PDA

View Full Version : Do you Vote in state elections?

Can'thavenuthingood
03-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Simple straight forward question.

An easy answer, yes or no.

Don't hedge or explain why or why not, this is just to get a reading of California gun owners.

This Poll is open for 7 days.

Thanks,

Vick

PonchoTA
03-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Yep. If you don't vote, you can't complain.

:yes:

chrisdesoup
03-07-2009, 11:27 PM
good question... I know of several gun owners (friends) that don't vote or even care... those, I have what I want kinda folks.

I even know a guy that said "I will never legally own a gun so who cares what the law says"...... What do you say to that?

cannon
03-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Every time.

jwest
03-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Always.

sb_pete
03-08-2009, 12:35 AM
You're going to have some serious self selection problems in this "poll." It won't be indicative of much. Not many people will feel strongly that they shouldn't vote. People that don't feel strongly at all will not respond to the poll. Most of your answers will be people who care enough to vote and to come on this thread and say, "of course I vote."

Anyways, I'm just curious what you are hoping to learn. I think it would be a very interesting question to get an answer to. I just don't think this poll, by its nature, will have any accuracy *shrug*

-Pete

Seesm
03-08-2009, 1:58 AM
good question... I know of several gun owners (friends) that don't vote or even care... those, I have what I want kinda folks.

I even know a guy that said "I will never legally own a gun so who cares what the law says"...... What do you say to that?

You never own a gun legally guy sounds like trouble anyway so he does not sound smart enough to even own a gun...

Can'thavenuthingood
03-08-2009, 2:58 PM
You're going to have some serious self selection problems in this "poll." It won't be indicative of much. Not many people will feel strongly that they shouldn't vote. People that don't feel strongly at all will not respond to the poll. Most of your answers will be people who care enough to vote and to come on this thread and say, "of course I vote."

Anyways, I'm just curious what you are hoping to learn. I think it would be a very interesting question to get an answer to. I just don't think this poll, by its nature, will have any accuracy *shrug*

-Pete

Okay Pete,
Design a poll to get some accuracy.

Ralph Weller of the California Rifle and Pistol Association says only 6% of California gun owners vote anyway.
This was in response to another discussion.

Sadly he appears to be correct.

Vick

dustoff31
03-08-2009, 3:26 PM
Yes, of course. Although many do not believe it, state and local politics/politicians have a much greater impact on one's day to day life than any federal election.

WileyWilly
03-08-2009, 3:34 PM
I vote in ALL elections that I am eligible.

WW

ljdouglas
03-08-2009, 3:54 PM
Okay then... For any of you that are too busy/lazy/blase to take the time to go to the polls, register as a permanent absentee. They send you an absentee ballot well ahead of time, you vote at your leisure and mail it back in. No excuses.

PonchoTA
03-08-2009, 4:14 PM
Okay then... For any of you that are too busy/lazy/blase to take the time to go to the polls, register as a permanent absentee. They send you an absentee ballot well ahead of time, you vote at your leisure and mail it back in. No excuses.
:yes: Yup! That's what I did for YEARS when I was in the Navy. Helped out a lot. Unfortunately, it seems that in Democratic districts, my vote was probably thrown away. :(

Now I go TO the polling place! :thumbsup:

rp55
03-08-2009, 4:15 PM
I have never missed any election, even boring little Community College and Airport board elections, since I became eligible to vote in the early 70's. Even more importantly, I have never ever tried to get out of jury duty. I put on a suit and tie and show up. I never get picked but someday I hope to get on a jury where I can make a difference for the better. The reason we get so many bizarre jury decisions is because the bozos who usually get on them are people who are too stupid to get out of jury duty.

chris
03-08-2009, 6:20 PM
everytime i can vote i can. it's my way of flipping the bird at the turds in Krapamento.

bohoki
03-08-2009, 8:30 PM
never missed a vote since i turned 18

wilit
03-08-2009, 9:00 PM
I vote in all elections. The only wasted vote is the one not cast.

devildog999
03-08-2009, 9:40 PM
Of course

sb_pete
03-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Okay Pete,
Design a poll to get some accuracy.

Ralph Weller of the California Rifle and Pistol Association says only 6% of California gun owners vote anyway.
This was in response to another discussion.

Sadly he appears to be correct.

Vick

Well, the problem is not the idea and I am not in any way criticizing your wording. Your poll sounds fine. The problem is in the self-selection bias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-selection) inherent in these kind of internet polls. They are really designed for fun questions or "should I do this or this" advice seeking kind of questions. Yours is a very serious and interesting question. You can't get a statistically significant response from this type of poll though.

In order to get a statistically useful poll, you would need to do something like a random number generated telephone poll. You would need roughly 1000 respondents who both owned guns and completed the poll. That would give you an answer that could extrapolate to a large population to within a few percent. You are also probably going to encounter some response bias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_bias) as that is the kind of thing some respondents will lie about. Of course, given the number of false numbers, non-respondents, and non-gun owners - that would be a lot of cold calls ;)

-Pete

Can'thavenuthingood
03-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Well, the problem is not the idea and I am not in any way criticizing your wording. Your poll sounds fine. The problem is in the self-selection bias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-selection) inherent in these kind of internet polls. They are really designed for fun questions or "should I do this or this" advice seeking kind of questions. Yours is a very serious and interesting question. You can't get a statistically significant response from this type of poll though.

In order to get a statistically useful poll, you would need to do something like a random number generated telephone poll. You would need roughly 1000 respondents who both owned guns and completed the poll. That would give you an answer that could extrapolate to a large population to within a few percent. You are also probably going to encounter some response bias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_bias) as that is the kind of thing some respondents will lie about. Of course, given the number of false numbers, non-respondents, and non-gun owners - that would be a lot of cold calls ;)

-Pete

I am aware of that.

This is what I have available right now.

I am not going to write a study using this Poll as data in attempts to win any arguments anywhere with anyone.

As with any poll or study there are assumptions.

Vick

johnny_22
03-09-2009, 3:55 PM

-Pete

If I received a random call, and the first question asked is "Do you own guns?" I am going to answer "NO". Best place to ask this is at a gun store, or gun show.

Fjold
03-09-2009, 4:12 PM
I vote in all elections.

Johnny Diablo
03-09-2009, 4:15 PM
Yes I vote and I check here for advice before voting.

HURLEYGO3
03-09-2009, 4:23 PM
Yes, and would hope every person on this site would vote. In this crazy state it's just as important as our vote for president.

Can'thavenuthingood
03-10-2009, 9:22 PM
107 voters so far.

Vick

SimpleCountryActuary
03-10-2009, 9:40 PM
I always vote against the Scum of My Choice.:thumbsup: