PDA

View Full Version : San Fran gun ban proposal...is this likely to pass?

TonyNorCal
10-21-2005, 7:14 PM
This gun ban that is coming up for ballot in Nov...is it likely to pass? If it does is it likely to survive a court challenge?

Charliegone
10-21-2005, 8:27 PM
My guess is it will pass:rolleyes: but there will be a court challenge, as for that.. I have no idea.

PanzerAce
10-22-2005, 1:27 AM
dunno. IIRC, the SFPD has officailly come out against it, but since im in the central valley now, dont pay enough attention to Silicon V

Mike
10-22-2005, 3:27 AM
Ok, I've been out of kali for a month....what is the SF ban all about?

PanzerAce
10-22-2005, 9:12 AM
IIRC, SF is trying to get a hand gun ban passed in november. Basically, you could still OWN a hand gun if you lived in SF, but you would not be allowed to have it in SF. on the other hand, non SF residents could still have their handguns in sf.

I thinkk thats a pretty accurate summary, but I got up 12 mins ago, so it might be flawed

Taz77
10-22-2005, 9:35 AM
IIRC, SF is trying to get a hand gun ban passed in november. Basically, you could still OWN a hand gun if you lived in SF, but you would not be allowed to have it in SF. on the other hand, non SF residents could still have their handguns in sf.

I thinkk thats a pretty accurate summary, but I got up 12 mins ago, so it might be flawed

from what i read, it's not just a handgun ban. it's a firearms ban, in which sf residents will not be able to purchase a handgun, and must relinquish to authourities, or sell within a given time. in addition, sf residents may no longer purchase any rifles and shotguns, but they are able to keep the ones they currently own.
i read this off a website, but i lost it... i'll have to look it up again.

edit: www.stopsanfranban.com

lazyman
10-22-2005, 11:13 AM
I talked to blackgun in person, real knowledgable and nice guy, he said that there's no chance that it will pass, but who knows?

scott
10-22-2005, 1:54 PM
LOL, 213 victims in 1999. I bet more kids drowned in pools that year. What's the population of SF, like 4 million? That makes your chances of being the victim of a handgun-perpetrated crime 0.000053%. Not to mention that they say 213 people were "affected" by firearm violence, but don't discern whether this includes things like self-defense or police shootings. My guess is that it's ALL shootings in 1999, legal or not.

Given the city's politics (similar to West Hollywood, which is my local equivalent to SF in these terms) I expect the measure will pass. And we all know it's simply because people don't want you to have any type of power. It has nothing to do with crime.

I've had more close encounters with the grim reaper due to SUV drivers yapping on cell phones.

PanzerAce
10-22-2005, 3:17 PM
LOL, 213 victims in 1999. I bet more kids drowned in pools that year. What's the population of SF, like 4 million? That makes your chances of being the victim of a handgun-perpetrated crime 0.000053%. .

ah, the fun of ignorance...not to be mean, but SF is no where near 4 million. Hell, there might be just barely 4 mil in all of Silicon valley...pop 2004 estimate is: 744,230

Hell, San Jose has a larger pop than sf.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06075.html

icormba
10-22-2005, 4:28 PM
ah, the fun of ignorance...not to be mean, but SF is no where near 4 million. Hell, there might be just barely 4 mil in all of Silicon valley...pop 2004 estimate is: 744,230

Hell, San Jose has a larger pop than sf.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06075.html

yeah, San Jose is actually the 3rd largest in the State & 10th largest city in the country! We overtook Detroit a couple years ago when they all moved here to San Jose & the rest of the bay area. ;)

PanzerAce
10-22-2005, 5:05 PM
yah, Im from Cupertino orginially, so it was kinda wierd, 50k vs almost 1 mil....