the base of the mainspring.

Good luck.