PDA

View Full Version : .22 Pistols and Youth

xxxx
03-07-2009, 7:57 PM
I am thinking about getting a .22 pistol for my own personal use (main reason: price, not worried about accuracy) and for my little cousins to learn to shoot with. I personally like the Ruger MKII but I know if I was a kid I would find that to be "boring" - I was thinking about a P22/Mosquito since it gives a more "real handgun feel" thus relates to more fun for the youth. What do you guys think?

nick
03-07-2009, 8:13 PM
Well, if accuracy isn't important, the P22 or Mosquito might work :)

I like Beretta U22 Neos (accidentally, that's the one I have :)). It looks like a space gun, and it happens to be very accurate, as well. I teach my niece on it, and she loves it.

CSACANNONEER
03-07-2009, 8:27 PM
Having worked for over 6 years at a range that rented guns, I'll suggest staying away from polymer framed .22s. They all can and will fail long before a MKII, Buckmark or High Standard will. Also, teaching someone how to shoot properly really requires a somewhat accurate and percise shooting gun.

rdmax
03-08-2009, 12:31 AM
I have a Kimber .22 conversion for a 1911. They work great. I know that Sig makes one as well for Sigs. In this way, they have the full feel of a big bore pistol and all its functions. It will be great for you as well to get a lot of practise on cheap ammo on your full size frames.

SFFRONTMAN
03-08-2009, 3:19 AM
Stay away from the sig misquito and the walther p22, buy a browning buckmark or a ruger mk 1/2/3 and you will be much happier.

ontmark
03-08-2009, 8:08 AM
It depends on how much you want to spend.

All of these are good; In order of increasing expense:

Ruger
S&W 22A.
Browning Buck-Mark
Sig Trailside
Beretta 87 Target
Benelli MP95
S&W 41

You can go even higher with Hammerli, Walther, Pardini and others.

Used, look into Colt Match Targets, High Standard (Hamden) pistols and the S&W 41.

Smith and Wesson no longer makes the excellent and inexpensive 422 model but you can find them for around $200. It's accurate, will feed anything and easy to take down to clean.

Buckmark standard. Very easy to clean and eats everything you put in it, accurate, nice balance, great controls and great trigger. The ruger is good also but has some quirkiness to it (grip angle etc.) and the Buckmark is better out of the box IMO, especially the trigger.

rkt88edmo
03-08-2009, 9:24 AM
"real handgun feel"? steel is real ;) get the mark II

How little are you rlittle cousins? I'm working on getting a ruger bearcat into my 22 collection.

fairfaxjim
03-08-2009, 9:33 AM
"real handgun feel"? steel is real ;) get the mark II

How little are you rlittle cousins? I'm working on getting a ruger bearcat into my 22 collection.

+1 on the smaller bearcat revolver for youth training. As for accuracy, why don't younger shooters deserve accuracy? If you train the correctly, they will become good shooters, and will come to expect accurate and consistant results. The novelty of just shooting will wear of quickly, and the feedback and reward of good shot groups and accurate shooting will have to replace it to keep their interest.

Many of the already listed .22's are great for learning. I always start new shooters with a .22 revolver - usually a Ruger Single Six. Easy to operate and very easy to practice muzzle saafety while loading and unloading. Then on to .22 semi auto. If using a semi-auot and they are young, make sure that they can manipulate the slide when the hammer is down - it is awkward and difficult for weaker people. Not being able to work something that is already difficult to learn is very frustrating, particularly for children.

However, the big news is +1 to you for taking the time and effort to do this for them. It is the only way they are going to get to learn about handguns, and the only way hand gun owners will continue to exist.

j1133s
03-08-2009, 9:35 AM
I am thinking about getting a .22 pistol for my own personal use (main reason: price, not worried about accuracy) and for my little cousins to learn to shoot with. I personally like the Ruger MKII but I know if I was a kid I would find that to be "boring" - I was thinking about a P22/Mosquito since it gives a more "real handgun feel" thus relates to more fun for the youth. What do you guys think?

If you own a 1911 or any other pistol that has a conversion kit (Glocks, Sigs, Beretta), then I'd suggest getting a kit instead since you're looking for "real". Most of these look like their originals.

civilsnake
03-08-2009, 10:31 AM
MkII not real?! Tell that to Solid Snake! You just need to set your cousins in front of a PS3 with Metal Gear Solid 4. They'll learn to appreciate that MkII.

And if they don't want to shoot as much as they want to play with cool guns, you're probably better off not taking them at all. If they want to learn to shoot they'll do it with anything.

maxicon
03-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I'd agree that it depends on the age.

My kids liked handguns that were easy to handle, and weren't worried so much about accuracy. When they were young, their favorite .22s were revolvers, as they're much easier to load than mag fed pistols.

As they got older, they preferred lightweight semis like the Mosquito and P22. My red dotted bull barrelled MkII was far more accurate than any of those, but they would only shoot a mag or two because of the weight and size.

The target may have ended up looking like a shotgun pattern, but they had fun.

For accuracy, when they wanted to actually shoot small groups, they preferred a 10/22 or Marlin 60 with a light, compact scope.

YMMV, as always, but that's how it worked with my kids.

Gregchico
03-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I would agree with the Bearcat for a first 22lr. If you want an auto loader I chose the P22 and very much enjoy it. It is soda can accurate at 25yds and fits small hands very well. Mine also eats Fed bulk pack very happily.