PDA

View Full Version : Bear Creek Moly Coated Bullets and Glocks

JTROKS
03-08-2009, 7:58 AM
Does anyone here shoot Bear Creek coated bullets through their factory barreled Glocks without any fear of going KB? I was going to post this in reloading, but I think I won't get spanked by the moderators since it's a bi-subject.

Voo
03-08-2009, 8:42 AM
I've shot close to 15000 rounds of bear creek through my glock34 so far.

I wouldnt' say it was an issue of bravery so much as simply being mindful of the lead buildup.

JTROKS
03-08-2009, 9:34 AM
How many rounds do you shoot before cleaning?

Glock Fan
03-08-2009, 10:02 AM
I heard its a no no. But I'd love to hear sucess stories. It'd save me from buying a barrel.

B Strong
03-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Does anyone here shoot Bear Creek coated bullets through their factory barreled Glocks without any fear of going KB? I was going to post this in reloading, but I think I won't get spanked by the moderators since it's a bi-subject.

I'm not a fan of moly coats in rifles, and I'd bet it's completely useless for pistol projectiles at pistol velocities.

Voo
03-08-2009, 12:12 PM
How many rounds do you shoot before cleaning?

JTROCKS-

Normally I shoot approximately 200 rounds (1 match) and call it a day. I've gone as much as 500 rounds, but I wouldnt recommend it.

I've had mixed results with using Bear Creek. This isn't to say I'm unhappy, just that you do get what you pay for. Since you're obviously reloading, it'll be useful to work up loads and see how your particular powder+bullet are leading the barrel.

I've saved more than enough money using Bear Creek and honestly, at this point, I think Im going to buy a lonewolf barrel and remove the hassle of cleaning the damn thing every 200 rounds or so.

Voo
03-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm not a fan of moly coats in rifles, and I'd bet it's completely useless for pistol projectiles at pistol velocities.

Moly usage in rifles IS NOT the same thing as why we use moly in pistols.

Rifle shooters dont' come even close to shooting the same volume of rounds as pistol shooters. To offset the cost issues, people try and shoot the cheapest thing going while typically striving for some amount of accuracy. The typical chocies are LEAD, MOLY, and JACKETED. The main drawback is that lead is outright messy, 'toxic, and a legitimate concern when used in Glock polygonal barrels. Bear Creek Bullets offers a moly coated lead bullet that cuts down on the amount of lead that is left behind in the barrel. This is NOTHING like the idea behind using moly in rifles. There's no upsell of more velocity with less pressure. Bear Creek is simply reducing the leading that you would typicaly get if you had shot a straight lead bullet.

CRTguns
03-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I live 15 miles from bear Creek Bullets- He told me I COULD shoot his bulelts through my oem glock bbl- sure- AFTER YOU REPLACE THE KB'd barrel with a new jarvis or KKM.

took about 20 rounds- big bulge half way down.

Bear breek bullets are great. I use them in almost every other pistol and Revo I own- just not the oem glock barrel.

Glock Fan
03-08-2009, 12:35 PM
so basically if you clean it after every match it will work. i heard from a guy i shoot IDPA with that he tried it out of his stock barrel in his glock and towards the end of the match he said he thought the recoil felt stronger and he thinks it was from the build up if the lead thru the barrel. i thik that lone wolf barrel for a hundred bucks or so is probably the way to go.

but since i am juust starting to reload now i think i will try and use my glock barrel for a little while before i have to sport the hundred bucks for the lone wolf. thanks a bunch for the info! i am happy to hear that i can try to use my stock one for the time being!

JTROKS
03-08-2009, 1:29 PM
Glock Fan, since this is something that is new to me also. My advice is to do a little bit of testing before firing more than 100 rounds without checking and cleaning. I suggest shoot 10 rounds then check, then shoot 10 rounds as fast as you can. Remember that when shooting an IPSC or IDPA match the trigger is pulled a lot faster so the barrel heats up and promotes more lead buildup due to the heat. If you can shoot 40 rounds through it in under 15 seconds without lead build up then it might be safe. I was just planning to shoot around 50 rounds slow paced, but is safety really worth the cost of a LW or other after market barrel? Me thinks it is.

I wonder if Berry Bullets should be treated the same with stock Glock barrels?

bohoki
03-08-2009, 2:36 PM
the $99 lone wolf is good peace of mind

nothing but a copper jacket through my polygon rifling(glock is not alone my baby eagle has the same)

even copper coated arent good enough in my book

eaglemike
03-08-2009, 3:02 PM
A bulged barrel was not caused by shooting Bear Creek bullets unless you left one in there. I've shot many thousands of them. Other local shooters have been doing this for years. Be intelligent in your powder choice. Don't use 231 or Bullseye in 9mm or .40, for instance. Use a properly sized bullet. In 9mm use a .357 for best results. Please don't bother saying the bullet caused the case to swell. The standard Bear Creek bullets are labeled .356 and actually measure .356 to .3565. A .357 bullet is so small a difference it's not going to affect chambering and feeding. The extra .0005" can affect sealing. I've checked several factory Gloack 9mm barrels. They all measured .3565. Get a properly sized bullet. In .45, a .452 bullet is best. In .40S&W use a .401. I used to shoot a G24 in 250 round matches with zero hesitation or need for cleaning. I used WSF and either a 180 or 200 grain Bear Creek bullet loaded to maximum OAL specification for the .40 S&W. Back when I practiced I beat many open shooters using this combination at local matches.
all the best,
Mike

CRTguns
03-08-2009, 8:25 PM
A bulged barrel was not caused by shooting Bear Creek bullets unless you left one in there. I've shot many thousands of them. Other local shooters have been doing this for years. Be intelligent in your powder choice. Don't use 231 or Bullseye in 9mm or .40, for instance. Use a properly sized bullet. In 9mm use a .357 for best results. Please don't bother saying the bullet caused the case to swell. The standard Bear Creek bullets are labeled .356 and actually measure .356 to .3565. A .357 bullet is so small a difference it's not going to affect chambering and feeding. The extra .0005" can affect sealing. I've checked several factory Gloack 9mm barrels. They all measured .3565. Get a properly sized bullet. In .45, a .452 bullet is best. In .40S&W use a .401. I used to shoot a G24 in 250 round matches with zero hesitation or need for cleaning. I used WSF and either a 180 or 200 grain Bear Creek bullet loaded to maximum OAL specification for the .40 S&W. Back when I practiced I beat many open shooters using this combination at local matches.
all the best,
Mike

Well, a Bear creek bullet did bulge my barrel- what happened was one stuck in, I assume, then a second round punched it out. Was at an IPSC event, where as stated above, shots are fired in quick succesion- no time to react to the poof. If there was no powder, the gun would not have cycled and reloaded a live round.

I am ALL about bear creek bullets- I use them in other .40s, 9mm, 45 revo, 45 auto, .38 revo. Just as GLOCK says- the really sharp austrian gun engineers say, NO LEAD. Some type of paint, or polymer coating makes no exeption. I can scratch the black coat off with my fingernail- I'm sure the rifleing can too.

Now- I'm NOT picking a fight here- obviously you have some xpreience here, or some scientific explantion... Why should'nt I use Win 231 in my glock .40?

eaglemike
03-08-2009, 8:54 PM
Well, a Bear creek bullet did bulge my barrel- what happened was one stuck in, I assume, then a second round punched it out. Was at an IPSC event, where as stated above, shots are fired in quick succesion- no time to react to the poof. If there was no powder, the gun would not have cycled and reloaded a live round.

I am ALL about bear creek bullets- I use them in other .40s, 9mm, 45 revo, 45 auto, .38 revo. Just as GLOCK says- the really sharp austrian gun engineers say, NO LEAD. Some type of paint, or polymer coating makes no exeption. I can scratch the black coat off with my fingernail- I'm sure the rifleing can too.

Now- I'm NOT picking a fight here- obviously you have some xpreience here, or some scientific explantion... Why should'nt I use Win 231 in my glock .40?
If you are plinking, go ahead with 231. If you are going to shoot a "major" load I wouldn't use 231, or with a 125 or lighter in 9mm. In .45 it's likely OK, but Clays or International would be cleaner - but this is a much lower pressure round. My experience has been that a slower powder causes less build up in the barrel - just my experience. I know of people that shot a LOT of 231 in 9mm using a 147 shooting a 127/128 PF. Very little buildup with this load, could probably shoot 1K or so without cleaning. I could create a load using 540 or WSF that had about the same perceived recoil but a 136/138 PF. This took down the steel a lot better. :) Even less buildup. I know some guys have been shooting 180 grain major loads (.40) using 231. Pressure pretty high, I would not suggest using B/C bullets with that load. I'd use WSF or something of similar burn rate. Power Pistol, or equivalent. .40 is a pretty high pressure round, and seating the buller even .030 deeper makes a big difference in pressure in this round. In a Glock, I like to use the lowest pressure that will make the required PF with accuracy, and keep things clean. A lower temperature will be your friend. Again, just my experience. I used to shoot a lot of them. I still really like them. Many of the ICORE guys love them. I've seen incredible groups shot with them.

I know the Glock guys say no lead. IIRC they say no reloads. Given all the variable possible using lead bullets I'd say the same thing if I were in their shoes. Soft lead can be a huge issue due to the barrel design. Undersize conventional lead will make you think you used a torch and soldered the back half of the rifling.

It's all up to the person doing the loading and the shooting. Please be careful and a lot of testing before taking anything for granted. All the above is based on my experience. YMMV, so it's up to the reader. :)

all the best,
Mike

Glock Fan
03-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Say I do shoot the molly coats thru my stock glock barrel.... What's the worst that COULD happen? I may shoot an IDPA match this weekend with molly's in my stock G21 that's why I ask :) thanks fellas

will227457
03-31-2009, 8:45 AM
I shoot bear creek in my g17....I clean often about every 200 rounds....I have shot matchs with it and no issues.....just keep an eye on it...