PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor shot at me today...

Seesm
03-07-2009, 8:45 PM
(I am sorry if this is NOT the right area for this)

Soooo my kids, two buddies and I are plinking cans on my property today.

After we shot about 30-40 rounds we hear a single shot and then about 30 seconds later we hear rapid fire about 10-20 rounds. Mind you the bullets are whizzing above our heads during the shots. (we are shooting 90 degrees to the neighbors home)

So at this point, we stop shooting and try to figure where the shots are coming from. They are from the 19 acres behind my 11, so I carefully peek around my home and yell to him to stop. He of course does not answer to my very loud yells of "HEY we are down here stop shooting"

So we hop in my little beater Toyota truck (my buddy who knows my neighbor cuz he used to work for him comes with me) We drive up the powerlines to ask him what is up...?

He is of course drunk and putting away his gun into his truck when we meet him in front of his house.

His first words are "Get the f*ck off my land your trespassing, leave now"

(This same guy has threatened to shoot my dog and or cat if seen on his land)

I ask him "What is going on, why are you shooting at us... My kids are outside with me that is terribley dangerous and stupid"

Hey say's I am shooting at you cuz a few weeks ago you shot over my barn at me. (This of course is untrue and I told him this)

So as he is yelling to leave and we are leaving, I call the sheriffs dept to have them come make sense of all this...

Fast forward about 30-40 mins after I spoke to the officers and they spoke to him...

He said he was shooting at a Coyote (Rapid fire with his .22 yeah right?) and he is sorry I thought he was shooting at us... (Mind you my 4 witnesse saw and heard what happened) and another neighbor who lives kinda next to but in between us both drove over and was like "What the heck was all the bullets flying through the woods?"

It was scary and very lame... I was all fired up and I was more worried about how I have to be careful cuz I do not want to lose my 2a rights....

So I sit in my home dark tonight (typing on Cal Guns) :) waiting for him to show up... He is a drunk loose cannon and the whole area knows it... Hope the night is quiet....

kermit
03-07-2009, 8:55 PM
Wow, I'm glad that you are all unharmed.

Next time you have to talk with him, take along a video or audio recorder. Unfortunately until something bad happens, the police aren't going to be able to do much without more evidence. You had your friend there as a witness, but nothing beats playing back the neighbor's words.

Keep your head down.

Seesm
03-07-2009, 9:01 PM
Thanks yeah I have spoke to the one Sheriff on the phone a few times he understands my feelings and I hope it does not happen again...

I asked him (the sheriff) do you have ANY idea what would have happened if he shot one of my kids....? Me I am not all that worried about as I faced him unarmed face to face. The kids are the most important thing to me...

It's just a bad deal, but I too am glad we are unharmed thanks man!!

paintballergb
03-07-2009, 9:09 PM
Wow that's scary. Good thing no one was hurt. You handled it very well. Better than I would have.

drexotic
03-07-2009, 9:09 PM
I hate confrontations with neighbors . . . Just no good answers in most cases!

Maybe he'll have an epiphany, stop drinking, apologize for being such a bone head and all will live happily ever after ! :eek:

CitaDeL
03-07-2009, 9:14 PM
I hate confrontations with neighbors . . . Just no good answers in most cases!

Maybe he'll have an epiphany, stop drinking, apologize for being such a bone head and all will live happily ever after ! :eek:

Maybe he will have a Darwin Award moment- either by his own hand or someone who is less tolerant of his misplaced gunfire.

AlliedArmory
03-07-2009, 9:15 PM
glad you were not hurt. but that is a prime example why so many are anti-gun. people not being responsible

Seesm
03-07-2009, 9:18 PM
Wow that's scary. Good thing no one was hurt. You handled it very well. Better than I would have.

I had to stop and think for sure to make sure to not make any stupid moves... My neighbor wanted me to bring a gun but I said no... I wish I could of but it woudl have opened a whole other can or worms.

Anyway he is a interesting dude for sure, he is one of those guys who "thinks" he do anything and his sh*t does not stink so it is tough.
And even worse when you have a few cans of "Instant attitude" in you.

I have no problems really with him other than this but I see him quite often and I just look the other way as he is not worth my time anyway.

Seesm
03-07-2009, 9:19 PM
glad you were not hurt. but that is a prime example why so many are anti-gun. people not being responsible

for sure.... and BTW I am joking but who shoots rapid fire with a .22 at a "pretend" Coyote? :)

kermit
03-07-2009, 9:25 PM
for sure.... and BTW I am joking but who shoots rapid fire with a .22 at a "pretend" Coyote? :)

If he gives you any more trouble, that's what you can tell the officer you were doing, "The woods are just full of them critters tonight!" :43:

Seriously, you handled it well. I would have been sorely tempted to return fire once I found the source of the problem. :36:

M. Sage
03-07-2009, 9:28 PM
I always thought that if someone shoots at you, it's perfectly reasonable to shoot back...

Ron-Solo
Glad no one was hurt. The previous advice about recording any contact with the neighbor is sound advice. Should it come to it, it will hold up better in court. Not taking a gun with you was a common sense move, it shows you weren't looking for a confrontation, only a solution.

Stay safe.

Jonathan Doe
Commendable restraint. There are some stupid people for sure. I am sure he will get into trouble eventually.

SJgunguy24
03-07-2009, 9:29 PM
Thank god none of you were hurt. I shoot on private land sometimes but it's way up on Mt. Umunhum. There was one time a couple of dudes on dirt bikes came up on us.....well OK me, but it was classic. Private land.......dirt bikes.....camoed out dude wearing body armor with an AK...........and a side arm........classic.

Can't the sherrif arrest the guy if he's drinking and admits to shooting? I'm not sure there's a law but a night in jail for being an idiot and shooting at people for no reason is maybe justified.I.M.O.

Seesm
03-07-2009, 9:31 PM
Oh I thought about just unloading on him with my other pee shooters as I am human and almost came un-glued but I thought and I thought before I moved on it all...

My kids had a few ideas for sure what to do but I went with my ideas instead. So for that it was a great learning experience for them so I thankful for that. The lesson I taught them today to assess situations before acting. And of course making the right choice to allow you to fight another day...

Seesm
03-07-2009, 9:36 PM
They ask me what I want I wanted to do and I asked the Sheriffs to grab his guns at least for tonight and they thought about it for like 30 seconds and the younger one said "Well if I grab his I grab your too for safe keeping"

Pretty lame making it seem like I should have my guns taken when all I did was call them to to make sur eit did NOT get into a bigger deal...

And about can you shoot at them if they shoot at you.. Yeah I am sure I could have IF I "saw" him shoot at me... I knew he was and he knew he was but the LEO's would not see it that way I am sure.

MILLITIAof1
03-07-2009, 9:36 PM
Oh I thought about just unloading on him with my other pee shooters as I am human and almost came un-glued but I thought and I thought before I moved on it all...

My kids had a few ideas for sure what to do but I went with my ideas instead. So for that it was a great learning experience for them so I thankful for that. The lesson I taught them today to assess situations before acting. And of course making the right choice to allow you to fight another day...

You did way better then I would have... I would have tortured him for a few days and then thrown him in a lake with a anchor.
But I dont have kids to watch my every move either.

SJgunguy24
03-07-2009, 9:43 PM
You my good man need....................TANNERITE:43::eek:

G-Man WC
03-07-2009, 9:45 PM
Glad to hear things did not escalate further. Not sure why the LEO did not read the guy the riot act or confiscate if he was handling a weapon and drinking? Does the guy have livestock or have property thats been shot up? Hope it works out for you bro and your neighbors bad case of red A** clears up soon. -g

Seesm
03-07-2009, 9:50 PM
I am not sure what they said to him but I do know they said "IF he (me) shot over your barn a week ago at you (which I did NOT) you should have called us (LEO) then." (I agree 100% with the Sheriifs on this)

I am however surprised they did not do more... Sucks what if he kills us all as I type on Cal Guns...WTF? :)

What would tannerite do for me btw.. I know about you can shoot it and blwo it up... (Good times) but what would it help me today...?

B Strong
03-07-2009, 9:58 PM
You my good man need....................TANNERITE:43::eek:

And drill his frame for thickness.

SJgunguy24
03-07-2009, 10:07 PM
It might just shock the hell out of the guy. Maybe he'll leave you alone for good.

Thats worked for me in the past, escalation of violence. I had a rough upbringing though. Sometimes thats what it takes for some people to get the message. Metal listening skater with long hair, living in a group home, going to a school where everybody is a gangbanger. Great way to grow up:thumbsup:

Seriously though you can't reason with a unreasonable person. That dude will prove Darwin's theory is true. I don't know man thats a tough one. You want to be the bigger man but he put your kids in harms way and to me...........DON'T EVER THREATEN MY CHILDERN........ I don't envy you right now, I don't think I could sleep. Do you have night vision?

NSR500
03-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I am however surprised they did not do more... Sucks what if he kills us all as I type on Cal Guns...WTF? :)

Dibs on your guns!

What's your address again?

:thumbsup:

Seesm
03-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Dibs on your guns!

What's your address again?

:thumbsup:

I will PM you my address in the next 30 seconds... Waaaiiiit for it :)

NSR500
03-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I will PM you my address in the next 30 seconds... Waaaiiiit for it :)

Okay...

I'll go gas the car... :p

SJgunguy24
03-07-2009, 10:11 PM
What this stuff

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MX9w9PDTr7s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MX9w9PDTr7s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Never heard of it:thumbsup:

SJgunguy24
03-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Naw it's a refridgerant tank, empty of course. We wouldn't want to offend any greenpeace members

AlexBreya
03-07-2009, 10:18 PM
nothing fixes a problem like bear traps or a brick to the face!

Seesm
03-07-2009, 10:21 PM
nothing fixes a problem like bear traps or a brick to the face!

Alex your not thinking about losing your gun rights we fight so hard for!! :) Don;t get me wrong in the right situation I will take care of business but this was not "that situation" But I like where your heads at!! :)

AlexBreya
03-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Alex your not thinking about losing your gun rights we fight so hard for!! :) Don;t get me wrong in the right situation I will take care of business but this was not "that situation" But I like where your heads at!! :)

well a brick isn't related to guns, so if you must handle things like a good neighbor, a brick is always the answer! even if you just throw it through the window.

here's another plan, but the ridiculous factor is by far x5

sneak into his humble home late at night, when he's passed out drunk. find his guns. lodge bullets into the barrels. do an extreme spin move with a roll at the end to escape with no detection. next day, start shooting as you were. if he shoots at you again, his guns will explode, therefore rendering them useless.

if the cops don't help, a brick or being a spy will. good luck!

SJgunguy24
03-07-2009, 10:31 PM
well a brick isn't related to guns, so if you must handle things like a good neighbor, a brick is always the answer! even if you just throw it through the window.

here's another plan, but the ridiculous factor is by far x5

sneak into his humble home late at night, when he's passed out drunk. find his guns. lodge bullets into the barrels. do an extreme spin move with a roll at the end to escape with no detection. next day, start shooting as you were. if he shoots at you again, his guns will explode, therefore rendering them useless.

if the cops don't help, a brick or being a spy will. good luck!

I'm seeing the entire Leapers catalog being used in this mission.......even the grappling hook:ninja:

Availible at your local mall airsoft store:thumbsup:

ZRX61
03-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Let me get this straight. The guy fires at your family group, you have FOUR witnesses, he tells the cops he is sorry & thats the end of it?? WTF?

Josh3239
03-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Let me get this straight. The guy fires at your family group, you have FOUR witnesses, he tells the cops he is sorry & thats the end of it?? WTF?

I was thinking the same thing? If the guy is such a jerk and he almost killed you why not press charges?

Seesm
03-08-2009, 12:40 AM
I did NOT see him shoot AT US (NONE of us did) as he was on the side (be it back side) of my house he has 19 acres and us 11 he "could" have been shooting a Coyote (but he was not and he knows it)

He said to me he was shooting at me cuz I shot at him a few weeks ago... (which again DID NOT happen)

Anyway I am not sure how bad you have to be to get arrested but I guess this situation was not bad enough for them...

We live in the woods basically.

Tomorrow I will be looking at the back of my home to see if there are any bullet holes... (no windows busted out that I could see) when I started to look it was starting to get to dusk anyway...

Not sure what to do the Sheriff gave me one legal idea to do Monday I will update after I figure if that is the way I want to go.

Btw you do not get arrested for being a as*hole cuz if you did he'd of been locked up years ago... He is NOT well liked locally but his family is well connected in the county and own most of the county so I think that has something o do with it... :)

What charges would I press anyway? I think all they could do is maybe a charge of reckless firearm discharge (i think that may be one)

goober
03-08-2009, 12:45 AM
to the OP:
Sorry to hear of your run-in with your neighbor. I strongly urge that you immediately cease discussing courses of action and strategies that might be illegal and certainly could be used against you should the situation escalate further and legal action occur. I know everyone is just joking, but we all know how legal cases can be.... Hopefully it will never come to that, but you should plan as if it will.
Stay safe and be smart. We're your friends here and want you and yours to get through this without any further problems.
to everyone else: you know the drill.

Seesm
03-08-2009, 12:50 AM
I do not think I discussed any courses of action (legal or otherwise)cuz the only course of action I will take is to talk to the LEO I dealt with and do legal things come Monday at the court house.

I appreciate your concern and I thank you for the post for sure.

Dark&Good
03-08-2009, 3:02 AM
I'm not a star here (or anywhere), but I know not to touch my gun when I drink. Somehow, I don't even think of it... even though that would give me some disadvantage if I'd get in a "hot" situation.
Careful with that guy; I'm glad you are there, writing to us.

Seesm
03-08-2009, 3:10 AM
Thanks yeah all seems ok... I truly hope he leveled his head a bit.. I STILL can NOT imagine just firing 1 round not knowing wher eit is going and he just un-loaded like 10,15 20 not sur ebut it was a BUNCH... I was pumped he was shooting (cuz I like guns) until I realized he was shooting towards US!! Silly me huh? Haha

B.D.Dubloon
03-08-2009, 3:12 AM
I'm not a star here (or anywhere), but I know not to touch my gun when I drink. Somehow, I don't even think of it... even though that would give me some disadvantage if I'd get in a "hot" situation.
Careful with that guy; I'm glad you are there, writing to us.

Is it illegal to shoot while drinking? I like to drink and shoot on BLM land and have always been under the impression it is legal, although ill advised.

Seesm
03-08-2009, 3:15 AM
Big Dick your a funny kid... I like your style!!

I do sometimes like to drink and I like to shoot but it seems like a bad combination not because of what you may do but what people may say you did... If your sober you can look like agood guy and if drunk you just well... you look drunk. :)

Dark&Good
03-08-2009, 3:22 AM
Is it illegal to shoot while drinking? I like to drink and shoot on BLM land and have always been under the impression it is legal, although ill advised.

I didn't say anything like "legal" or "illegal".

B.D.Dubloon
03-08-2009, 3:55 AM
Big Dick your a funny kid... I like your style!!

I do sometimes like to drink and I like to shoot but it seems like a bad combination not because of what you may do but what people may say you did... If your sober you can look like agood guy and if drunk you just well... you look drunk. :)

Yeah, the only place I drink and shoot is BLM way out in the middle of nowhere. I've gone out there for 3 days (I go during the week, not Sat/Sun) and only seen one other vehicle not counting small planes. If it were more populated I wouldn't but If I am out there with just a buddy or two I am confident that noone will get hurt. Although the chances of someone getting hurt are increased a bunch I am sure. It goes from "nil" to "so close to nil" that I am willing to chance it. Plus Pabst goes great with guns.

Also please note that i am a funny grown man:D Just because I listen to VC rap music does not mean I am a kid, just that I am really immature:thumbsup:

I didn't say anything like "legal" or "illegal".

You sound kind of defensive. Let me assure you that I am not trying to put words in your mouth. Your post just got me to thinking and I was hoping you or someone else might have the answer. I think if you reread my post you will see that I just asked a question. Sorry if you misinterpreted me.

BDD

Dark&Good
03-08-2009, 4:11 AM
Well, you could've asked your question without any reference (quote) to my earlier post ;)
But I don't know the exact law about alcohol and shooting, if there's any. I would suspect that there is one (if there is one for driving a car), but it's Kali, you know. :D

tankerman
03-08-2009, 4:18 AM
I don't think I would go back over to his property again with the idea of trying to talk to him. Let the Sheriff handle it from now on, too risky trying to deal with an armed drunk.

SJgunguy24
03-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Do it the "Chicago Way"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7g0RLyxP13o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7g0RLyxP13o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

B Strong
03-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Glad you and yours are OK, but it might be a good idea not to post any shoulda, woulda, coulda stuff in case anything happens to your drunken neighbor.

packnrat
03-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Would it be wrong, to post up his address and name, so when we (calguns members) are in the area we can stop by and ask how to get someplace?

Steve O
03-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Get all of this documented!

Write the events, have whiteness's sign it. Date it.
This could very easily turn in to a self defense situation you know!

And if it does, it will be your reputation vs his reputation, and you will most likely win.

bowfin
03-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Seesm,

No one got shot, no one is dead, so that is proof that you handled it well. One can always escalate, but you can't go back and unring a bell.

Otherwise, I agree with Kermit, try to catch the next "coyote" in a crossfire...

Steve O
03-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I always thought that if someone shoots at you, it's perfectly reasonable to shoot back...

That's what I'm wondering. If you have a drunk neighbor who is shooting at you, and you light up his location with suppressive fire is that self defense? In the battle field it is, but I'm assuming in the eyes of the law, they will ask who fired first. then you could be the culprit.

Blue
03-08-2009, 11:34 AM
That's what I'm wondering. If you have a drunk neighbor who is shooting at you, and you light up his location with suppressive fire is that self defense? In the battle field it is, but I'm assuming in the eyes of the law, they will ask who fired first. then you could be the culprit.

That's all bad. The cops are gonna turn it into somesort of hill billy fire fight and screw everyone.

xibunkrlilkidsx
03-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Maybe he will have a Darwin Award moment- either by his own hand or someone who is less tolerant of his misplaced gunfire.

like me cuz he would of had a .308win coming at his head. 1 shot is a mistake, unloading a clip is a malicious attempt at bodily harm.

TO the thread starter..
ever though about making a small little firing pit that has a berm to kind of muffle the noise and maybe protect you from his gun fire, in the event of it happening again?

jasilva
03-08-2009, 11:58 AM
OP, you have a couple of options.

You can call the sheriff back out and inform them you want him arrested and prosecuted. This is a citizen's arrest, so the sheriff has no choice but to comply. However IF you lose the ensuing court case he now has grounds to pursue a civil claim against you.

You can also contact the district attorney and discuss the matter with them. It appears to me you have a fairly decent case. You've got witnesses that the bullets travelled in your direction. You have the suspected shooter admitting to you and a witness that he shot in your direction and you have the suspect's own admission he was shooting his gun(even if he claims he was not intentionally shooting at you). This is pretty solid grounds for reckless endangerment at the very least and attempted murder since he admitted shooting at you.

Your third option is to go to the court and get a temporary restraining order against him. This will most likely result in the sheriff being sent out by the judge to retrieve his weapons until a hearing is held to see if the order should be made permanent. Downside to this is he could attempt to do the same to you and get your weapons taken, but if you have a reasonable judge who isn't an anti gun nut this isn't likely. The other bonus to the restraining order is it gives you a much more solid case of self defense if he shows up on your property and you have to defend yourself or your family.

Just curious, what county is this in?

Joe

t0kie
03-08-2009, 2:19 PM
Good thing is nobody hurts.

Tell your kids to stay away & not to be outside without letting you know first.
________
ELECTRIC CIGARETTES (http://www.ecigarettes123.com/)

xibunkrlilkidsx
03-08-2009, 2:34 PM
That's all bad. The cops are gonna turn it into somesort of hill billy fire fight and screw everyone.

lol i can see the news reports.

"A small arms battle insued between 2 neighboors today. The events looked much like those seen in Iraq and mexico. where large volumes of small arms fire was exchanged between rival land owners. The use of automatic assualt rifles using the newest and deadliest armor piercing baby huntin ammo used by both sides. But no one was hurt."

Seesm
03-08-2009, 6:21 PM
I don't think I would go back over to his property again with the idea of trying to talk to him. Let the Sheriff handle it from now on, too risky trying to deal with an armed drunk.

100% I am not even paying any attention to him... He is never really in his back field but ny chance today he was on his skidsteer and I just stayed up in the front, we shot some BB Guns today but nothing with powder today... :)

Glad you and yours are OK, but it might be a good idea not to post any shoulda, woulda, coulda stuff in case anything happens to your drunken neighbor.

Ahhh yeah I will not be posting anything like that cuz I will do it all legal, this is not worth all I can lose.

Would it be wrong, to post up his address and name, so when we (calguns members) are in the area we can stop by and ask how to get someplace?

He would start yelling and threaten you if you did that, as he is just THAT kinda guy... His first thing he always says is get off my land your tresspassing.... This one time about 3 yrs ago he has a fire he put about 5 gallons of gas on and lit it, as I watched him do it... It was crazy big so I rode up the powerlines on my minibike to see if he needed any help with it as it WAS OUT OF CONTROL and he just said "Get off my land I havd it all under control and don't worry about it" He is just creepy all the way around. He is divorced can you imagine THAT? :)

Seesm,

No one got shot, no one is dead, so that is proof that you handled it well. One can always escalate, but you can't go back and unring a bell.

Otherwise, I agree with Kermit, try to catch the next "coyote" in a crossfire...

I agree about not being able to "un-ring" a bell. If I took a shot at a Coyote I would hit t with one round and I am no hero shot, who shoots a coyote with 10+ rounds at 20 feet height with a .22? A .22 woudl just hurt it unless a perfect shot and then that woudl be 1 shot 1 kill to the dome.

Yeah if he kept firing at us I think that I what would have to happen but I was thinking clear and distinct moves to ensure we were ok and try to fix the situation... I work my life on what my gut tells me to do and it said to stay calm and be the man here. What kinda of person starts shooting at someone like that? Not a law abiding citizen in my eyes anyway/

OP, you have a couple of options.

You can call the sheriff back out and inform them you want him arrested and prosecuted. This is a citizen's arrest, so the sheriff has no choice but to comply. However IF you lose the ensuing court case he now has grounds to pursue a civil claim against you.

You can also contact the district attorney and discuss the matter with them. It appears to me you have a fairly decent case. You've got witnesses that the bullets travelled in your direction. You have the suspected shooter admitting to you and a witness that he shot in your direction and you have the suspect's own admission he was shooting his gun(even if he claims he was not intentionally shooting at you). This is pretty solid grounds for reckless endangerment at the very least and attempted murder since he admitted shooting at you.

Your third option is to go to the court and get a temporary restraining order against him. This will most likely result in the sheriff being sent out by the judge to retrieve his weapons until a hearing is held to see if the order should be made permanent. Downside to this is he could attempt to do the same to you and get your weapons taken, but if you have a reasonable judge who isn't an anti gun nut this isn't likely. The other bonus to the restraining order is it gives you a much more solid case of self defense if he shows up on your property and you have to defend yourself or your family.

Just curious, what county is this in?

Joe

I think Option 3 is the best way... I am concerned about my guns but not sure what to do... I did NOTHING wrong other than driving up the powerline easement on his land... (the easment runs through both our lands) But it was at a moments notice and it was that way 30 seconds to his home instead of 5 + minutes down and around a few roads. Option 3 is what the Sheriff told me to do... I think its the only option really.... Are you a lawyer by chance...? You seem like you have a firm grasp on things here. :) PM me about my county please.

jasilva
03-08-2009, 6:39 PM
:eek:No way, I'm not a lawyer. But I was a deputy sheriff once upon a time. Also had a run in with a problem neighbor a few years back. I think it's one of Murphy's Laws that everyone has to have one crazy ahole neighbor.

Joe

Seesm
03-08-2009, 7:10 PM
True Joe true.. I think I am gonna just steer clear of him and not make any waves...

I talked to another neighbor who is a detective for the county next to us and he said just stay cool like I have so far. And to not waste my time doing a TRO since it will take the better part of a day to get 72 hrs of a restraining order. He does not think it's worth my time. I am safe and armed I think... :)Funny thing is he and I will shoot sometimes, how funny woudl that be if he shot at a detective I think the outcome may have been a fair bit different. If he keeps himself and his bullets out of my land and airspace I think we are good. Well sorta good anyway in the situation!! :)

Blue
03-08-2009, 7:35 PM
lol i can see the news reports.

"A small arms battle insued between 2 neighboors today. The events looked much like those seen in Iraq and mexico. where large volumes of small arms fire was exchanged between rival land owners. The use of automatic assualt rifles using the newest and deadliest armor piercing baby huntin ammo used by both sides. But no one was hurt."

Exactly. And then the guns they show as the weapons are a 10/22 and an old H&R shotgun. Along with "thousands of rounds of ammo" being 22lr.

ryang
03-08-2009, 9:06 PM
Tomorrow I will be looking at the back of my home to see if there are any bullet holes... (no windows busted out that I could see) when I started to look it was starting to get to dusk anyway...
It's a felony to shoot (and hit) an inhabited building. Legal definition of "inhabited" means people live there, not that someone was inside at the time shots were fired.

LEOs can arrest for felonies at any time. Misdemeanors are only arrestable if committed in the officer's presence. (I'm not talking citizen arrest.)

devildog999
03-08-2009, 9:38 PM
So what happened to him?

Seesm
03-08-2009, 9:40 PM
Yeah I could not find any holes in the house last night or today in the daylight.... So he knew not o shoot my home I am thinking... He shot a pile of rounds but I heard a bunch wizz ovre our heads but still do not know if he shot my house...

Seesm
03-08-2009, 9:41 PM
So what happened to him?

Well not totally sure what was said from the Sheriffs to him, but I bet he drank a few more beers and went to sleep thinking he got away with something... (which he did) Pretty lame huh?

rabagley
03-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Interesting that he thought that shooting over your house was better than hitting it.

When I was first hunting, we hunted on the family farm and my dad told me not to shoot at a deer on the ridge because if I missed, the bullet would keep going and I wouldn't know where it was going to land (know your target and what's behind it). That afternoon, there was a deer visible on the ridge and my dad and I shared a quiet look as I acknowledged his rule.

I have never forgotten the drive we took the next day through the Pennsylvania hillsides on the other side of that ridge and we took a look at all of the houses that were in the line of fire for a shot over that ridge. I almost threw up thinking about what might have happened if I had taken a shot at that deer. I was 13 years old and the lesson has never worn off.

Dear f*ing lord this kind of irresponsibility pi**es me off.

CABilly
03-08-2009, 10:35 PM
So, you shot over his barn at him? Like, did you aim it about 80 degrees up and wait to see where it landed like those Internet penguin trajectory Flash games?

Seesm
03-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Interesting that he thought that shooting over your house was better than hitting it.

When I was first hunting, we hunted on the family farm and my dad told me not to shoot at a deer on the ridge because if I missed, the bullet would keep going and I wouldn't know where it was going to land (know your target and what's behind it). That afternoon, there was a deer visible on the ridge and my dad and I shared a quiet look as I acknowledged his rule.

I have never forgotten the drive we took the next day through the Pennsylvania hillsides on the other side of that ridge and we took a look at all of the houses that were in the line of fire for a shot over that ridge. I almost threw up thinking about what might have happened if I had taken a shot at that deer. I was 13 years old and the lesson has never worn off.

Dear f*ing lord this kind of irresponsibility pi**es me off.

YOUR a responsable gun owner and SHOOTER it appears. I applaud this and I am too. Hopefully he takes other stupid moves and loses his rights and ends up in jail.

So, you shot over his barn at him? Like, did you aim it about 80 degrees up and wait to see where it landed like those Internet penguin trajectory Flash games?

Well from what he said it happen last week... (Again untrue)

But I only shot 1 time last week (not near his barn or property in anyway) In fact I shot on the property in front of mine with my oldest son and LEO neighbor and his two kids pointing the COMPLETE opposite way of the neighbor who shot at me... At least 1/2 a mile away from said "barn" If I had a easy way to draw you a realistic map you would be appauled at the jacka*sery of this guy...

Q
03-09-2009, 4:34 AM
:D
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/pdvd0376wc.png

That's some scary stuff. The story reminds me of a video I saw on the most dangerous police videos on spike tv where this drunk guy was in between a car and barn.

Ron-Solo
03-09-2009, 9:11 PM
Don't listen to suggestions about throwing bricks, etc. Advice like that will turn you into an inmate fast. Avoid direct contact with him, document every contact with him and the names of any witnesses. Report any further problems to the Sheriff and get the names of the deputies that respond. Let them do your talking for you, that's what you pay taxes for, and that's what they get paid to do.

Confronting him yourself is going to result in someone getting hurt, killed, arrested, or all of the above.

If he comes on your land creating a problem, call the Sheriff right away, and take REASONABLE efforts to protect you and your family. Deadly force is rarely, if ever, justified to protect property. Reasonable, is going to be what is reasonable to the average individual, not the average gun enthusiast.

It will fall upon you to convince people that it was self-defense.

Get to know the local deputies. The more they get to know you, the better off you will be.

BTW, there is no "reckless endangerment" law in California. Someon'e been watching too many TV cop shows again.

The following California Penal Code section may be helpful.

246.3. (a) Except as otherwise authorized by law, any person who
willfully discharges a firearm in a grossly negligent manner which
could result in injury or death to a person is guilty of a public
offense and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not
exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.

A key to this for the deputies to arrest is that someone, other than your problem neighbor, is going to have to see him shoot or there must be other compelling evidence that establishes probable cause to arrest. The more info you can give to the deputies, the better off you will be.

Above all, STAY SAFE and keep the law on your side.

xibunkrlilkidsx
03-09-2009, 9:56 PM
Exactly. And then the guns they show as the weapons are a 10/22 and an old H&R shotgun. Along with "thousands of rounds of ammo" being 22lr.

LOL..."1000's" of rounds of 22lr fired from 10 round magazines and loaded bywith half a box of federal bulk still sitting next to the pile.

Lethal_addict
03-09-2009, 10:09 PM
This is going to sound crazy... but i would go to his home. Ask him whats up, (no guns other than what is cocked and concealed in your lower back) explain how you feel and pull out a bottle of Jack single malt and invite him for a drink...

I'll bet all problems go away... Good luck.

Seesm
03-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Don't listen to suggestions about throwing bricks, etc. Advice like that will turn you into an inmate fast. Avoid direct contact with him, document every contact with him and the names of any witnesses. Report any further problems to the Sheriff and get the names of the deputies that respond. Let them do your talking for you, that's what you pay taxes for, and that's what they get paid to do.

Confronting him yourself is going to result in someone getting hurt, killed, arrested, or all of the above.

If he comes on your land creating a problem, call the Sheriff right away, and take REASONABLE efforts to protect you and your family. Deadly force is rarely, if ever, justified to protect property. Reasonable, is going to be what is reasonable to the average individual, not the average gun enthusiast.

It will fall upon you to convince people that it was self-defense.

Get to know the local deputies. The more they get to know you, the better off you will be.

BTW, there is no "reckless endangerment" law in California. Someon'e been watching too many TV cop shows again.

The following California Penal Code section may be helpful.

246.3. (a) Except as otherwise authorized by law, any person who
willfully discharges a firearm in a grossly negligent manner which
could result in injury or death to a person is guilty of a public
offense and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not
exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.

A key to this for the deputies to arrest is that someone, other than your problem neighbor, is going to have to see him shoot or there must be other compelling evidence that establishes probable cause to arrest. The more info you can give to the deputies, the better off you will be.

Above all, STAY SAFE and keep the law on your side.

Thanks this was a good read and good thoughts!!

rocketrod
03-10-2009, 9:53 AM
This sounds like a good argument for a 7' cinder-block wall along your "range"! Then he ken pick his toes and drink his moonshine to his black heart's content...

Seesm
03-10-2009, 12:04 PM
We have talked about a few different types of walls quite a few times with some of his comments and such. But he has a small home in the front (we can't see) and a nice field and a barn (that is ok to look at) He really keeps to himself most of the time except for some words and bullets... :)

rocketrod
03-17-2009, 9:29 PM
OK, then just go for the air strike...

TheBundo
03-18-2009, 11:33 PM
What this stuff

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MX9w9PDTr7s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MX9w9PDTr7s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Never heard of it:thumbsup:

Hmmmm, me seems to know that little Panoche spot :D

rumble phish
03-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Shoot him in the *** with some rock salt. he'll never forget it. i know I haven't! :)

BigBamBoo
03-19-2009, 8:46 AM

DDT
03-19-2009, 9:08 AM
Rules of engagement...when taking fire....locate hostile person or persons....overwhelm hostile person(s) with return fire of a higher volume of fire untill said threat is neutralized and or no longer a threat. Violence of action is key...so use your cover well and always....ATTACK..ATTACK...ATTACK.

Good luck,Stan

These are the kinds of comments the anti's just love.

Decoligny
03-19-2009, 9:14 AM
These are the kinds of comments the anti's just love.

Rules of engagement when taking fire:
1. Locate source of fire
2. Identify if source of fire is negligent fire or hostile fire
3. If negligent fire, maintain cover until fire ceases, either confront and correct individuals negligence with either educational talk, or police involvement.
4. If hostile fire, maintain cover and and if in fear for your life or if any of your party is in grave danger, shoot to stop the threat.

_Odin_
03-19-2009, 9:28 AM
You should of returned fire.

BigBamBoo
03-19-2009, 10:18 AM

valleyguy
03-19-2009, 10:41 PM
It would have been very stupid to have fired back -- both of them could have been arrested, had their guns confiscated, and maybe even injured or killed bystanders who had nothing to do with the incident. The OP did the adult, mature, and responsible thing by not escalating this (this isn't Afghanistan or some such 3rd world lawless ****hole, you know) and by getting the law involved. Now there's a record and a report on this guy, and a case to build on.

epic4444
03-19-2009, 10:58 PM
wow i cant believe he would really shoot anywhere near you with a gun...even a .22...that is a horrible place to be...hope nothing more comes from that

Seesm
03-22-2009, 9:35 PM
I know when to return fire I think... this by chance was not that time.

edittman1
03-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Place a restraining order against him. Then he has to give up his guns.

But be prepared for him to do the same to you...

Seesm
03-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Place a restraining order against him. Then he has to give up his guns.

But be prepared for him to do the same to you...

yeah no thanks.

ZRX61
03-23-2009, 12:59 AM
But I only shot 1 time last week (not near his barn or property in anyway) In fact I shot on the property in front of mine with my oldest son and LEO neighbor and his two kids pointing the COMPLETE opposite way of the neighbor who shot at me... At least 1/2 a mile away from said "barn" If I had a easy way to draw you a realistic map you would be appauled at the jacka*sery of this guy...

You have a witness who is a Cop & still no charges? I would have thought shooting in the general direction of a cop wasn't conductive to a long, healthy & non-bullet riddled life?

Seesm
03-23-2009, 1:46 AM
No sorry if I miss stated what happened with the cop neighbor...

The guy who shot at us said you shot at me over my barn last week.... I told him (the shooter) no way we shot 1 day last week and we were in the front of my land shoot the abosolute opposite direction of hsi barn and or house... (I was with my cop neighbor) when the guy shot at us it was 2 buddies and my two kids and I.

I had stopped by my neighbor (cops) house after this happened and he just shook his head and I forgot now what he said....... But yeah shooting at a cop sis not so good.