PDA

View Full Version : TURNER'S... AGAIN

STiiBS
03-07-2009, 7:26 PM
Turner's Outdoorsman has now hit ABSOLUTE rock bottom...

Check this out, not only do they not know what they're listing they have it priced like it was a Brand New Nighthawk Custom GRP. This item is USED by the way.

Absolutely ridiculous, it's so ridiculous it's downright comical.

Turner's GREAT Outdoorsman, home of the 3-hour Private Party Transfer and Billy Bob and Bubba hustling overpriced junk to the General Public.

http://www.turners.com/shop/gundetail.php?id=5941

VegasND
03-07-2009, 7:37 PM
A few weeks ago I was in L.A. and there was a Turner's on Firestone near Studebaker, just a few blocks from the folks I was visiting. I made my first trip to Turner's. I explained that I'm a Nevada resident, had never been in one of their stores, and was curious. The young man behind the counter was helpful and seemed intrigued that I'd never been in one of their stores. He showed me several rifles, including a pump AK (sorry guys, that was pathetic)

I asked to look at used pistols, thinking I might find something to have sent home to my FFL. An older guy in the back came out and said that there would be a '$150 FFL charge' (whatever that is) to send it to my dealer. I've bought guns in other states and I've just paid the price plus shipping. NOBODY has ever added on some crazy fee for allowing me to be their paying customer. Needless to say, I didn't purchase anything.

ohsmily
03-07-2009, 7:37 PM

Check this out, not only do they not know what they're listing they have it priced like it was a Brand New Nighthawk Custom GRP. This item is USED by the way.

Turner's GREAT Outdoorsman, home of the 3-hour Private Party Transfer and Billy Bob and Bubba hustling overpriced junk to the General Public.

:rolleyes: WTH are you going on about? What used gun are you talking about? Was it a consignment gun? Which Turners was this? What is going on here?

STiiBS
03-07-2009, 7:42 PM
I added the Link, check it out. Have a quick laugh after checking it out. It's for a Walther PPK .22 Cal Consignment for $2,100 !!! BTW, it comes with 1-Mag. LOL.

SanMiguel3
03-07-2009, 7:45 PM
Looking at the link, it's a consignment gun. A Walther PPK/S in 22, quite rare, though description does not quite match the photo.

Not sure why the OP is going on and on about it. Turners don't set the consignment prices. But then again, I guess he felt the need to get in on the Turners bashing to fit in. :rolleyes:

5150Marcelo
03-07-2009, 8:02 PM
ever thought that it could be a T-Y-P-O ???

come one bro.

5150Marcelo
03-07-2009, 8:03 PM
Looking at the link, it's a consignment gun. A Walther PPK/S in 22, quite rare, though description does not quite match the photo.

Not sure why the OP is going on and on about it. Turners don't set the consignment prices. But then again, I guess he felt the need to get in on the Turners bashing to fit in. :rolleyes:

Turners doesnt set the consignment price no. BUT, they do RECOMMEND the price that is set. So why wouldnt the seller disagree. Theyre getting more money. Why not, if it doesnt sell, they just drop the price a tad.

nick
03-07-2009, 8:10 PM
They did call it a P22, they sometimes get the model wrong. I remember going to the Turner's in Norwalk expecting to buy a Steyr M95 rifle. Well, it was a carbine, which are $75 at Big5, not a rifle. As for the price, .22lr PPK/S are rare. Not sure it warrants this price, but it does cost more than a regular PPK/S.

STiiBS
03-07-2009, 8:10 PM
Just commenting about how out of touch with Pricing Turner's is especially with their Consignment Weapons... Do you really think the "Sales" guys don't have a part in "recommending" a price point for the Consignment.

I had the mis-fortune of going to help my friend buy a G17 via PPT at West Covina Turner's. It will never happen again.

SanMiguel3
03-07-2009, 8:34 PM
Yeah so the "sales" guys may have had some input in the consignment pricing, what of it? "Out of touch" how? Has there been a glut of comparable PPK/S in 22 lr sales lately to set the market?

I've done 4 PPT transactions at Turners (Orange and Fountain Valley) in the last 2 years and not once did I have a problem or poor attitude with different guys helping us, so I'm somewhat mystified as to these reported problems.

Jonathan Doe
03-07-2009, 8:34 PM
Isn't consignment guns price set by the seller? The stores can suggest the price for the owners, but untimately, I thought the sellers set the final price.

nick
03-07-2009, 8:37 PM
I picked up a few consignment pieces at various Turner's at good prices. It's the seller who sets the price.

There's a .22lr Walther PPK/S on Gunbroker, I wonder what it'll close for:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124488647

03-07-2009, 9:11 PM
Three months ago I've seen a guy who put a well used Taurus Raging Bull in consignment at Turners Norwalk. He was so convinced his revolver was worth $900 because Obama won the election, he wouldn't listen to any pricing advice he was given. As of last Friday his gun was still there.

nick
03-07-2009, 9:16 PM
Three months ago I've seen a guy who put a well used Taurus Raging Bull in consignment at Turners Norwalk. He was so convinced his revolver was worth $900 because Obama won the election, he wouldn't listen to any pricing advice he was given. As of last Friday his gun was still there.

Heh, some people are... interesting. Then again, you never know, maybe if it stays there for another year or two, he might just get that price. If nothing else, inflation might take care of it.

Deal
03-07-2009, 9:27 PM
HOLD ON OP!

I am not a huge fan of Turners although the Norwalk store does me right and I do business with them pretty often.

I was actually there when this gun came in. The OWNER showed to me and was trying to sell it to me for $2500!

It is a very rare gun and like new!

The gun owner had been selling off many of his rare gun collection to raise money for someone's medical bills as I recall.

Really nice guy. After speaking with the manager there, I was called over and offered the guy for $2100. I refused it and it went on consignment.

Turners did not set this price or talk the guy up. It is worth it, certainly to the gun owner who like anyone on calguns, can set his price at whatever he feels it is worth. If anything the Turners guy talked him down a few hundred.

Turners does pleanty for us to get angry about, but you missed the target on this one!

Deal
03-07-2009, 9:28 PM
I picked up a few consignment pieces at various Turner's at good prices. It's the seller who sets the price.

There's a .22lr Walther PPK/S on Gunbroker, I wonder what it'll close for:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124488647

Nick, apples and oranges. Go by Turners Norwalk and see the gun. Then tell me it is like the one on gunbroker.

wilshire1412
03-07-2009, 9:36 PM
I noticed the PPK/S in question a few weeks ago on the Turner's website, along with quite a few other consignment guns that seem to be priced higher than any usual conception of value. I think it is a sign of the times in part, if I was trying to get top dollar out of what I have I suppose I could take it down there and ask very high prices and see what happens. I wonder if the owner wight be trying to speculate according to how much a German PPK in .22lr can bring, which could be close to that much in this state what with the limited supply and the :mad:roster B.S.:cuss: and all.
I can't imagine that someone will buy it at that price, but then at one time when I worked behind the counter (not Turners) I had a customer consign some guns just to appease his wife:7:. He put them up for sale at very high prices and they sat for about a year, picked them up and took them home and told the wife that no one wanted his guns:shrug: so they would have to stay.:thumbsup:

nick
03-07-2009, 9:51 PM
Nick, apples and oranges. Go by Turners Norwalk and see the gun. Then tell me it is like the one on gunbroker.

Not saying the one at Turner's isn't worth the price. WHat I'm saying is that I don't know what they go for. I've never seen a .22lr PPK/S in my life, all I know is that they're rare.

nick
03-07-2009, 9:54 PM
Pity though, I wouldn't mind getting a .22lr PPK/S, I collect the guns based on PP design; but there's no way I'll pay $2100 for one. It may be worth it, I just can't justify spending $2100 on it. If I were a serious collector, then maybe.

The SoCal Gunner
03-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Turners Fountain Valley had two pre-lock Smith & Wessons a few days ago when I stopped in.

A model 60 and model 36. Both were set at $350 I believe.

Turners get 20% from consignment sales right?

CALI-gula
03-08-2009, 10:30 AM

OK - I have actually held this exact gun, which is on consignment at the Turner's Norwalk store. I was there two weeks ago looking at it when I did a PPT there, and ironically, was there just yesterday for the pick up.

To set this thread straight, yes, this gun is in New-In-box condition, and it is in one of the older black boxes from a good while ago. A blued non-Interarms PPK-S in .22LR is VERY rare, and especially in the condition this one is in. It's a must see if you do stop in that store. If I recall correctly, it is not Interarms marked, boosting its value substantially. They aren't making more and they didn't make too many to begin with; and many German made models didn't get to the US due to GCA '68. Walther made some of the best compact semi-auto .22LRs that actually work.

By the way, the price is not too far off the mark. Comparing it to pricing of a Nighthawk is like comparing the price of a new 2009 ZR1 Corvette to a 1967 Corvette L-88 with a 427, where the sale of the 1967 example may go for nearly $1 Million (Only 20 were made). One gathers one price due to being the latest example, but the other is priced due to scarce nature, while the latest example is a much better machine in performance and power.

While $2100 may seem steep comparatively, I could see a Walther collector paying that without quibble, though I think a more reasonable price would hover around $1700, and it would be a GREAT price at $1500.

Actually, I would buy it if I didn't have my eye on other interests for the moment.

rkt88edmo
03-08-2009, 12:02 PM
ignorant lame and comical?

andrewj
03-08-2009, 12:25 PM
I like Turners. I must be the only one

Danield
03-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I agree, we have to make a special forum...whining about Turners. If you don't like the service or the prices, don't shop there.

626Tony
03-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Pasadena turners are the best hands down the guys know their stuff and are honest problem is the shelves are empty they had a shipment of various new glocks come in and in 3 days all were gone they also had springfield M1-A's I wanted the match black with the stainless barrel i went home to get my credit card like a dummy not putting it on hold or opening my mouth cause i dont live far and when I got back it was gone some idiot bought MY gun that I have waited for oh well point not all are bad keep away from FOUNTAIN VALLEY , ORANGE, CHINO, AND RESEDA personally I like WEST COVINA AND MOST OF ALL PASADENA

Deal
03-08-2009, 1:14 PM
So you have TWO Calgunners who have held the gun in their hands, one (me) of us telling you what the owner of the gun offered the gun up at, the other calgunner, (CALI-gula) who really knows rare guns, telling you it is a fair deal yet after shooting down Turners Norwalk you can't publically give them some credit that maybe you were wrong in this case?

I am not so sure that "Turner's sux" is applied right across the chain. While their stock is low, lots of guns stores have the same problem.

They don't like PPT's, well who does? The gunowners don't. Why should the stores who make nothing (virtually) for doing all the paperwork? I have found that if you try to purchase something while you are in the store doing PPT's, things move along much better. Once in a while, I will buy a gun either new or consignment from each of the stores I use (Turners or others) just so that it isn't a one way street. Try it, it works.

Should one of the Turners or other stores hapopen to read this, they will know who I am but try this, you know they hate doing paperwork instead of selling, and talking guns with you... if you have done several PPT's (and have not bought anything) try buying the store a pizza or two. Hey a free lunch goes a long way with folks trying to get home with a decent paycheck these days.

Also, I think certain people who plan on staying with the stores have a much different attitude towards customers than does the kid that is helping you and who is looking for his next job already. Try this; Corona: ask for Chris. San Marcos: Amanda, Redondo: David is the man, Norwalk: Rich or Jessie (Barb is very nice too). Can't help with the other stores but I'll bet other members here can.

:rant:

paul0660
03-08-2009, 1:23 PM
As of last Friday his gun was still there.

Which is what happens to stuff that is overpriced. Too much dough for you, don't buy it. If someone rich or uninformed buys it, good for the seller. I am baffled by the idea some people have that there is a "right" price for anything. It isn't in the 2A, that's for sure.

ljdouglas
03-08-2009, 2:59 PM
I've never had anything but a positive experience with Turners Redondo. Never been to any of the others except once to Signal Hill to buy ammo. Just wish Redondo was the size of Signal Hill...

bplvr
03-08-2009, 3:18 PM
Just from hacking around I'll bet that this is a "Last Edition " 50th Anniversary PPK/s in .22 lr. The gold inlay gives it away . With the original box and papers it isn't a fire sale price ,but not out of line.

dadoody
03-08-2009, 3:33 PM
Turners is alright. If I go to the one in Orange on Weekends, the staff @ the gun counter is very helpful and responsive, and they got a cute girl working the registers who always gives me the eye.

She wants me. Oh yeah.

railroader
03-08-2009, 3:48 PM
I'm glad we have Turner's around but I hate doing PPTs there. Sometimes they take forever and at least 3 times their computer has been down. Meet somebody at Turner's for a transfer after a 1 hour drive and no computer. Then running around trying to find someplace else. Mark

CALI-gula
03-08-2009, 8:14 PM
Just from hacking around I'll bet that this is a "Last Edition " 50th Anniversary PPK/s in .22 lr. The gold inlay gives it away . With the original box and papers it isn't a fire sale price ,but not out of line.

Nope - much older model.

Deal
03-08-2009, 8:17 PM
Nope - much older model.

And is in new condition. Owner said the gun has never even been loaded.

wcnones
03-08-2009, 8:33 PM
I suppose the OP finds a couple fellow CalGunners "ignorant, comical and lame" based on the "deals" they've offered recently in the marketplace?

Or is it only cool to hate on Turners? I'm not familiar with the cool-guy protocol around here, so excuse me if I'm being ignorant, comical and lame.

outlawleatherworks
03-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Turners doesnt set the consignment price no. BUT, they do RECOMMEND the price that is set. So why wouldnt the seller disagree. Theyre getting more money. Why not, if it doesnt sell, they just drop the price a tad.

So...bonehead....is the 22 still there....then MAYBE the seller priced it too high....SOME PEOPLE DON'T LISTEN TO SOUND ADVICE!

RT13
03-09-2009, 12:01 AM
All I can say is the Turner's in Norwalk are one of the decent Turner's around. I have bought guns from them in the last 8 years and done a few PPT's there. Never a problem. Good guys though some employees may seem dumb or grumpy. Dean is the grumpy old guy that sits in theback. I think he's the manager. He is a really good guy and very helpful esp to new shooters who don't come off arrogant or know it all.