PDA

View Full Version : 2 or more gets a report to ATF?

Deal
03-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Ok guys, this was a new one on me. Then again I may be behind the curve so I am looking for to debunk or for an education.

I had a young lady at a FFL/Gun Range tell me and another Calgunner that if we do 2 or more guns at the same FFL within a 24 hour period that they are required to fill out a report and send it flagging us to the ATF.

I asked then what, we are not breaking the law.

She said, yeah but we have been told that it gives them the right to obtain a search warrant and check out my house and safe to ensure I still have all the guns I have purchased.

I said "WHAT!??" Even if I don't I would have the paperwork where I legally traded, sold them through a CA FFL, so again I am not breaking any law but still don't understand why I could be searched in my own home for this.

She swears that they do that and they guy next to her was nodding his head confirming it.

Any solid info regarding this?

Anyone else hear anything like this?

Thanks in advance.

AlexBreya
03-07-2009, 10:38 PM
No way, thats gotta be BS...

ivanimal
03-07-2009, 10:39 PM
It is true and I have bought multiple guns multiple times. I have even been called by the local ATF asking if I still owned these guns. It is no big deal as long as you are straight up.:thumbsup:

B.D.Dubloon
03-07-2009, 10:41 PM
I was going to call FUD too, but I trust Ivan more than Alex. Ivan, is it true they can get a search warrant based on that, or just that the atf will take an interest and may call you?

SJgunguy24
03-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Never heard of that before. Hell I did a PPT and my buddys name doesn't have to go in my bound book. He wasn't the last in possession of said firearm. Not saying their wrong but i've never heard of that. I think the state would jump your s*** first, not the feds.

Seesm
03-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Sounds like a load of crap but if it is true just TOTALLY lame...

AlexBreya
03-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I was going to call FUD too, but I trust Ivan more than Alex. Ivan, is it true they can get a search warrant based on that, or just that the atf will take an interest and may call you?

psssh! whateva whateva

ivanimal
03-07-2009, 10:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_3310.4

Remember it only pertains to handguns.

Deal
03-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Two of the emplyees of the store agreed that they do in fact fill out these forms and are required to do so.

I was ok that they might in fact be required to do that... but the part that concerned me was even though I am legit top to bottom with nothing to hide, I dont want to be searched by the ATF or any other agency.

B.D.Dubloon
03-07-2009, 10:48 PM
psssh! whateva whateva

No offense:thumbsup: Ivan is the man though (blatant mod *** kiss).

ke6guj
03-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Yes, if you transfer 2 or more HANDGUNS within 5 days from dealer, they are required to inform ATF. No, it doesn't mean that you're gonna get raided, but ATF is informed, and can follow up on it if they want.

(F5) As a licensed dealer, must I advise ATF if I sell more than one handgun to an individual? [Back]

If you sell or dispose of more than one handgun to any non-licensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, not later than the close of the business day on which you sold or disposed of the second handgun. The licensee must forward a copy of the Form 3310.4 to the ATF office specified thereon, and another copy must be forwarded to the State police or local law enforcement agency where the sale occurred. A copy of the Form 3310.4 also must be attached to the firearms transaction record, ATF Form 4473, documenting the sale or disposition of the second handgun.

A business day for purposes of reporting multiple sales of pistols or revolvers is a day that a licensee conducts business pursuant to the license, regardless of whether State offices are open. The application of the term “business day” is, therefore, distinguishable from the term “business day” as used in the NICS context. Example: A licensee conducts business only on Saturdays and Sundays, days on which State offices are not open. The licensee sells a pistol to an unlicensed person on a Saturday. If that same unlicensed person acquires another handgun the next day (Sunday), the following Saturday or Sunday, or the Saturday after the reporting requirement would be triggered, the subsequent acquisition of a handgun would have to be reported on a Form 3310.4 by the close of the day upon which the second or subsequent handgun was sold.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(3), 27 CFR 478.126a]

And here is the form that gets sent in. http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f33104.pdf

SJgunguy24
03-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Two of the emplyees of the store agreed that they do in fact fill out these forms and are required to do so.

I was ok that they might in fact be required to do that... but the part that concerned me was even though I am legit top to bottom with nothing to hide, I dont want to be searched by the ATF or any other agency.

I heard it can be quite enjoyable.........the search that is...........Cheif told me so:p

ivanimal
03-07-2009, 10:51 PM

You will do well here young Padawan................:D

AlexBreya
03-07-2009, 10:53 PM

Its all good! now that i think about it, if it really pertains only to handguns, that would make sense. i had a pistol and a rifle done at once, and never had the ATF contact my home. i still think it MAY POSSIBLY be a trick to keep people on their toes. :)

Deal
03-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Its all good! now that i think about it, if it really pertains only to handguns, that would make sense. i had a pistol and a rifle done at once, and never had the ATF contact my home. i still think it MAY POSSIBLY be a trick to keep people on their toes. :)

Guess you didn't read post #11

Still would like to know IF the ATF could obtain a search warrant even though some have just had calls from the ATF.

ivanimal
03-07-2009, 10:59 PM

Alex, I have had this happen many times. The only time I was contacted was when I bought a guys 7 gun collection. I got the call a few weeks later. They said they would like to see the guns. I said sure come on over but they better hurry cause I had a bunch of scouts waiting for me in an hour. The guy got huffy and said WE will decide when is the best time.:cool:

I said sure just call first. They never called back. They are just making sure you are not flippin guns to the enemy.

B.D.Dubloon
03-07-2009, 10:59 PM

Yeah I did a pistol and rifle at the same time once (saves a dros) and never heard anything about it. For some reason I thought you were 17 or 18 (I thought you posted a thread trying to get someone to hold on to an AK for you for a few months till you turned into a man:D) but I must have been mistaken.

How could you do 2 pistols within 24 hours? Can't you only do one in a thirty day period?

ivanimal
03-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Yeah I did a pistol and rifle at the same time once (saves a dros) and never heard anything about it. For some reason I thought you were 17 or 18 (I thought you posted a thread trying to get someone to hold on to an AK for you for a few months till you turned into a man:D) but I must have been mistaken.

How could you do 2 pistols within 24 hours? Can't you only do one in a thirty day period?

PPT's ma man

ke6guj
03-07-2009, 11:03 PM
How could you do 2 pistols within 24 hours? Can't you only do one in a thirty day period?PPT or cosignment purchases.

Or, if you have your C&R+COE, exempt from 1-in-30 on all purchases, C&R and modern.

If you had C&R+COE, they would have to report any multiple modern handgun purchases, but not for C&R handguns

B.D.Dubloon
03-07-2009, 11:04 PM
PPT's ma man

I was in a gun store a while ago and they said I couldn't do that. I did have sideburns down to my butt though so maybe they just wanted me out of their store. Wouldn't be the first time a gunstore gave someone a bum steer about the laws though.

TonyM
03-07-2009, 11:06 PM

I've done 4 non-PPT handguns in the last 20 days, and have another inbound.

Lookup the C&R + COE exemption, but your bank account and Wife/Husband/S.O. will hate you.

AlexBreya
03-07-2009, 11:07 PM

When i said "I", i really meant my father. i am still only 17. that AK situation was that i was trying to find an AK for my dad, not to hold it for me for 3 months :) you were not mistaken . but when its finally the day, i do get my dad's entire collection, so that AK he got will some day be mine :43:

ke6guj
03-07-2009, 11:08 PM
I was in a gun store a while ago and they said I couldn't do that. I did have sideburns down to my butt though so maybe they just wanted me out of their store. Wouldn't be the first time a gunstore gave someone a bum steer about the laws though.They were incorrect.

What fees can I charge for handling a Private Party Transfer (PPT)?
If the transaction is a PPT, you are restricted to charging no more than $25.00 in State fees described and $10.00 per firearm for conducting the PPT. For example:

For a PPT involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees are $35.00 for the first handgun, and $31.00 for each subsequent handgun.
For PPTs involving one or more long guns, the State fees are limited to $25.00 for the whole transaction plus $10.00 dealer fee per firearm transferred.
(PC section 12082)

here is hte PC section showing that PPTs are exempt from the 1-in-30.
12072(a)(9)(A) No person shall make an application to purchase more than one pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within any 30-day period.
(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to any of the following:
(viii) Any transaction conducted through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Section 12082.
And 12082 is the section that requires us to do the PPT.

sevans
03-07-2009, 11:10 PM
I can't imagine them getting a search warrant over this but I have had them call before. I bought a pair of glocks at the same time about 6 weeks earlier. They just asked if I still had them. I told them yes and that was it. They never asked for any kind of proof that I actually still owned them and didn't inquire about seeing them.

B.D.Dubloon
03-07-2009, 11:11 PM
When i said "I", i really meant my father. i am still only 17. that AK situation was that i was trying to find an AK for my dad, not to hold it for me for 3 months :) you were not mistaken . but when its finally the day, i do get my dad's entire collection, so that AK he got will some day be mine :43:

So you managed to get an AK? Congrats. If not, you can get a kit when you are a minor right? Then you could just hang on to it for a few months and build it when you turn 18.

ivanimal
03-07-2009, 11:13 PM
I can't imagine them getting a search warrant over this but I have had them call before. I bought a pair of glocks at the same time about 6 weeks earlier. They just asked if I still had them. I told them yes and that was it. They never asked for any kind of proof that I actually still owned them and didn't inquire about seeing them.

Like models get more attention according to the feds I talked to. They said its because like models are easier to move.

AlexBreya
03-07-2009, 11:16 PM
So you managed to get an AK? Congrats. If not, you can get a kit when you are a minor right? Then you could just hang on to it for a few months and build it when you turn 18.

thanks, i could make one, but my dad finally got one. he's going to pick it up in 8 days. i'm most excited for the fact that he can transfer pistols to me at 18, so waiting till 21 is out of the question. you're right about having the parts before 18 though, i bought a beowulf upper and a LPK already, the only thing i can't have is the lower.

I was going to have all the guns transfered at the same time. would the ATF call me over a 9+ gun transfer?

ivanimal
03-07-2009, 11:25 PM
thanks, i could make one, but my dad finally got one. he's going to pick it up in 8 days. i'm most excited for the fact that he can transfer pistols to me at 18, so waiting till 21 is out of the question. you're right about having the parts before 18 though, i bought a beowulf upper and a LPK already, the only thing i can't have is the lower.

I was going to have all the guns transfered at the same time. would the ATF call me over a 9+ gun transfer?

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

Deal
So let's re-cap.

She was telling us the truth about the reporting 2 or more from the same FFL Dealer within 24 hours (in fact within five business days)

Also that the ATF will follow up and at least call to confirm.

That they probably can obtain a search warrant given they had enough guns, wrong answers on the phone call or probably if it happens repeatedly.

The ATF probably won't search your home under normal circumstances unless you give them reason to be suspicious.

This is all new news to me.

Thanks all. :thumbsup:

B.D.Dubloon

Since that is intrafamily, I think that you don't have to dros or anything, that your Dad can just give them to you. Not sure on that though but if it is correct you will save a bunch of money. You are lucky your pops is cool with guns, my parents are both antis so I don't get anything from them but dirty looks. Or if they try to act interested it is just really, really awkward.

ke6guj
03-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I was going to have all the guns transfered at the same time. would the ATF call me over a 9+ gun transfer?An intra-family transfer should not involve the ATF at all.

AlexBreya
03-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Since that is intrafamily, I think that you don't have to dros or anything, that your Dad can just give them to you. Not sure on that though but if it is correct you will save a bunch of money. You are lucky your pops is cool with guns, my parents are both antis so I don't get anything from them but dirty looks. Or if they try to act interested it is just really, really awkward.

yeah, i think it would be $19 for the whole fee, and i guess the ATF wouldn't even know?

My mom is an anti, my dad doesn't even care. he likes guns now, but it took me 7 years to get him on the level of real guns. i'm just very persuasive. started with a cheap airsoft, then convinced them that if i'm gonna play in matches, i need a better gun. then to paintball, then to a cheap bb gun, then to and airforce condor airgun, then finally to real guns. we had a bolt action and a pump shotgun over a span of 1 year. in november, Obama scared my dad and I enough that he got 7 semi autos in the last 2 months :)

it helps to agree with every single thing my dad says in regards to Obama :D

sevans
03-07-2009, 11:48 PM
I'd say it's pretty unlikely you'll even get the ATF call. I've done the multi-gun transfer several times and only had the one call. I'm sure that call was because they were both similar models. Supposedly the feds look for multiple purchases of the same gun. As Ivan mentioned the feds believe those are easier to resell. I've also been told that they believe it unlikely one person would need two or more copies of the same gun so must be intending to resell. Just guessing of course as in my case it was two glocks but different models (29 and 30).

In my case I suspect it was just luck of the draw. If you did 8-10 at a time a call is probably more likely. Otherwise I doubt they have the manpower to inspect every person who buys two handguns in a day. It might be unusual in CA but nationwide the numbers would be overwhelming.

jafount
03-08-2009, 1:51 AM

A search warrant for what?

B.D.Dubloon
03-08-2009, 1:59 AM
A search warrant for what?

Your house:D I assume you mean the reason they would get the warrant, read the OP.

B Strong
03-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Ok guys, this was a new one on me. Then again I may be behind the curve so I am looking for to debunk or for an education.

I had a young lady at a FFL/Gun Range tell me and another Calgunner that if we do 2 or more guns at the same FFL within a 24 hour period that they are required to fill out a report and send it flagging us to the ATF.

I asked then what, we are not breaking the law.

She said, yeah but we have been told that it gives them the right to obtain a search warrant and check out my house and safe to ensure I still have all the guns I have purchased.

I said "WHAT!??" Even if I don't I would have the paperwork where I legally traded, sold them through a CA FFL, so again I am not breaking any law but still don't understand why I could be searched in my own home for this.

She swears that they do that and they guy next to her was nodding his head confirming it.

Any solid info regarding this?

Anyone else hear anything like this?

Thanks in advance.''

Part fact, part fiction.

Yes, nore than one firearm transfer at a time has to be reported.

No, it doesn't give ATF or anyone else the right to enter and inspect.

dustoff31
03-08-2009, 2:24 PM
I'd say it's pretty unlikely you'll even get the ATF call. I've done the multi-gun transfer several times and only had the one call. I'm sure that call was because they were both similar models. Supposedly the feds look for multiple purchases of the same gun. As Ivan mentioned the feds believe those are easier to resell. I've also been told that they believe it unlikely one person would need two or more copies of the same gun so must be intending to resell. Just guessing of course as in my case it was two glocks but different models (29 and 30).

In my case I suspect it was just luck of the draw. If you did 8-10 at a time a call is probably more likely. Otherwise I doubt they have the manpower to inspect every person who buys two handguns in a day. It might be unusual in CA but nationwide the numbers would be overwhelming.

Chances are you won't get a call. But if you do, it's important to note who the call comes from. The form for multiple handgun purchases is sent to both the BATFE and the CLEO or designated state agency where the sale is made.

bwiese
03-08-2009, 2:30 PM
Last year I DROSd/4473d two consignment guns within a few days of each other. (Colt blued King Cobra and S&W 915).

FFL was called, staff responded "Nahh, he's just's a gun nut and likes certain guns."

It will also IMHO take more than a multigun purchase to trigger a raid/warrant.

If ATF calls you to verify and requests to visit to see guns, reply "I must contact my attorney."

If they just ask you why you bought two guns in a week, say "Because I liked them and couldn't find a third I wanted to buy."

hawk81
03-08-2009, 2:35 PM
FUD, it has never happened to me and I have done it many times.

Deal
03-08-2009, 2:54 PM
FUD, it has never happened to me and I have done it many times.

Well it is a fact that it is not simply FUD.

Links have been posted to this thread that makes it a fact.

But the second part, the search part seems questionable and what I was most concerned with.

TonyM
03-08-2009, 3:16 PM
Well it is a fact that it is not simply FUD.

Links have been posted to this thread that makes it a fact.

But the second part, the search part seems questionable and what I was most concerned with.

I've done multiple handguns on one day, and inside 5 days so many times that I don't think it's "normal" to get a call about it. They've never called me. My most in one day for new handguns was 4 or 5 and 10 in that month. If they regularly called, I'm pretty sure one of my buying sprees would have initiated a call.

Warrant, over a purchase? IMO, that's a stretch of the imagination.

Deal
03-08-2009, 3:25 PM
I've done multiple handguns on one day, and inside 5 days so many times that I don't think it's "normal" to get a call about it. They've never called me. My most in one day for new handguns was 4 or 5 and 10 in that month. If they regularly called, I'm pretty sure one of my buying sprees would have initiated a call.

Warrant, over a purchase? IMO, that's a stretch of the imagination.

You do understand we are talking about all purchases at the same FFL right?

And we are talking about recently. Not like back in the day when you could buy 4 or 5 new handguns in a day. You cannot do that now unless you fit into one of the exemptions...which is not on topic.

liketoshoot
03-08-2009, 3:25 PM
Last year I DROSd/4473d two consignment guns within a few days of each other. (Colt blued King Cobra and S&W 915).

FFL was called, staff responded "Nahh, he's just's a gun nut and likes certain guns."

It will also IMHO take more than a multigun purchase to trigger a raid/warrant.

If ATF calls you to verify and requests to visit to see guns, reply "I must contact my attorney."

If they just ask you why you bought two guns in a week, say "Because I liked them and couldn't find a third I wanted to buy."

I never got a call, (yet) but If I do I'll say you told me to say this. LOL

TonyM
03-08-2009, 3:34 PM

And we are talking about recently. Not like back in the day when you could buy 4 or 5 new handguns in a day. You cannot do that now unless you fit into one of the exemptions...which is not on topic.

Yes, I get that, and yes... I'm talking about almost every month in the last 2 years I've exercised my ability to get more than one every 30 days.

See my prior post in this thread. I have also done it w/o exemptions for PPT's.

ETA: Even with the exemptions, the 3310.4 is required.

Deal
03-08-2009, 3:45 PM
Yes, I get that, and yes... I'm talking about almost every month in the last 2 years I've exercised my ability to get more than one every 30 days.

See my prior post in this thread. I have also done it w/o exemptions for PPT's.

ETA: Even with the exemptions, the 3310.4 is required.

Wow! I would say that I probably buy more used guns than the average person in a month. But I can't get near what you claim to be able to do.

The FFL has been called denying me another purchase of a new handgun because of the 30 day rule and this has happened more than once.

My most in one day for new handguns was 4 or 5 and 10 in that month.

If you don't mind sharing (even thru a pm or email) how do you manage this? I must be doing something wrong. I would love to "exercise my rights" too!

ke6guj
03-08-2009, 3:48 PM
If you don't mind sharing (even thru a pm or email) how do you manage this? I must be doing something wrong. I would love to e"excerse my rights" too!Most likely has his C&R+COE, or is an exempt catagory like an LEO.

Deal
03-08-2009, 4:16 PM
Most likely has his C&R+COE, or is an exempt catagory like an LEO.

Now that is what I thought too. but he said no after I posted this:

So maybe he knows something I don't. I hope he does and doesn't mind sharing it with me.:thumbsup:

TonyM
03-08-2009, 5:59 PM
Now that is what I thought too. but he said no after I posted this:

So maybe he knows something I don't. I hope he does and doesn't mind sharing it with me.:thumbsup:

I said no to only buying new using the exemption. I've done both new multiples (using the exemption needed by law), and multiple PPTs which need no exemption. If your FFL is telling you no on multiple PPTs, you need to inform them there is no limit, or get a new FFL.

I've done 4 non-PPT handguns in the last 20 days, and have another inbound.

Lookup the C&R + COE exemption, but your bank account and Wife/Husband/S.O. will hate you.

Deal
03-08-2009, 7:35 PM
I said no to only buying new using the exemption. I've done both new multiples (using the exemption needed by law), and multiple PPTs which need no exemption. If your FFL is telling you no on multiple PPTs, you need to inform them there is no limit, or get a new FFL.

That is more like it. Yeah I have done that more times than I can coulnt. As far as "myFFL'm well... if I had "one". I bet I travel more than anyone on these fourms to get and aquire a firearm I really want on a regular basis.

You got one of us confused when you said
Originally Posted by TonyM
My most in one day for new handguns was 4 or 5 and 10 in that month.
NEW Handguns are not second owner handguns (considered used and require a PPT as you know). New handguns are generally thought to be new purchases of new handguns from a FFL dealer. Unless you had an expemtion somehow I knew of no law allowing you to purchase "...in one day...4 or 5 new handguns and 10 in a month."

Thanks for clearing that up.

jafount
03-08-2009, 7:40 PM
Your house:D I assume you mean the reason they would get the warrant, read the OP.
I read the OP I'm just trying to figure out why someone would make the jump to the ATF getting a judge to sign off on a warrant to search for perfectly legal and legally transferred firearms. The constitutionality of such a search is illegal from the outset.

To me, this is a "totality of circumstances" situation. In this example there doesn't appear to be any impropriety. Or am I totally missing something?

B.D.Dubloon
03-08-2009, 7:52 PM
I read the OP I'm just trying to figure out why someone would make the jump to the ATF getting a judge to sign off on a warrant to search for perfectly legal and legally transferred firearms. The constitutionality of such a search is illegal from the outset.

To me, this is a "totality of circumstances" situation. In this example there doesn't appear to be any impropriety. Or am I totally missing something?

Oh yeah, it sounds like crap to me. If they can get a warrant signed off for something as specious as that then this country is in worse shape than I thought. I assume the OP thought the same thing and is just checking to make sure it isn't true because if it is true that seems to be stretching the bounds of probable cause a little bit more than is justifiable.

nick
03-08-2009, 7:52 PM

Check out the thread here where a guy's house got raided when his neighbor called the police and complained that he "had too many guns".

CenterX
03-08-2009, 8:46 PM
Check out the thread here where a guy's house got raided when his neighbor called the police and complained that he "had too many guns".

Yep, I did and I'd say that there is a hint that there is more to the story.

As for multiple purchases in 5 days - use a variety of FFLs. They are sprinkled all around if you go looking for them.

I once had an FFL tell me to wait a couple of days so he wouldn't have to do more paperwork. I wasn't in such a hurry so I did. Now I understand the comment.

Ivan is the man on this issue - I am tempted to try this out and see what happens.

devildog999
03-08-2009, 9:43 PM
That is a bit ridiculous

nick
03-08-2009, 9:50 PM
That is a bit ridiculous

That would describe many of the laws and practices in California :)

SVT-40
03-08-2009, 11:38 PM
The ATF form 3310.4 is the "Report of multiple sale or other distribution of pistols and revolvers" form. Dealers fill it out and submit it to BATFE. No notification to the buyer just the report usually faxed into BATFE.

Here is a copy of the form.

BS on the warrant though. That is just laughable.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Scans%20%20Photos%20ect/doc108a.jpg

Quiet
03-09-2009, 12:43 AM
A copy of the ATF form 3310.4 also gets sent to CA DOJ BOF.